Game of Thrones Prequel: House of the Dragon on HBO

I watch this show just to see what Daemon does. Matt Smith isn't handsome by traditional standards, but he's captivating. He's evil, yet my eyes can't stop looking at him. Most of the time, I don't even understand his English. But it's like everything fades away when he's in a scene.

Everything he does, he does in the most logical way, then wait a second. What? What did he just do??? :nuts: :shocked: :annoyed::confused1:
I like him better with the short hair. He is very intriguing in this and I really like his character. He has one of these faces that is ugly at times and handsome at others. I never thought him good-looking when he did Dr. Who.

The young actor playing Aemon is very similar looking to Matt Smith. Thin face and similar nose. It was good casting to show the Targaryen family resemblance. His character's personality looks to be similar as well.

Was that the prison that was on fire? Every week I cannot decide where I really stand on this show. We watch, but we aren't like "omg it's Sunday, don't bother me!" I thought for sure Eagon was going to off himself at some point with the King's knife.

I'm also now confused why the servants were locked up. Was it because they didn't want word getting out, or was it because Llarys knew Talia was a spy and assumed the rest were as well? And it was the jail that was on fire at the end, yes?

I am still in. This show isn't up to the the level of S1 of GOT. But, it is nice to be back. I wish they would turn the lights up a bit but I read that some of this was due to filming during Covid and they had to lean more into interior shooting.

I read the source book, Fire and Blood (F&B) after the show started. (I had not read any of the other GOT books.) F&B starts well before the series starts, but the HBO series jumps in at a good starting point because the conflict in it is the seed for the fall to come in the time of Baratheon/GOT.

For those who haven't read it, Fire and Blood is not like the rest, it is conceived as more of a chronicle derived from other writers and sources -- maesters, fools, letters, etc. So, unlike GOT, which I started after F&B and am now on book 3, F&B simply chronicles the centuries before Danaerys, Rhaegar and Viserys, this is much dryer material. There is no snappy dialog, only minimal character development, few vivid descriptions of landscapes; it more resembles a historical treatise in style.

So, anyway..... maybe this is why the show is lacking some of the things we loved in GOT and the vast, sweeping world created in that show. F&B is just a saga of the time between Aegon the Conquerer and Danaerys, and the whole fall of Kingdom that happened when Robert Baratheon became king after Jaime Lannister (we miss you) slew Aegon. The screenwriters had a lot of gaps to fill honestly.

Yes, friends, I kind of geeked out on this a little, mostly because I enjoy following family trees through time; I am also reading Thomas Costain's first book in the history of the the Plantagenets. Its a great escape.

After I read Fire and Blood I didn't really "get" why people found GRRM an amazing writer ... but now I see that the GOT series is completely different; many descriptive passages really stayed with me, whereas F&B was much hollower in that way. I have read better authors for sure, but I think GRRM does an amazing job of creating a solidly-constructed, believable universe chock full of interesting characters doing interesting things.

Was that the prison that was on fire? Every week I cannot decide where I really stand on this show. We watch, but we aren't like "omg it's Sunday, don't bother me!" I thought for sure Eagon was going to off himself at some point with the King's knife.

I'm also now confused why the servants were locked up. Was it because they didn't want word getting out, or was it because Llarys knew Talia was a spy and assumed the rest were as well? And it was the jail that was on fire at the end, yes?
The fire was the house of the White Worm who was Myrisaria (sp) or whatever the name is of the ex of Daemon. The one who handed Aegon over to Daemon. I had to look it up too. How were we supposed to know that?

I think they locked up the servants to control them, as you said. since there was a change of king coming and they didnt want people getting riled up until they could manage the situation.

Remember in the beginning of the episode, the servant boy went to Talya, Alicents lady-in-waiting (whom Larys later confirmed as a spy) and informed her of the King's death. Talya then told Alicent the news, which Alicent responded to her "not tell anyone". Talya soon after lighted a candelabra in a window, signaling to the head of the spy network White Worm (Mysaria) that the King has died. This is how Mysaria knew about the King's death, hid Aegon, and provided him to Otto for money and assurance the child fighting in Flea Bottom would cease when his grandson (Aegon) became King.

Larys told Alicent that Talya was a spy and Mysaria needed to be taken out. In exchange for, visuals, of her feet - Alicent had Larys burn down Mysarias' house in efforts to destroy her as the head of the massive spy network inside the Red Keep. Its unclear if Mysaria was in the house and if she is really dead. She was the former muse of Daemon after all.

Remember in the beginning of the episode, the servant boy went to Talya, Alicents lady-in-waiting (whom Larys later confirmed as a spy) and informed her of the King's death. Talya then told Alicent the news, which Alicent responded to her "not tell anyone". Talya soon after lighted a candelabra in a window, signaling to the head of the spy network White Worm (Mysaria) that the King has died. This is how Mysaria knew about the King's death, hid Aegon, and provided him to Otto for money and assurance the child fighting in Flea Bottom would cease when his grandson (Aegon) became King.

Larys told Alicent that Talya was a spy and Mysaria needed to be taken out. In exchange for, visuals, of her feet - Alicent had Larys burn down Mysarias' house in efforts to destroy her as the head of the massive spy network inside the Red Keep. Its unclear if Mysaria was in the house and if she is really dead. She was the former muse of Daemon after all.
I wondered about that candelabra in the beginning because of how they framed it. Totally didn't make the connection though when he said Talia was a spy, and by then I had completely forgot about Mysaria. It makes much more sense that it was her house. I saw bars on the windows so thought it was supposed to be the jail and they were killing Talia. I really thought Daemon was going to be the one with Aegon until she mentioned the child fights.

Not gonna lie... I've become obsessed with this couple. Never thought I'd be rooting for incest but here we are :facepalm:

I also thought Daemon's character was really questionable in the first few episodes... now he is definitely one of if not my favorite. Matt Smith is an incredible actor and plays him soooo well! He doesn't even need to say a word! Just a look, smirk, body language. It's crazy.

Still trying to figure out how I feel about adult Rhaenyra. I loved Milly as young Rhaenyra. But I understand she's changed and life is much more complicated, serious and dangerous now...