For all of you who bought Peytons at the outlet...

My reads F0869-13051

Hang tag is "Bleeker Street"

No dust bag

Bag/pockets were stuffed and undisturbed

Tag has MFSRP $898.00...then markdown in red 829.99

What does all this mean?? I am sooo confused!:shrugs:

Not to complicate maters, but I purchased my black one on 11/20/08 from the boutique and it said "Coach Archive Limited Edition". I had to order it, the store didn't carry it of course. At first the manager doubted she could even order it for me, but then she looked up the style number and saw that she could.

What I did think was odd that my store that doesn't normally carry items like that (limited editions/exotics, etc) was then carrying them in stock and displayed a month later.

Yes, this has complicated matters. You ordered from the boutique! Obviously you either paid FP or used a PCE. No matter, you still paid top dollar and it doesn't say Bleecker St either. Have you thought about calling or visiting your boutique and asking them why your bag (priced the same as Bleecker St.) didn't say Bleecker St. on the hangtag? I was at my boutique on a Thursday, the black and red were displayed on one of the round middle tables. New floor set was the next day, Friday (which was 2 weeks ago?), and I got a call the following Monday from outlet that they were holding the black and red for me. They only got 2 red and 2 black. I assume they came straight from the boutique. Since you bought yours from FP, and had to order it, I have to feel all our bags are fine. This changes everything. Now it sounds like Coach made some for FP and changed the hangtags. I still want to know if baglady39 or someone else can compare the Bleecker St and our Coach Archive bags to see if the leather, etc. is the same.

Peyton was not made for factory, IMO they probably changes tags once they headed to outlets to "archived" maybe they ran out of the blecker tags.

If you look at a post several up from selketkrb, she ordered a black patent Peyton from FP boutique on 11/20/08. Hers says COACH ARCHIVE LIMITED EDITION also. Sounds like they either made a new hangtag for the boutiques or had to make more for the boutiques and changed the hangtag. Doesn't sound like something that was done for the outlets.

Very interesting.

If in fact they did re-release Peyton for the outlet and then make it look like a boutique transfer bag to outlet, I'm done buying Coach.

I don't own any Peyton, but if this is what they did, I have no respect for the corp and I can't stomach supporting them (even though I do like a lot of their product).

My guess is the bag was made as a Bleecker St limited edition, and sold out fast enough/showed enough demand that it was re-released as a FP "archive" run. The patents were not part of the first run of colors if I recall correctly, which could explain the archive tags as opposed to the Bleecker St tags. Given the state of the economy I am not surprised that a ton of these $900 satchel went to the outlets. I am sure Coach is not "pulling something" as far as trying to make an outlet-made release look like a boutique transfer. I think they probably produced a second run of Peytons and overshot since people have not been spending that kind of $$$$ overall.

Seems like the thing that was "pulled" was that a limited edition bag was produced in larger quantities than originally planned, but Coach has done that before so I am not really surprised. I don't think there was an outlet hoax type situation, though.

Just my $.02. :yes:

Not to complicate maters, but I purchased my black one on 11/20/08 from the boutique and it said "Coach Archive Limited Edition". I had to order it, the store didn't carry it of course. At first the manager doubted she could even order it for me, but then she looked up the style number and saw that she could.

What I did think was odd that my store that doesn't normally carry items like that (limited editions/exotics, etc) was then carrying them in stock and displayed a month later.

Actually, Selketkrb, you didn't complicate matters, but this actually clears it up!! :yahoo: As I said before, while people were ticked off about the Ellies, their trick for add'l production lots was to change the numbering. This is how they got around the "limited number" problem. One of my SAs said people really complained about the new numbering scheme for that, which was basically just a number for the new set. I should post pics of two of my Ellies which show this differentiation.

As for this Peyton, I do not think they just ran out of the hangtags and decided to suddenly produce "Coach Archive" tags, but I think it was done on purpose to differentiate the runs in the same manner as their other LE items that are restocked (in addition to the factory production date on the creed). A trick yes, but still a boutique production! Of course we already knew the outlet bags were NOT outlet rereleases when we looked at the creed and style number info.

I could have believed any scenario with Coach, though, so I'm glad we hammered this out. :P

One reason I was curious initially about a possible outlet run is because those of you who are older members probably remember me posting a thread asking about any cracking around the topstitching of some/all of the front pocket areas. Mine had a little light cracking on a couple of pockets, and so I tried to exchange my patent but could not find a consistent enough bag (texture-wise) to do it, and at that time I remember them telling me the bags were down to only 100 in quantity and they would not be restocking! That was WEEKS ago!!

So yes, hence my surprise they have showed up in mass at the outlet, and at outlets that are not supposed to get Bleecker St items. I know this because that's what I was told at my outlet, but yet they continue to get some of these items and have been for a few months now.

