Gaffers Tape, Plasti-Dip, Sole Protectors and More: The Red Sole Project

legaldiva-I just did the ball of the shoe, I did put it on thick layers, though.

wantmore- I used the foam brush. It's so great! I also just wiped my mishaps with my nails. The plasti-dip just peels off skin ;)P. Excellent color match. I'm seriously indebted to you!!

For everyone's reference, here are a few that I've done. These have all been worn, but have taken pictures (pre-coated) of the two that are most worn. (Hadn't realized until I took a picture, but I guess I'm still working on walking properly--not pigeon toed... :\)
Had to get a little creative to make sure they're not knocked in any way while drying... :sweatdrop: Here, it is just the first two coats applied. I'll probably lay down another two tomorrow.
On another note, there is such a world of difference between protected suede and non-protected when doing this. In coating the Rolando, I was able to wipe of a little of the Plasti-Dip that touched the blue suede with no trace of a mishap. However, in coating the nutmeg suede, I also touched the suede w/ red stuff, but this time it was not as kind--see picture.

CIMG6291.jpg

CIMG6293.jpg

CIMG6295.jpg

CIMG6297.jpg

CIMG6298.jpg

CIMG6299.jpg

CIMG6300.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG6304.JPG
    CIMG6304.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 2,318
xnplo - WOW! You did 5 pairs! Good Job! Thanks for the pictures. I love how you have your shoes hanging to dry, LOL! Let us know if you end up being happy with DIY and how the shoes feel after the Plasti-Dip......

Also, thanks for warning the rest of us about the Suede, b/c I totally didn't even think about it (since I don't have Suede CL).

Where did you find the clear? Is it a different brand than Plasti-Dip?
I went to home depot and they only had the red.

I bought my clear plasti-dip from ebay, I wanted to be able to do some of my other shoes with it too, I think I'll still buy the red and try it out too as it looks like a great match :smile:

Wow....all the DIY CL projects here look great.. I've gotta try it.

But I have few quick questions.
1) Do you guys do this before new shoes are worn or after?
2) Does any1 have pix of them wearing the shoes after putting on the 'coats'. I just wonder if the paint comes off or just has minor scratches?
3) How about the sole being slippery when you walk?

TIA :smile:

1.) Mine were worn first.
2.) Not yet here.
3.) They are not slippery; the bottom is actually a little tacky. Someone mentioned they did not even feel slippery in the rain! :smile:

2) Does any1 have pix of them wearing the shoes after putting on the 'coats'. I just wonder if the paint comes off or just has minor scratches?

You're welcome ladies! If this helps with your angsts about no longer having red soles, then I'm happy I was able to help.

1) I did 2 of mine before they were worn, but I guess it works well too if the shoes have been used (as you can see from madamelizaking's and xnplo's pictures)
2) The plasti-dip is not coming off after using my Beige Simples 2x. I'm going to try to take pictures.
3) Plati-Dip is just the name and it doesn't mean it's plastic. It dries up rubber. I used my shoes in the rain and it wasn't slippery at all.