For the Love of Coach

I will say with some brands like chanel or LV and their yearly price increase their is a large market for resale. You can literally buy a bag use it ( as long as you take care of it) and in 5-10 years sell it for almost as much as you originally paid for it.

Resale can help with these extreme higher dollar items but it's tricky markets are volatile, one can only hope to recover part of their investment(if they do better, great!) but you have to be realistic that may not always happen.

Gosh. I would love it if you would post a picture of the watermelon satchel!
Here it is! There is no creed inside, just the word "Coach", so she was made when Bonnie Cashin was at Coach, probably in the early 70s, but maybe earlier. I've never seen another suede one. I think she looks pretty good for her age!

Attachments

• suede watermelon tote020.jpg
    suede watermelon tote020.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 834
They have a tendency to move on rather quickly, perhaps they feel unsure? i don't get the reasoning, you'd think by now they would know who they were lol

No, it's a strategy they implemented to get people in more frequently--they used to change the floorset every quarter? To try and mimic the spring/fall and than the pre spring and pre fall but than realized they're not at the same price point and that they're more of a "fast fashion" so they have change every month to introduce something new--

I'm not a "Coach girl" But as a lover of Dooney & Bourke can certainly relate to the comments OP. It is really laughable that people believe that if the bag retails for over a certain amount, it is automatically fashionable, higher quality, more refined, has more "fashionable customers" etc. Similar to what you said, my Dooneys meet, if not exceed very high priced bags. Outside of Dooney & Bourke, the only other brand I carry is Gucci. Now I looooooooove my Guccis, but realistically in terms of price, 1 Gucci = 8-10 Dooneys. My Guccis are all very high quality leather, thick, can hold up to whatever you put it through [theoretically, at $3k+ a pop u better believe I'm not putting them thru too much] however, so can my Dooneys. and honestly, I can't feel a difference between the Gucci's and Dooneys [especially the Alto collection] and Dooneys are certainly better than LV canvas you're going to pay thousands of dollars for [and there's nothing particularly stylish about]. What you're paying for is a name period. I just don't believe that paying 10x more for a handbag translates to 10x better quality.

and on top of that, I can name so many of those "stylish" over priced bags that are AWFUL...that I wouldn't carry if they were FREE! you are paying for a name, and "status symbol." period. So keep doing what you do with your Coaches ladies. my motto is "you can't make sense out of nonsense" so really, don't even let it get to ya!

I honestly carry my Madison Sophia in the green apple almost as much as my givenchy nightingale..actually since the nightingale is my to go bag when I travel--more than I guess

Even though the leather is pebbled and light color it has held up so well! I spill tea on it..nada..and the leather is so thick and *-*

It's worth it to me..I haven't gotten the pandora style because even though it's cute, I can't see myself dropping that much $$$, I really am a leather girl the difference between the leather for the Sophia and the leather (and size of) nightingale made the price difference acceptable (got the nightingale on sale too :smile:)

I recently dropped a bit of money for the preorder of the fendi peekaboo--coach currently has a style similar but I hate hate buying one that 'looks' like it unless it's something totally universal (totes, duffle, etc shape)--I prefer the original. Like Levi's for denim..

So I'm not sure if the quality of difference is that great between the two--probably not super to justify the price difference but, it's like if fendi came out with a bag like Sophia--I wouldn't buy it from them, i would buy it from coach--the anniversary bag like Ali probably would be a better example but hopefully that makes sense

Just like I do truly buy coach for the leather, which is why towards the end for the thicker more sturdy leather I went with the men's tote rather than the ones out of the women's line..I always wanted the duffle shape and missed out the earlier ones, the new ones leather doesn't look quite same and I'm not a fan of the carriage stamp

But that's just me

No, it's a strategy they implemented to get people in more frequently--they used to change the floorset every quarter? To try and mimic the spring/fall and than the pre spring and pre fall but than realized they're not at the same price point and that they're more of a "fast fashion" so they have change every month to introduce something new--

Interesting, i don't think that is working out to well though lol

I bought my first Coach from a close friend who was an SA about 20 years ago. She told me the leather and quality would last forever, and I thought that was a great thing. Then, I decided it wasn't such a great thing. Damn thing wouldn't wear out so I could justify getting a new bag. Had to become a collector to solve that problem. 😄

My least favorite comment on the forum is "I wouldn't pay XXX for such-and-such." We do it here, too, when we don't like a new Coach bag or when we are making fun of the premium buyers who "spend their money on overpriced logo 'it' bags," as a way to justify our opinion that Coach is "good enough." I've probably done it myself without thinking, when I'm feeling insecure or judgmental.

We have such a sisterhood here (and a brotherhood in many cases), and I know it lifts our spirits when another member compliments us on our selection or style. it would be so fantastic if we could just consistently celebrate each other's choices and bask in our collective joy about our own unique choices.