So, I knew as Selketkrb stated that the count on the patent bags was really low way back then. That now makes sense that what they did is restock more to try to fit the demand. But like with other bags, they didn't sell them (especially at $900), so they were sent to the outlets. It will be interesting to see if the leather restocks share this same new identity with the tag. I am positive they have restocked colors like the fuchsia at least a couple of times. I'm also certain this was done prior to the major economic crisis, or before they put a halt on some of the production...so they probably have more than they would have now for new bags coming out.

Sorry for not digging my bag out last night, but I just checked, and my creed reads F0869-10351. Tag is Bleecker St. I purchased my patent one during PCE with the first run of the leather Peytons that I did a PCE price adjustment on. I think that was at the Aug. PCE, and I had had the leather Peytons for a few weeks since I purchased one at the gallery store and the other one I ordered from JAX since they told me they were only producing 50 in the atlantic. HA! :rolleyes:

Also, for what it's worth, a Bleecker St. store (meaning the NYC one and the gallery stores) WILL carry both Archive Edition bags as well as Bleecker St. bags. There's really a mix of various LE items if you randomly pick up items up at these stores. Possibly some of these are restocked items, but I also believe this is what they call some of their original LE items as well. In this case, it's just their trick to differentiate between the lots...in other words a way to get around the fact that the initial run was SUPPOSED TO BE more limited...kwim?? :rolleyes: Now I have 6 Peytons total, and all of mine (3 that originally came from the outlet), except for one I have not yet received from a charge send, all show the "Bleecker St." tag. I'll see what my other one says once it arrives.

This is something that has bothered with me Coach for a while now because I'm a quasi-collector. I've even complained formally about how they do this, and the fact that the consumer is never given any production info or history for the item. I was told they "agree with me", but that's the way Coach does it. :rolleyes:

However, the fact remains is that you either buy the bag because you like it...or you don't, simple as that! The point is that buying a LE bag from Coach is usually not the same as another brand because they take these shortcuts, and we all know that nothing "limited" is sacred...if they want to make more, they will! So I just buy what I like, laugh about it since I can't do anything, and move on. If I cared enough I would not be buying Coach LE items! So... given the tag issue, I would actually take the Coach Archive bag in a heartbeat since it's way cheaper than what I paid for mine even on PCE! It's just not that big of a deal to me, but I'm sure glad this mystery is solved. I probably would not have liked it had they taken the original bags and done an outlet rerelease (especially for a Bleecker St. item). Thanks SO much everyone, for your help!! :yes: Little mysteries like this bug me till they're solved! :P

Last edited:
The thing that bothers me is that I actually ordered mine when it was still on the website and listed as a Bleeker Street Limited Edition. So if at some point they exceeded the original lot produced of bleeker bags and needed to make more quanity, then website should have been changed and the bag not made to be a "special" order Bleeker item.

baglady39, now we know why they ended up sending and displaying the black and red patents at the FP stores. That became part of this mystery too. They must have sold so well that they made more, (changed the hangtags at that time) the economic situation started, and sales must have halted. So they decided to get them out in the stores to see if that would help sell more. My store doesn't carry Bleecker St. items and that surprised me. Please still let us know if your white bag has a Bleecker St hangtag.

The thing that bothers me is that I actually ordered mine when it was still on the website and listed as a Bleeker Street Limited Edition. So if at some point they exceeded the original lot produced of bleeker bags and needed to make more quanity, then website should have been changed and the bag not made to be a "special" order Bleeker item.

I agree with you! They should have accounted for every change. It's not that I would not purchase either lot, but just that I feel they should disclose the history and info of their LE items. In a way, it is kind of false advertising, but also I think this kind of thing doesn't really matter to anyone other than a collector. As for collections, Coach is a bad investment anyway (at full price).

I have to admit a lot of this has turned me off a bit, partly because I am interested in LE items, so I've been looking at moving on to other brands. I'm also always torn by the outlet thing...while I love a good deal and that's what I live for, it really does tarnish the image of all the retail bags, and especially the LE ones IMHO. At least these bags did hang on for a bit longer before they were shipped to the outlets, unlike the resort totes!

I always seem to be emotionally caught between a collector's mentality and someone who just loves and buys a lot of bags. As DH said, though, if I were really a collector, I would not use any of my bags that I purchase for my "collection"...and my policy is I will NOT buy any bag that I do not use at least at some point (I rotate almost daily). There's just no motivation for me to buy something and keep it in a dust bag in the closet forever...and I don't want to display them because I like to keep the items out of light and dust free. So this is why at the end of the day, I just deal and move on...as annoying as it is! :Push:

I can definitely understand the arguments for other brands like LV, though.

baglady39, now we know why they ended up sending and displaying the black and red patents at the FP stores. That became part of this mystery too. They must have sold so well that they made more, (changed the hangtags at that time) the economic situation started, and sales must have halted. So they decided to get them out in the stores to see if that would help sell more. My store doesn't carry Bleecker St. items and that surprised me. Please still let us know if your white bag has a Bleecker St hangtag.

I will check that as soon as it arrives, and I have a feeling I will be looking at every Peyton tag I come across. I'll be the weirdo that scopes out everyone's Peyton hangtag on the sly! :P