First Decade of BALENCIAGA Motorcycle Bag History

RealDealCollection

Luxury Consignment
O.G.
Apr 19, 2006
Check out my new Bag History page on my website: http://www.realdealcollection.com/history_of_bal_moto_bag.html

Here's the 1st page of Real Deal Collection's Balenciaga Bag History:

Are you ready for a trip down memory lane? It's the early 2000's when Nicolas Ghesquière was creative director of Balenciaga and designed the now-classic motorcycle bag. This lightweight handbag combined soft and slouchy leather with studs and zippers pulled by long lariat tassels. It became an "It Bag" after editor's and model's admiration and publicity.

For me it was love at first sight when I spotted Kate Moss holding this beautiful black Le Dix Balenciaga bag inside the pages of Harper's Bazaar magazine. My quest began to acquire one, and after many phone calls I got lucky at Barney's New York, which was the exclusive USA retailer before Balenciaga opened their NYC boutique in 2003. This was my first designer purse and the start of my handbag obsession.
2001_fbf_editors_bag.jpg

A Close Call for BALENCIAGA's Motorcycle Bag

On August 15, 2011 WWD Accessory magazine featured an interview with Nicolas Ghesquiere talking about the 2001 Balenciaga runway show and how the Le Dix Motorcycle Lariat bag was close to never being made.

N.G.: And we did this prototype and nobody cared; we had a couple of prototypes for a year. Every girl who was walking [the show], including Kate [Moss] came in and was like, 'What is that? Is it vintage? Is it something that you found at the flea market?' I was like 'No, it's a handbag that we prototyped but just didn't produce.' We didn't produce it because I think when I showed the prototype to the people who asked me to do it, they weren't happy with it.

WWD: Too fashiony?
N.G.: Accessories [at the time] were rigid. Luxury leather, especially, was about rigidity. So they were not really happy, and they decided not to produce it. Then when it was in the studio and the models noticed it, I said, 'I think we should just do 25. Let me just give them to the girls because at least some people will be happy.' And that product started from a very, very fashion point of view [and extended] to a very, very large, global audience.

WWD: Why do you think it resonated so dramatically?
N.G.: No logo. Very light. Very effective. There is something familiar with the vintage side. Women and girls thought it was something they'd always have. It was a new fresh thing, but it looked like an old, good, friendly thing. And I think the brand also was becoming desirable. People had desire for my goods and [the bag] was the most accessible piece. You could be a Balenciaga girl with that bag.

The Balenciaga factor [WWD Accessory]

More information will be posted about Balenciaga motorcycle bags, so check out RealDealCollection.com & this thread often!

Nicolas_Ghesquiere.jpg

OMG this is like the first page of a Bal textbook!

While I don't like First as much as City I am still hoping to add a Le Dix to my collection!

Corey....this is great. I will go to your site and check out the rest.
My fantasy is that you will start a thread here and go through the years individually. All the stuff you knew/ did in 03 and how you describe that leather , then go to 04 and on through the decade ending with 09.
I have opinions and theories for 03-05 leather....like 07 leather was a throwback to 03 in that it is thicker, puffy and distressed.....that 03 olive brown is the precursor for 07 vert fonce and 03 red is the model for 05 rogue theater and that 04 is the softest of those years, and 05 the silkiest.
What do you think?

Corey....this is great. I will go to your site and check out the rest.
My fantasy is that you will start a thread here and go through the years individually. All the stuff you knew/ did in 03 and how you describe that leather , then go to 04 and on through the decade ending with 09.
I have opinions and theories for 03-05 leather....like 07 leather was a throwback to 03 in that it is thicker, puffy and distressed.....that 03 olive brown is the precursor for 07 vert fonce and 03 red is the model for 05 rogue theater and that 04 is the softest of those years, and 05 the silkiest.
What do you think?

*Maxxout* - GMTA!!

I've been working on this type of article (I've been toying with setting up a blog), but my knowledge of the oldies (while not bad), is not as great as you and Corey! My knowledge of the '04 through current is much better, since other than my original Le Dix Gold Label bags, I was overseas and therefore .. a bit out of the loop for much of the '02 and '03 years.

Something we should all consider; I still to this day miss the AtelierNaff site!! She had a wealth of information on her site and I was able to copy some of it, but when they replaced my work computer, all of it went bye-bye (still crying over that!).

Like you, I often reference previous Year/Season colors when looking at the current bags, but given the chance between current (e.g., Lagon versus '05 Turquoise), YOU KNOW which one I'm going to go for! I just recently replaced 2 newer bags for oldies:

> '12 Lagon --> for '05 Turquoise (very close in color)
> '12 Dark Violet --> for '07 Violet ('07 has just a tad more red undertones)

*Maxxout* - GMTA!!

I've been working on this type of article (I've been toying with setting up a blog), but my knowledge of the oldies (while not bad), is not as great as you and Corey! My knowledge of the '04 through current is much better, since other than my original Le Dix Gold Label bags, I was overseas and therefore .. a bit out of the loop for much of the '02 and '03 years.

Something we should all consider; I still to this day miss the AtelierNaff site!! She had a wealth of information on her site and I was able to copy some of it, but when they replaced my work computer, all of it went bye-bye (still crying over that!).

Like you, I often reference previous Year/Season colors when looking at the current bags, but given the chance between current (e.g., Lagon versus '05 Turquoise), YOU KNOW which one I'm going to go for! I just recently replaced 2 newer bags for oldies:

I never knew about the AtelierNaff site. Yes, you could definitely do a blog and also we could start a thread here and maybe they would turn it into a stickie.....something like " Balenciaga History". But I haven't visited Corey's real deal collections site recently and maybe this is already a blog there?

*Maxxout* - GMTA!!

Another Bal oldie here! Hi everyone! :wave:

Corey/RDC, CeeJay and Maxxout, I love your extensive knowledge of the old Bals! CeeJay, I also loved LP's blog. And like you, I think I copied alot of it to save as future reference. I'll have to check my old netbook to see if I still have it.

I loved the 02-05s and some of the 06s. Bal turned me off once they changed their leather and pricing. :tdown:

Keep the fun information coming!

Hello! It's nice to see you all here. :flowers:

The link is not posted on my site yet, I'm giving you all a sneak peek ;o) There is so much historical Balenciaga information that I want to share with the world before I forget any of it.

My plan is to document the history of the motorcycle bag from 2001 to 2010 and of course it will have some inspiration from AtelierNaff as that was a wonderful resource in addition to this forum.

I am already working on more prototype & 2001 handbag photos and information with weekly (at least) updates. Thank you for the feedback, I am happy to help and look forward to building this with assistance whenever I miss something, etc.