Reactions: sparkle1
i bought my first coach from a close friend who was an sa about 20 years ago. She told me the leather and quality would last forever, and i thought that was a great thing. Then, i decided it wasn't such a great thing. Damn thing wouldn't wear out so i could justify getting a new bag. Had to become a collector to solve that problem. 😄

my least favorite comment on the forum is "i wouldn't pay xxx for such-and-such." we do it here, too, when we don't like a new coach bag or when we are making fun of the premium buyers who "spend their money on overpriced logo 'it' bags," as a way to justify our opinion that coach is "good enough." i've probably done it myself without thinking, when i'm feeling insecure or judgmental.

We have such a sisterhood here (and a brotherhood in many cases), and i know it lifts our spirits when another member compliments us on our selection or style. It would be so fantastic if we could just consistently celebrate each other's choices and bask in our collective joy about our own unique choices.
+1

I bought my first Coach from a close friend who was an SA about 20 years ago. She told me the leather and quality would last forever, and I thought that was a great thing. Then, I decided it wasn't such a great thing. Damn thing wouldn't wear out so I could justify getting a new bag. Had to become a collector to solve that problem. 😄

My least favorite comment on the forum is "I wouldn't pay XXX for such-and-such." We do it here, too, when we don't like a new Coach bag or when we are making fun of the premium buyers who "spend their money on overpriced logo 'it' bags," as a way to justify our opinion that Coach is "good enough." I've probably done it myself without thinking, when I'm feeling insecure or judgmental.

We have such a sisterhood here (and a brotherhood in many cases), and I know it lifts our spirits when another member compliments us on our selection or style. it would be so fantastic if we could just consistently celebrate each other's choices and bask in our collective joy about our own unique choices.

Your comments are great and it would be nice if we could all validate each other's choices. However, since each person's reality is different it can make that difficult. Maybe you purchased a certain bag that you love and didn't have any "issues" with but someone else purchased the same bag and had nothing but problems........different batches maybe? Who knows but it is good to validate each persons choice and experience for sure. They won't be the same across the board no matter what.
If someone has purchased an item that they're thrilled with of course it's always nice to validate that choice. If I had the same item and had issues with it I wouldn't want to "rain on their parade" and let them know that it may happen to their item as well. Maybe it won't!
Being positive is a good thing, no one can dispute that. I can understand people being disenchanted with Coach's prices of late with their premiere bags but they are looking to upgrade their image and as long as the quality is there then I think they can justify their prices.......however if the quality isn't there then they'll have problems.

Enough.

I’m tired of people expressing shock and delight at the new merchandise that Coach is putting out now. And I’m both amused and amazed at THEIR surprise when die-hard Coach fanatics like myself express disgust at their condescending viewpoints. Coming to a forum and essentially writing, “Wow! I can’t believe that I now love what used to be such CRAP” is not exactly a compliment. Do I even have to spell that one out? I guess I do.

I love and admire all bags – lots of them – bags from independent mom-and-pop stores up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire to “premiere” designers like Dior. But I’m a Coach girl at heart. My mom introduced me to the company at an early age, as many of our mothers have, and I have a sentimental attachment to the brand. I’ll always carry Coach. Their quality, styles, and colors are fantastic. Their prices, while climbing, are still relatively reasonable, considering what else is out there. I have fun, fantastic relationships with all of my SAs and I’ve been lucky enough to have great customer service whenever there’s been a problem with quality (which is NOT often).

The signature (“siggy”) look is still popular for many of us, but considered out of date for other Coach lovers. That’s up to each woman to decide for herself. Premiere designers, too, by the way, are highly sought after for their blatant use of logos. And p.s., premiere designers are also starting to make bags in China, too. I’m not justifying the horrifyingly minimal pay that these employees receive for their work by any means – I’m just pointing out a sad fact that is not exclusive to Coach. It’s something that needs to be addressed by every designer, and soon.

Calling this company “a starter brand” for those “hopeful fashionistas” wishing to carry something elegant and of good craftsmanship is insulting. Saying that you’re amazed to be toting around a product that costs underneath a certain overinflated price is offensive and pretentious. There are many women who come to this forum dreaming of owning a Coach bag from a boutique one day. The lack of awareness for those less economically fortunate than yourself is simultaneously elitist and – frankly - *****y. The incredulity expressed at such modern Coach styles is laughable. I mean, we Yanks and yokels sure do appreciate your citified sense of fashion and style, but we’ve been getting along just fine these past several years, thanks.

Coach has been around since 1941. Since that year, thousands of women around the world have been carrying Coach bags for a reason. If you’re just joining us and expressing astonishment, I’d like to ask: where have YOU been?

Reviving this blog with a link below. (Topic comes up later in the interview) Retail analyst talks about Coach having one of the 3 "hot bags" in 2016. No..not a starter brand. Now (and once again) a coveted brand one year later.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000579510 http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000579510

I hadn't paid much attention to the "starter" label on it. I don't mind being a "starter" designer bag collector, but the reality is that most people in the world can't afford "even Coach." Coach IS a luxury brand, albeit "more affordable" than Berkin, it's still costs more than billions (yes, billions) make in a month. Or year. Doctors in Ghana make $8 (currency equivalent) a MONTH. Billions in the world could never begin to afford Coach or other "starter" pricey bags. Billions couldn't afford a $10 Target bag either. ALL the designer brands on this site are luxury pricey brands, some more pricey than others, but all PRICEY for a bag.