Flag this message Unauthorized access to my PayPal account-help!

alison_k88

Apr 11, 2009
so.. i recently received this email from paypal
***********000000]Dear PayPal member,

We recently noticed more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.

If you accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you.

However, if you are the rightful holder of the account, please visit PayPal as soon as possible to verify your identity:
so.. when i click to verify, it takes me to a page that wants me to enter my cc info again. i'm not sure i want to do this if someone is accessing my account!
anyone been in this situation before?
HELP!

[/COLOR]

Feb 20, 2008
I think it sounds like a scam. Did you go to PayPal from a link in the email message? Instead log in directly to paypal.com and see if there a message there. Also, you can forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and they can let you know if it is legit.

unluckystars

Dec 11, 2008
philly
its probably not from paypal. DO NOT LOG IN FROM THE LINK IN THE EMAIL! call them to verify the email or log in by typing the address in yourself.

alison_k88

Apr 11, 2009
OW CRAP! i looged in from the link, but i didn't put in my cc information
it leads me directly to the paypal page though

Ellie Mae

Peace B with U
May 24, 2008
Alison.. you need to CALL PP IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT click any of the links in the email. And change your password NOW.

Melissa71

O.G.
Jan 19, 2006
Illinois
Go directly to the paypal site and change your password, first. Then email or talk to live help.

Last edited:

Melissa71

O.G.
Jan 19, 2006
Illinois
The email is a "phishing" email. They send them out, pretending to be Paypal, and their sites look almost identical. They try to hijack your paypal account and banking information by getting your password and other information. Hopefully you can change your password before any real damage is done. Just make sure to keep a close eye on it, and get ahold of a paypal rep asap.

That might not be a bad idea, until your sure you're "safe"

unluckystars

Dec 11, 2008
philly
i don't think you'll need to remove it, since youve changed your password they shouldnt be able to use it. just make sure nothing was donew before you changed it

Ellie Mae

Peace B with U
May 24, 2008
And I cannot get to the PP AU website from US, Alison, sorry. Forward the emails to spoof@paypal.com ASAP and wait for a reply. In the meantime, click the CONTACT US on PP and keep calling whatever phone #'s they provide.
Don't panic, as changing the password usually is sufficient.... as long as you did NOT provide any info when you clicked the email link. But, do keep trying to call.

alison_k88

Apr 11, 2009
ok. i just called paypal. and hopefully i managed to change the password before any real damage was done. you guys have been so helpful! thanks a million. fingers crossed nothing bad happens