Friend insulted me/my bag!

You're not alone. I get comments like that all the time. It most likely stems from jealousy because if it was just a blunt remark, you wouldn't have entitled the thread "Friend insulted me/w my bag!" Obviously, you must've sensed the jealousy behind her comments and if she was your friend, she would've known how to say things to you in a way that didn't offend you. For example, she could've said, "Its a nice bag and I can see why you fell in love with it, but I really don't think it looks good on you."

The best advice I can give is to defend yourself against such comments. Sometimes when people see that you're too nice to say anything, they will step all over you and make rude comments all the time but when you stand up for yourself, they will know the boundaries. Especially if you're friends, they will be understanding if you defend yourself but if they continue to dish out negative comments or they are unsympathetic then they are not your true friends.

When a friend did that to me, I pointed it out to them that they were plain jealous. Judging by their reaction and unapologetic attitude, it was obvious to me that they really were. We didn't talk for 3 months but after that, we got over it, continued to be friends and he never said comments like that to me again so I'm glad I said something.

"Does this bag make my @$$ look big?" "No, your @$$ makes your @$$ look big."

See, now THIS is something my DH would say! And when he says it, it's funny because 1) it's TRUE, and 2) he doesn't b---s--- me. But he's also not snarky about it.

Thanks for all of your support, ladies! Looks like I will be a "broad" with a Galliera. :lol:

Some people don't think before they speak. That was crappy of her to say that, what a b----! The bag lies flat against your body-what the heck is she talking about. What brand bag did she have? Bet ya she wants your bag! Jealous!

As the others have said; pure jealousy!

I deal with some friends like that sometimes, and most times it ISNT about my designer bags. So it just goes to show you that friends can be haters for more than just bags. Jealousy is a terrible thing :sad:

Honestly, she was probably jealous. There is no reason she should ever say that to you when you're her friend. Not cool!!! Not something a friend would say. I'd tell her she hurt your feelings. If she doesn't apologize, she's not your friend! You and your bag are beyond fabulous!!! Don't forget it!

Some people feel the need to put others down to make themselves feel better. I detect insecurity. These are the types that if they were able, would probably be seen with the same bag next week!

A girlfriend of mine stopped by to show me her summer bag, and after I "oohed" and "ahhed" over her bag (which I had seen before when she first purchased it) and since my Galliera had just arrived and was sitting next to me, I showed it to her. Her initial response was "it's awfully big," so I tried it on so she could see that it doesn't look that big on. Her comment? "It broadens you." :wtf: Now, I am not a petite girl by any stretch of the imagination, but I didn't really think this was an appropriate "sharing bag excitement" response. What would you think of this if someone said it to you?

That depends on how close you are to each other. If she's a close friend of yours it might be that you should look at the bag you bought and yourself wearing it a bit more critical.
If she's not that close (which I think is more obvious - otherwise you wouldn't feel yourself insulted) - just forget about it and enjoy your new purchase:smile:

Well, maybe she meant well, it really depends. I trust my friends to tell me if something doesn't look good on me. Besides, some bags do make one appear wider. Neo Cabby did that to me.

lol - I have yet to see ANYONE not look totally fab clutching a Louis!

I am sure she was just a little green eyed - some of my friends get really upset over my bag collection and often knock them - just shrug it off and go stand in front of your mirror with your Gallaria and see how amazing you look!!