Following dstar's lead: I'm self-RESTORING my 05 BG Day

^^ wowza, this is all so exciting, i can't stand it!!!...and like so many other gals have said, it makes me wish i had a fixer-upper at home!!!...rere & cleo, how do you get the dye off the HW afterwards (?) :shrugs:

Hi bama! Actually, the dye comes off of the HW very easily. You just scratch it off and it peels right off. The dye however, sticks like a dream. :jammin:

As for wishing for a fixer-upper - I know the feeling! It makes me think of all those old nasty beat-up bags on ebay selling for pennies. About how I could have saved one back then.

WOWZERS!! Oh my God, RERE! You've been so informative with the step by step and it looks awesome! You may very well have inspired me too (along with dstar) that maybe the only way I'll find a Grey Work is to dye my own Grey Work! :nuts:

It's lovely!!!

Thanks amie! I will post pics soon of the third coat. Still need to find a way to fix the pink zipper lining.:confused1:

vida! You know.. I haven't quite figured out what to do with the zipper lining as of yet. I don't really like the pink showing thru since the bag is now Ivory, and bleach sounds like a good idea.

I was hoping to stop by a fabric store just to buy some off-white dye or something. What do you think?

Any suggestions for me?

As great as the bag looks so far, the pink zipper is driving me insane.

For the Zipper parts on mine I used the same dye. Instead of rubbing it on like I did on the leather, I kind of blotted/dabbed the dye into the fabric with the little sponge that came with the kit. It worked great!:tup:

Cant wait to see your final product!!!!

RERE....did you wait for the preparer (conditioner) to dry before dyeing? Mine is still damp...and I was wondering if I can go ahead and dye it, lol....my impatience!

RERE....did you wait for the preparer (conditioner) to dry before dyeing? Mine is still damp...and I was wondering if I can go ahead and dye it, lol....my impatience!

cola...I think you should wait for it to dry. LOL.

Patience, woman! I let mine dry. Put it by a window or something. =P

Edit - wait! Be sure to document the procedure! I'm gonna be dying my 07 Black, Black next week. I want it blacker than night. [ ;

^^ ACK< RERE, photos please!!! :woohoo:

I knoooooow bama!!! But see, truth be told, I think it looks quite gross with the zipper lining still pink! And I don't have the time to do some research to see what I can do to make it more ivory/beige. There have been other PFer suggestions, but I have had ZERO time to sit down and figure out what options I have and how to implement them.

I'm kind of embrassed of posted the "finished" product of the dye job, without having the zipper lining fixed too. :shame:

Boo!!!!

At least on the next dye job (my 07 Black First), I will be able to post the finished product right away since the zipper is already black. :rolleyes:

Thanks, RERE. I was also wondering how long did you wait between coats.

I waited at least a few hours. You can "feel" how dry the coats get as the process ensues.

Make sure the first coat is dry all around before putting another one on, or it seems to just smear/smudge.

Boy, you really are impatient. :P

How's it lookin so far?

^It's looking great! I colored the zipper with the sponge (using the dye) and it looks great. Since my bag used to be white, now it looks like a plomb color. I think after the next coat, it will look truly black.

rere, i have an 05 BG day i want to dye black, do you think the black dye will take on the zips? thanks

Yes I think so. As long as the dye is DARKER than the zipper lining, it should be okay. But in my case, the dye is somewhat lighter, so it doesn't look good at all. I tried it and failed miserably. Now it just looks like a murky-pink. Back to the drawing board for my project.

But! I think Black over the zipper lining should be fine.

Go for it dirtyvegas!!!