Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged college cheating scam

Here's a list of SF Bay Area based people involved in the scheme, including the Stanford University sailing coach: https://sfist.com/2019/03/12/stanfo...Mt9u-7IvPY9ullACO4tDhRkLY6Ie6mJVruyOooUx4InyA and c/p below:

Bay Area Rich People, Stanford Sailing Coach, Multiple Hollywood Actresses Indicted In College Admissions Scandal
In what's being called the biggest case of college admissions fraud ever, 50 individuals in six states have been indicted, including 14 people in the Bay Area, and actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Laughlin.

The U.S. Justice Department revealed details of the case Tuesday, in connection with a California-based college admissions consulting service called The Edge College & Career Network, a.k.a. The Key. As the Sacramento Bee reports, founder Rick Singer, who's now at the center of this scandal, hails from Sactown. Singer stands accused of arranging various methods of fraudulently getting the children of wealthy parents into schools they might not otherwise get accepted by, including deepfaked photos to make them look like athletes, and bribing coaches at elite schools to recruit them.

But as US Attorney Andrew E. Lelling tells the New York Times, "The parents are the prime movers of this fraud," and the wealthy and well known among them "will not be [prosecuted by] a separate criminal justice system." Of those indicted, 33 of the 50 are parents.

Deadspin explains that, according to the indictments, parents' payments to The Key were classified as tax write-offs in some cases, which Singer laundered through a charity he ran. Those involved are accused of participating in a range of fraudulent acts including fabricating fake student-athlete profiles for kids, bribing coaches with recruiting powers for prospective students, and bribing SAT proctors and test administrators.

Among the people indicted in the case are 14 people from the Bay Area, including Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, who's worked at the university for 11 years. As NBC Bay Area reports via his indictment, Singer allegedly arranged $770,000 in "donations" to Vandemoer's sailing program in exchange for recruiting student clients of his. Vandemoer is expected to plead guilty.

The list of other Bay Area residents indicted, according to NBC, is as follows:

∙ Diane Blake, 55, of San Francisco, an executive at a retail firm∙
- Todd Blake, 53, of San Francisco, an entrepreneur and investor
∙ Amy Colburn, 59, of Palo Alto∙
- Gremory Colburn, 61, of Palo Alto∙
- Elizabeth Henriquez, 56, of Atherton∙
- Manuel Henriquez, 55, of Atherton, chairman and CEO at Hercules Capital∙
- Agustin Huneeus Jr., 53, of San Francisco, owner of wine vineyards∙
- Bruce Isackson, 61, of Hillsborough, president of a real estate firm∙
- Davina Isackson, 55, of Hillsborough∙
- Marjorie Klapper, 50, of Menlo Park, co-owner of jewelry business∙
- William McGlashan Jr., 55, of Mill Valley, senior executive at a global equity firm∙
- Parci Palatella, 63, of Healdsburg, CEO of a liquor distribution company∙
- Peter Jan Sartorio, 53, of Menlo Park, packaged food entrepreneur

TMZ reports that actress Felicity Huffman was arrested Tuesday in Los Angeles, as was Full House star Lori Loughlin, who's married to fashion mogul Mossimo Giannulli.

The Times notes that the scam was geared toward wealthy parents who were not wealthy enough to secure admission to an elite university by purchasing a building or a new wing, etc.

Says Chris Hunt, of the legit consulting service College Essay Mentor, to the Times, "This is an extreme, unsubtle and illegal example of the increasingly common practice of using money to get an edge in the race for a place in an elite university."

In the case of Felicity Huffman's daughter, I can't imagine that she didn't know:
The indictment says the daughter was given twice the amount of time to take the SAT as other students and the paid proctor agreed to secretly correct her answers afterwards.

The indictment says the girl received a score of 1420 on her SAT ... an improvement of approximately 400 points over her PSAT.
I agree, its total bs that the kids didn't know. Of course they're going to say that.

I like the part about these parents were rich but not rich enough to secure admission through paying for a building. Oh snap!

And I find that part ironic because donations (even if not a building) do at least increase a student's chance of getting admitted, as do legacy connections. At least at a lot of schools, even if they only 'wink wink' admit it. So, I mean, even without a building, many schools are watching such things in those years leading up to application.
I guess what I'm saying, is that what this really is, when you get down to it, is what's called dream hoarding -- just put on steroids and moved into the realm of illegal.

(Not that I'm downplaying the illegal part. I mean, illegal is obviously *illegal*.)

I wonder if the parents knew that other parents were involved, or if the parents doing this were under the impression they were the only ones?? Like did Huffman know Loughlin was in this, too, or were they all ignorant of one another??

Reactions: limom
This has been going on forever. I’m surprised this is news. Cheating on the SAT bribing to get into schools , even private high schools fudge applications for their students. Wonder why they are targeting the California schools?

This has been going on forever. I’m surprised this is news. Cheating on the SAT bribing to get into schools , even private high schools fudge applications for their students. Wonder why they are targeting the California schools?
4 of the 8 schools implicated are in California, so not really targeting them. The main ringleader was based in California and a large number of the clients/parents live there, so one could assume there was disproportionate interest in California schools.

Implicated schools so far, as of today's press. Could be more coming??
Yale, Stanford, U.C.L.A., Georgetown, the University of San Diego, Wake Forest, the University of Texas, and the University of Southern California.

Last edited:
Reactions: AManIntoFashion
The parents could have just spent the money on tutors for their kids to score well on the SATs etc. But nooooooo...being OK with paying somebody to take the test FOR them? Somebody here mentioned there are 50 kids in this scam out of 1.5 million who take the exam. In this case, there IS. But how many MORE rings are out there like this? I thought I.D.s were required when taking these exams, but dummy me, a fake ID is easy to get. So there should be biometric proof from now on.

I'm sure the parents/university personnel who cheated/bribed are the same types who are the first to criticize others and cry "equality for all" or "foul play" for whatever. How many deserving students were prevented from being admitted to the same schools as a result of this scam? The schools that cheated should have their federal funding spigot turned off. I don't care how loud the bastards scream. Admittance isn't based on solely one person's assessment. There must be a pool of decision makers and somebody's thumb has got to be on the scale at some point making sure the application progresses to the final yea or nay. I can see donors canceling their checks after realizing that all they REALLY to do was bribe the money whores at the schools to admit Little Susie.