First Rehab Ever- Vintage Coach Station Bag

This thread absolutely blew my mind! I have two vintage Coaches I never wear because they're so dirty and dull. Does anyone know anything about rehabbing Marc Jacobs? My kiddo spilled milk in mine and it soaked through the cloth lining into the leather. I've written it off as a totally loss, but is there any hope for it? It (was) a beautiful camel color.

Thanks!

This thread absolutely blew my mind! I have two vintage Coaches I never wear because they're so dirty and dull. Does anyone know anything about rehabbing Marc Jacobs? My kiddo spilled milk in mine and it soaked through the cloth lining into the leather. I've written it off as a totally loss, but is there any hope for it? It (was) a beautiful camel color.

Thanks!

without pictures it's hard to tell,, but my philosophy is, if it's too far gone to ever wear again, you have nothing to lose in trying to save a bag!! Depending on leather type, etc, some bags can be fixed.

Reactions: LaPaloma55
Well good job on the coach and a nice bonus for you about your :graucho:husbands talents, yippee! LOL
Lmao! Sorry.. The more rubbing made me laugh with my dirty mind!
But YES! Literally more rubbing. He told me that it could get shiner and that I would not believe him and he could prove it. So of course I said sure go ahead show me!

We sat for an hour watching a show and polished and polished and at the end of the hour lO and behold it was shiner.

When he was younger he was in ROTC and they had a lot of brass to polish. Things had to shine literally. So I learned something new. Lol

You can't give a bath to every leather bag, I recently picked up a natural leather Kooba hobo at the thrift store as a rehab project, but I can't get it wet because that will ruin the leather. So do some research before you dunk your bag.

But many of the the vintage, unlined, glove-tanned Coach bags just come back to life with a bath and a little TLC. Check out some of the posts at the link below:
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club-624452.html

Warning! Rehabbing is a lot of fun but it's addictive!

Can you tell me what you did to recondition your kooba since you couldn't dunk the lamb skin? Thanks

In the above photos you can see the brass has turned green and inside of the leather too where the brass touched.

There was some residue inside the bag. Not a ton but enough that I decided to give her a bath.

So a tub with warm to slightly hot water with 2-3 pumps of dish soap.

I let it soak for an hour.

And hour later and with a scrubbing brush look what happened!!!

Whoa!!! Talk about a much needed scrubbing behind the ears!!! And if you look into the water you will see all the Nasty McNastiness green goo floating about homeless...

So.. I emptied out all the soapy water and she is doing a soak rinse!!

More to come!!

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Does the scrubbing scratch the leather? What kind of scrub brush did you use?

Does the scrubbing scratch the leather? What kind of scrub brush did you use?
We have a rehab thread with lots on information here: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/
The post you quoted is from 5 years ago so the original poster may not still be around. However, I can answer from my experience. You don't want to scrub too hard or use something with sharp bristles because it can scratch the leather. You can be rougher on the suede side.

Reactions: kysayshi and katev