Game of Thrones Prequel: House of the Dragon on HBO

Well done! Very GOT like for the season finale.

I also like how this showed the reality of dragons. Vhagar was the world's oldest/largest dragon and whom the former Aegon rode during his conquest. Aemond merely meant to taunt Luke but was too inexperienced a rider to know Vhagar isn't a toy - he's an older experienced dragon with combat experience. Bad move. When Arrax sensed the threat and breathed the fire in response it was all over. There was no controlling Vhagar after that.

BTW - anyone amazed at how much bigger Vhagar was than Arrax? The CGI was awesome. Can't wait for Season 2.

While I did gasp at he ending, I also left feeling overall like this was just a filler episode. I wasn't left with that "Omg I cannot wait until next season!!" feeling of a season finale. Also, I am back to disliking Daemon. Like, dude, control yourself. Don't put your hands on your wife because you still have brother issues. My husband thinks all of the bastard children are going to die at some point. If that is the case, one down and two to go I guess. I too was shocked about the size difference between the dragons.

Reactions: kemilia
While I did gasp at he ending, I also left feeling overall like this was just a filler episode. I wasn't left with that "Omg I cannot wait until next season!!" feeling of a season finale. Also, I am back to disliking Daemon. Like, dude, control yourself. Don't put your hands on your wife because you still have brother issues. My husband thinks all of the bastard children are going to die at some point. If that is the case, one down and two to go I guess. I too was shocked about the size difference between the dragons.

My hubby did not like the entire season, lol. In GOT the penultimate episode (9th) is always the most drama-filled just like the red wedding and Ned Stark's beheading in GOT, so I wasn't more or less surprised by the finale.

I think the writers got the historical context right in this prequel. In GOT, during the time of Robert Baratheon's reign there were no living dragons so more direct combat was involved. In HOD all the major houses (Velaryon, Targaryen, The Greens) had dragons. Dragons, especially large ones like Vhagar and Vermithor were weapons of mass destruction much like our current nuclear stockpile. Battlefield combat wasn't common and warfare needed to be a lot more strategic as to not have a complete burning off of Westeros.

Reactions: jellyv
Well done! Very GOT like for the season finale.

I also like how this showed the reality of dragons. Vhagar was the world's oldest/largest dragon and whom the former Aegon rode during his conquest. Aemond merely meant to taunt Luke but was too inexperienced a rider to know Vhagar isn't a toy - he's an older experienced dragon with combat experience. Bad move. When Arrax sensed the threat and breathed the fire in response it was all over. There was no controlling Vhagar after that.

BTW - anyone amazed at how much bigger Vhagar was than Arrax? The CGI was awesome. Can't wait for Season 2.
Holy crap! The shadow shot of the Dragons with Vhagar above was breathtaking.

Personalities never change. Otto's always power hungry. Alicent's always manipulative. Daemon's always a little perverted and violent, and Aemond's never lets things go even if he's in the wrong. (Remember: when they were all children, Aemond was the one fighting Jacerys and and Lucerys came out defending his brother, accidentally took out Aemond's eyes).

Now we get civil war.

~~~
What are you all watching next?

Reactions: jellyv
I enjoyed the entire season and liked how it moved along.

I do have a question. When Rhaenys sees her husband upon her return, he tells her that they will not support either the King or the Queen. His wife tells him that Rhaenyra is the only one with a cool head. He then goes to Dragonstone and throws in with Rhaenrya. When did he change his mind? Initially when Rhaenys flies to Dragonstone, she does not bend the knee. No one calls her out on it either. She is staying very aloof and neutral at that point.

I do have a question. When Rhaenys sees her husband upon her return, he tells her that they will not support either the King or the Queen. His wife tells him that Rhaenys is the only one with a cool head. He then goes to Dragonstone and throws in with Rhaenrya. When did he change his mind? Initially when Rhaenys flies to Dragonstone, she does not bend the knee. No one calls her out on it either. She is staying very aloof and neutral at that point.
I'm going to take a stab at this.
Corlys went out to sea for years fighting battles after his 2 children died, leaving his miserable wife grieving and holding down the fort.

During his absence, Rhaenys observes Alicent, Aegon, and Rhaenys closely, and realizes that Rhaenyra has the most in common with her (meaning that they both desire peace and prosperity for their subjects, rather than personal power/ greed). Both the husband and wife also come to the conclusion that they will never be on the Iron Throne, so it's best to side with one who possesses kind/ just leadership. And that's Rhaenyra. So they become the bigger person, and go and pledge their allegiance to Rhaenyra.

I do have a question. When Rhaenys sees her husband upon her return, he tells her that they will not support either the King or the Queen. His wife tells him that Rhaenyra is the only one with a cool head. He then goes to Dragonstone and throws in with Rhaenrya. When did he change his mind? Initially when Rhaenys flies to Dragonstone, she does not bend the knee. No one calls her out on it either. She is staying very aloof and neutral at that point.

It's probably worth mentioning that Rhaenys (aka the "Queen who never was") has a more legitimate claim to the throne out of anyone. She was the only child of her father, Ameon, who was also the eldest child of King Jaehaerys. When Aemon died, Jaehaerys named Baelon, Aemon's brother, as his heir, bypassing Rhaenys. Then when Baelon died, Jaehaerys called a council who unfairly selected Viserys, Baelon's son and Rhaenys cousin, as King. Later, Viserys chose to marry Alicent instead of being betrothed to Laena, Rhaenys daughter, upon her request.

Rhaenys mother was a Baratheon, so she had full support from House Baratheon and Stark as allies to rebel but instead chose to put the interests of the realm above fighting for her birthright as Queen. I think this is why she didn't "Dracarys" the Greens as to not make it easy for Rhaenrya's to sit the iron throne when no one ever did that for her.