Gilt Group

I'm going to agree with pretty much everything Jenaywins has said in this thread.

I used to love Gilt...I purchased from them probably 4-5 times a week and looked at their sales every single day. However I slowly noticed that the prices were not that much of a deal and that items would show up weeks later at higher prices (usually if they sold out very quickly the first time). I also had a few bad experiences with how my items were packaged and the wrong item showing up etc. Ultimately I've slowed down how much I shop with them. I still have tons of credit stored up that i have to use so I do check in once in a while, but I shop differently. What it comes down to it you have to look at the item and decide WHAT IT IS WORTH TO YOU. If the ring is worth $x to you and that is what gilt is charging then buy it. But if they are charging more then you pass. With these timed sales you have to stick to your price, otherwise you get dragged in.

And like jenaywins said (and I don't see how she was rude at all) if you dislike Gilt's policy, you stop shopping with them. The only way a company will change their policies is if the consumer forces them to (and you force them to by not giving them business). Complaining doesn't do much if you're still give them business, and thus profits.

That's probably the one positive---I'm not a big fan of Gilt anymore, but it sure is easy to return...and free return shipping (hence why they charge a boat load to ship in the beginning)

I stopped shopping at Gilt as much as well; it just seems like they used to have a lot of things I was interested in at decent prices... There was a time last summer when I was spending $1k+ per month with them. Now, not so much; however, their return policy still kicks a lot of butt.

I think it's important to have a general idea of what the retail price of the item is before buying. I know there's a time constraint but you could add the item to your cart and run a search in a separate window.

I find hautelook to have the wrong prices sometimes. I fell victim to a Romeo and Juliet sale. They made the retail price more than it was and when I got the sweater, the price I paid was only $6 off retail! :cursing:

I remember the HOH1960 sale...they had the Gilt prices, with the retail prices lined out. But they were the same number.

If it was so, I don't understand why OP assumed she was getting discount...

I rarely buy from Gilt anymore because I'm not very impressed by their selections since they expanded their business so much.

I also am frustrated with gilt. I now shop on the outnet instead. Their prices are better and you can return items for a refund.
True. LOVE the Outnet. And when they have a random "take an extra 30% -- sometimes up to 50% off" sale, now THAT is a sale.
I have to say I have bought some wonderful stuff from Gilt, but I have always wondered how much of a great bargain I am really getting (make that "Guilt," LOL). The thing Gilt should offer is what RueLaLa does: take returns with the stipulation that you pay the shipping if you return it for CC credit, or you don't pay return shipping if you opt for store credit. As it is store credit only and that can be a big bummer.

i do believe it is the consumer's job to be informed. you can't just believe that what a store/online retailer says they are - if so, IOffer, other fake sites (albeit illegal), would be getting much more business if people didn't do their research first.

it really is a retailer's job to make as money as they can, the consumer's job to be informed.

Gilt doesn't always have the best sales - i bought my mom a L.A.M.B. bag for $80 and my sister a L.A.M.B. cosmetic bag for $50 - a month later since they didn't sell that well they were $40 and $20, respectively. but that was MY fault for not waiting. oh well, i still like to look at their stuff, since sometimes i miss it in store

:confused1:

Gilt has extremely easy returns. I've even had them refund my Visa in lieu of store credit several times.
Really? They have a long list of items on their website that they say aren't eligible for return, refund, or exchange. And they say that footwear and apparel can be returned for store credit only.

Really? They have a long list of items on their website that they say aren't eligible for return, refund, or exchange. And they say that footwear and apparel can be returned for store credit only.

Yes, really. Nine times out of ten if you contact Gilt CS they will bend over backwards to help you. I am speaking from numerous experiences.

Yes, really. Nine times out of ten if you contact Gilt CS they will bend over backwards to help you. I am speaking from numerous experiences.

This is true. Their customer service is top notch. I've had times where items were non-returnable or store credit only that I was able to get returned on my cc. These items were misrepresented IMO though (size was off, measurements weren't listed, etc) But it's always worth a call if you ask me.

And even if you do only get store credit, it's still easy. You print out the label and send it in...pretty easy.

This is true. Their customer service is top notch. I've had times where items were non-returnable or store credit only that I was able to get returned on my cc. These items were misrepresented IMO though (size was off, measurements weren't listed, etc) But it's always worth a call if you ask me.

And even if you do only get store credit, it's still easy. You print out the label and send it in...pretty easy.

Yep. All of this is true. I've even had Gilt refund my Visa when the return was no fault of their own; I just didn't much care for the item IRL.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience OP, you can join my Gilt Ban if you want! I do agree with what some people have said though, that it is a good idea to know the general value of what they are offering for "sale" before the sales start. I typically bought items from brands that either 1. I knew the prices of what I was buying and determined them to be a "good deal" or 2. items that were not easily available to me otherwise from some newer and HTF designers, where I didn't care as much if the % of the "sale" was good or not. My problem was that I would just add so much stuff to my cart and not think about how much I was spending, so in reality it didn't matter how much of a deal I was getting because I was buying more than I would otherwise. The last time I shopped Gilt was what pushed me to BAN because I realized I was just way to caught up in the frenzy of the "exclusive sale" factor. I bought like 5 or 6 items from the recent James Perse sale without even thinking twice, but if I would have gone into Barney's Co-Op and seen the same items at the same price, I probably would have only bought one or two at the most, if at all.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experience hopefully it will help people think twice before getting caught up in the "exclusive sale" hype on this site and be more informed consumers. I generally have only good things to say about Gilt, but now that I have stopped going to that website 10 times a day I'm starting to see that it is far from perfect. Kind of like when you break up with someone and then realize a few weeks later what a jerk they were! It is definitely easy to get caught up in the fun until the CC statement comes...