Gucci Vintage Information Thread

ok gucci addicts!! My first vintage bag is coming in a week or so. It is a blue travel tote from the 1980's. It is in great condition but missing the removable strap. I want to use it but also keep it looking great. Any suggestions how whether the leather should be treated, conditioned, etc... or should I just leave it as is. Should the canvas be treated.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 251
This bag belonged to my grandmother and my mom believes she bought it in Italy in the 1960's. I have found the pattern before, but I can't find any similar bags with the same type of strap. It's some sort-of material wrapped in thread, I think. I wish I knew so I could figure out if it could be cleaned. Does anyone know? Or if anyone has anymore information on the bag in general.

Thanks!

unnamed.jpg

This bag belonged to my grandmother and my mom believes she bought it in Italy in the 1960's. I have found the pattern before, but I can't find any similar bags with the same type of strap. It's some sort-of material wrapped in thread, I think. I wish I knew so I could figure out if it could be cleaned. Does anyone know? Or if anyone has anymore information on the bag in general.

Thanks!

View attachment 4174775

I contacted Gucci directly from their site. I had to send them pictures of my bag and they got back to pretty quickly. Unfortunately, they couldn’t help me because they do not use that particular leather anymore. Maybe you could give that a shot? If you search this site for handbag repairs, you may be able to find the name of the repair shop in New York that quite a few people on this site have used for repairs and refurbishing.

Reactions: bella89
ok gucci addicts!! My first vintage bag is coming in a week or so. It is a blue travel tote from the 1980's. It is in great condition but missing the removable strap. I want to use it but also keep it looking great. Any suggestions how whether the leather should be treated, conditioned, etc... or should I just leave it as is. Should the canvas be treated.

I would just leave it as it is

Thanks!

View attachment 4174775

You'll have to show me the inside before dating.

Absolutely, try not to get water on the print, certainly don't try to clean the print at all but if you can manage it you could try to hand-wash just the 'rope' part of the strap ad let it naturally dry. Don't dry clean. The printed outer may not be colourfast and many older bags show bleeding where people have tried to clean. Gucci will repair bags but not clean them for most clients.

Thanks!

View attachment 4174775
Oooh, love it! I guess this is where Michelle got the twisted straps for this Fall collection.

Reactions: bella89
You'll have to show me the inside before dating.

Absolutely, try not to get water on the print, certainly don't try to clean the print at all but if you can manage it you could try to hand-wash just the 'rope' part of the strap ad let it naturally dry. Don't dry clean. The printed outer may not be colourfast and many older bags show bleeding where people have tried to clean. Gucci will repair bags but not clean them for most clients.
Thanks for your input! I really appreciate your response. Eventually I would like to try and get it professionally cleaned but I wanted to have some knowledge of what shouldn’t be done. Here’s the interior.
6F4A469C-89EB-4331-8E1A-964ABE6AFBE0.jpeg

Hi all! Does anyone have suggestions on where to get my pre-loved Gucci bag (purch. from Vestiaire Collective) repaired? There is a small place where the stitching has popped loose on the front of the bag near the tab (see photos below). I have thought about contacting Gucci customer service but don't know if repair is possible through Gucci CS since I didn't purchase from Gucci directly.

Any thoughts or suggestions?IMG_0107.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg