Gaffers Tape, Plasti-Dip, Sole Protectors and More: The Red Sole Project

omg ladies, you guys dont have any idea how much help u guys hv been with this plasti dip thing! i have a question though, will it be better if i use clear plasti dip on a brand new CL soles or will it be better if i use red plastidip on used soles? i mean if i use the clear ones on the brand nw, will it become smudgy or it will stay clear forever?

Sounds a good idea but I do have a few questions.

Has any one checked that the solvent used in this product is compatible with leather and will not have an adverse effect long term? Also, how would I remove it if it runs onto the shoe itself, especially suede and satin? If I wanted to have a zip sole fitted at some time later can the plasti-dip be removed?

Sorry to sound so negative but I am anxious not to spoil shoes that were quite expensive and that I adore.

^From the description of the product, you could probably just peel it away (using a razor) and start over. And hey, if it doesn't work, we still have other options.

&

Welcome dylax glad to have you on the board. Tell us about yourself and your love of CL's!

This is the best thread ever! Thanks so much ladies for sharing your CL craft projects! I'm looking forward to trying it myself and I expect that red Plasti-Dip will sell out at every hardware store.

I just about bought it yesterday but chickened out... keep updating this thread ladies... would love to see how it wears over time!

For Canadian gals, you can also buy it at Home Hardware - it was $16.99 for the paint on type if for some reason it's not at Home Depot.

Reactions: BelleZeBoob
Thank you so much for this brilliant idea! I've been afraid to buy CLs because I didn't want to lose the red. Now I can finally buy the pairs that I want w/o worrying! Thanks again!

i have a question though, will it be better if i use clear plasti dip on a brand new CL soles or will it be better if i use red plastidip on used soles? i mean if i use the clear ones on the brand nw, will it become smudgy or it will stay clear forever?

I was wondering the same thing! I ordered one container of clear, and one container of red, just in case. I have a pair that I haven't worn yet that I was thinking I could do in clear, and then the others in red.

Does anyone know if the clear stays clear over time?

omg ladies, you guys dont have any idea how much help u guys hv been with this plasti dip thing! i have a question though, will it be better if i use clear plasti dip on a brand new CL soles or will it be better if i use red plastidip on used soles? i mean if i use the clear ones on the brand nw, will it become smudgy or it will stay clear forever?
IDK since I've only used the red on my unused CL. Hopefully, someone who has used the clear can help you out.

Sounds a good idea but I do have a few questions.

Has any one checked that the solvent used in this product is compatible with leather and will not have an adverse effect long term? Also, how would I remove it if it runs onto the shoe itself, especially suede and satin? If I wanted to have a zip sole fitted at some time later can the plasti-dip be removed?

Sorry to sound so negative but I am anxious not to spoil shoes that were quite expensive and that I adore.
Do not add the solvent that it says on the can to add. Just use the Plati-Dip by itself, that is if you are willing to take a chance. Otherwise, don't do the DIY way and just get it re-soled by your cobbler. If you do the Plasti-Dip and later decide to get it removed, the cobbler can probably remove it without any problems. The cobblers grind the bottom anyway before putting the new soles. HTH.

I just noticed, why is dylax banned already after 1 post?

I've tried this. It works very well. I used the spray can but think the paint on would be better. I used blue tape to wrap around the sides of the shoe. I've worn a pair already and it is looking good. Its not slippery, quite the opposite - a bit tacky. One shoe turned out a little bubbly and when it dried I was able to peel it off with no problem. It didn't have any effect to the bottom of the shoe.

I would suggest using the red instead of clear. the clear you would have to apply to unworn shoes. I think it would stick better to a shoe that has been scratched up a bit.

If I wanted to have a zip sole fitted at some time later can the plasti-dip be removed?

One shoe turned out a little bubbly and when it dried I was able to peel it off with no problem. It didn't have any effect to the bottom of the shoe.

Guess that answers that question. Thx bagsforme! I've been meaning to go to home depot, but I've been lazy. I'd rather do this then have the shoe soled.