Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged college cheating scam

On the news they showed Lori Loughlins (sp) daughter doing a video for you tube or something , she sounded like an air head and actually tells her audience she does not care about school at all.I take it this video was made before this scandal came to light, LOL!

Yup... here is the people article. She is some social media star

What would be interesting is whether the children of those indicted have their applications re-evaluated and get kicked out based on fraud/lack of merit. Especially if they were participants as in they posed for pictures as if they did crew when they did not as the loughlin girls are accused of having done.

https://people.com/tv/lori-loughlin-daughter-olivia-jade-apologized-school/

Yup... here is the people article. She is some social media star

What would be interesting is whether the children of those indicted have their applications re-evaluated and get kicked out based on fraud/lack of merit. Especially if they were participants as in they posed for pictures as if they did crew when they did not as the loughlin girls are accused of having done.

https://people.com/tv/lori-loughlin-daughter-olivia-jade-apologized-school/

I feel two ways about the kids.....I think if the kids posed for photos trying to allege they were great at sports....then they were in on the scam. The parents should be prosecuted fully, The kids......I feel they should get booted out, and have to reapply the right and honest way - then if they were accepted on their true academic merits, then t hey should gain entrance. But then I also feel since they were in on the scam, they should get kicked out and prosecuted if what they did was a crime and the school should shun them.

I just watched the apology video for the Loughlin kid, and she could have sounded less sincere if she tried. It's a big mea culpa - but I'm not falling for it.

But how many MORE rings are out there like this? I thought I.D.s were required when taking these exams, but dummy me, a fake ID is easy to get. So there should be biometric proof from now on..

When you sign up to take the SAT, the student uploads a photo of himself/herself which is printed on the admission ticket. You then have to bring an official photo ID (like a drivers license or passport) with your admission ticket. The two documents are examined before being allowed entrance to the exam. So, yeah, it would be possible to falsify these but difficult and take some serious time and effort. I think this generally provides good exam security. I mean, it would be tough to have a 30 year old man show up to take the exam for Felicity Huffmann's 18 year old daughter lol.

They say some kids got a note from the therapist saying they have to take as long as they want and/or take the exam alone only with the administrator and the admin either took the test or changed answers. A fake ID is not necessary under these circumstances.

/

I think all the students involved (whether they knew what was going on or not) are going to have their admission acceptances withdrawn or, if they are current students, be told to leave and/or expelled. They were accepted under false pretences due to bribes, false SAT or ACT scores, and made up athletic records. I'm sure the universities have a protocol for situations involving phony resumes and applications. But, still, all the names of the parents have been published so the kids have been outed. Staying on campus after this would be pretty tough.

They say some kids got a note from the therapist saying they have to take as long as they want and/or take the exam alone only with the administrator and the admin either took the test or changed answers. A fake ID is not necessary under these circumstances.

These are called testing accommodations. Kids can apply for accomodations even in middle or high school (and maybe even elementary school now) for extra time to take tests due to physical or learning disabilities or English being a second language.

For the SAT or ACT, there is a protocol involved and a specific request has to be submitted with pretty extensive documentation. I know a little bit about this as a friend of one of my kids qualified for accommodations and would usually be in a separate room with extra time when taking tests.
ETA: And getting testing accommodations for the SAT or ACT is a pretty long process, can take weeks.

Last edited:
When you sign up to take the SAT, the student uploads a photo of himself/herself which is printed on the admission ticket. You then have to bring an official photo ID (like a drivers license or passport) with your admission ticket. The two documents are examined before being allowed entrance to the exam. So, yeah, it would be possible to falsify these but difficult and take some serious time and effort. I think this generally provides good exam security. I mean, it would be tough to have a 30 year old man show up to take the exam for Felicity Huffmann's 18 year old daughter lol.
The ringleader (Singer) employed other tactics for SAT testing. From https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2019/03/lori-loughlin-felicity-huffman-college-cheating-scandal

"Prosecutors say it was a boutique-scam operation. Singer had a multi-pronged approach catered to the child’s needs and/or the parent’s wants. Sometimes, he allegedly paid off standardized-testing officials to doctor test scores after the student had taken the SATs or ACTs; other times, he provided paying families with answers ahead of time, or sent a smarter student to take the test instead; still, other times, his test proctors on the inside would allow for extra time. (Whichever route depended, in part, on whether the parents wanted their child to know what was going on, according to Lelling.) Scores were “calibrated” to what the kid was capable of, so as not to send up any red flags, per Lelling."

(Lelling is the US Attorney in Boston on the case.)

These are called testing accommodations. Kids can apply for accomodations even in middle or high school (and maybe even elementary school now) for extra time to take tests due to physical or learning disabilities or English being a second language.

For the SAT or ACT, there is a protocol involved and a specific request has to be submitted with pretty extensive documentation. I know a little bit about this as a friend of one of my kids qualified for accommodations and would usually be in a separate room with extra time when taking tests.
ETA: And getting testing accommodations for the SAT or ACT is a pretty long process, can take weeks.
Yeah I figured there was a set process but wasn't aware of what it entailed. I was commenting that it was not an ID issue.
Very interesting all the things they went through just to get these kids into school. No guarantees how long they would last in a school they couldn't get into in the first place.

I'm sure if the parents were forking out the likes of 500K for fake scores and pics they would be more than happy to pay off any doctors and therapists for some learning disability notes. There are likely many more people involved than those listed, and way more than 50, lol. These are not even the really elite schools, there is likely a lot of this going on all over.

Very interesting all the things they went through just to get these kids into school. No guarantees how long they would last in a school they couldn't get into in the first place.

Exactly. Maybe you get the kid in, but no guarantee that he or she could handle the work load so maybe it ends up all being for nothing and they leave after a year or even less.

This country has so many schools and opportunities at every level that if you choose to work hard, you can be successful no matter where you start or where you graduate. To break the law and risk so much just to get them in with no guarantee that they can actually make it through, is mind-boggling.

We at tpf at least have the sense to spend that money on bags!