Good haircut for thick hair? Also... how to specify layers?

Im a stylist,I think you need to tell your stylist to use the razor,while giving you layers,this makes the layers more wispy,but also thins your hair at the same time.Or you could just flat out ask the stylist to use thinnnig shears because you find your hair to bulky

I have thick hair too. I went to this stylist and she totally hacked off my hair by texturizing it. I hated it. It looked like a shag. I let it grow out and I just recently found a new stylist who knows how to use a blade and knows how to texturize and my hair is great. It has shape and form and though it's not as thick, it has a lot of volume. If you guys live in San Jose, CA...visit LOFT A2.

My hair is very thick and I have it cut into long layers - the shortest layer only 2-3" shorter than the longest. It looks great, the layers can either flip under or be a little wavy, but the rest is straight and smooth. Also, use a smoothing product (I like Joico) something with silicone to smooth the hair.

Yep, I've got thick, wavy hair as well. It's smooshed under a baseball hat in my avatar and is a little longer now too.

When blunt cuts were all the rage I couldn't do 'em. When 'the Rachel' came out my layers wouldn't lie smooth like hers and just looked poofy and silly.

Not that I want 80s big hair to come back but boy I could rock that style back in the day :lol: :upsidedown: .

I agree with other posts that pictures say it best when speaking to your stylist about what you want.

To keep mine from frizzing, I use a couple smoothing products when drying my hair and use a large barrel curling iron. Once I finger out the loose curls, my hair almost lies smooth!

good luck! :flowers:

I have really thick, full Asian hair. My stylist often razors it or otherwise just cuts into it to reduce the volume. I don't have that much layering going on. Taking a photo in is a good idea. A good stylist would be able to figure out what to do, or tell you if a hairstyle wouldn't work with your hair type. My stylist is a godsend. I've been going to her for almost 15 years. She has never given me an unsatisfactory cut.

Also, about a year ago, I got my thick, full, super straight hair permed so it has gentle waves. That also helps keep it more tame. I have hair that's about 2 inches below my shoulders and I only go in for haircuts every 2 - 3 months and I'm fine.

I always ask for long layers. I have SUPER thick hair and it's wavy too. It's a little past my shoulders. The extra weight makes it lay flat a little. I wish I had thinner hair though...
its funny cus my friend has thin hair, and she always wishes she had thicker hair...she said that thin hair makes her look like she's balding!! lol