Tech Everything iPhone! Post your questions here!

ahpeste said:
Hi! Got a question. Im currently using an iphone4 and my contract is about to end. Can I have hubby use my phone without having to get a data plan? Btw, we have at&t network if that matters.

Yes.you will just need to transfer his number if he has a cell to a micro sim card.
Put it in the phone and there you go.

I don't know - I think AT&T makes you have a data plan when you are using an iPhone, unless they've changed that rule.

how do do they know ?

I own the phone now outright, when i get a new contact with a new phone they arent going to ask for the phone back.
You just put an active micro sim card in the phone and all you get is wifi and calling features,( or whatever you have on that active number)

how does any phone company know what phone I put my sim card into ?

how do do they know ?

I own the phone now outright, when i get a new contact with a new phone they arent going to ask for the phone back.
You just put an active micro sim card in the phone and all you get is wifi and calling features,( or whatever you have on that active number)

how does any phone company know what phone I put my sim card into ?

They can tell what phone your SIM is in - on AT&T, for example, if you change the SIM to another phone, it will show on your account on the web site. They show a picture of whatever phone you are currently using, and it changes almost as soon as you change the SIM. (Technically, how that works, I'm not sure).

I don't think the problem for ahpeste is changing the SIM, though. They don't have a problem with moving SIMs around. It's that they make you have a data plan if you have an iPhone or other smartphone. According to this link from CNET, they will start charging you whether you like it or not, which is consistent with what I've heard other places.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57348893-266/can-i-use-a-hand-me-down-iphone-without-a-data-plan/

I can see them making you "if" you are on a contact to get an iphone /smart phone. but once the phone is done with contact you have no obligation to them. Even the other sim account. its only under obligation to "that contact"
me I would get that number changed to a micro sim, and put it in the phone. If they say you need a data plan i'd be saying great hand over a new iphone/smart phone.

They cant make you get a data plan for any phone that isnt under contact with a smart phone.

They can tell what phone your SIM is in - on AT&T, for example, if you change the SIM to another phone, it will show on your account on the web site. They show a picture of whatever phone you are currently using, and it changes almost as soon as you change the SIM. (Technically, how that works, I'm not sure).

I don't think the problem for ahpeste is changing the SIM, though. They don't have a problem with moving SIMs around. It's that they make you have a data plan if you have an iPhone or other smartphone. According to this link from CNET, they will start charging you whether you like it or not, which is consistent with what I've heard other places.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57348893-266/can-i-use-a-hand-me-down-iphone-without-a-data-plan/

I can see them making you "if" you are on a contact to get an iphone /smart phone. but once the phone is done with contact you have no obligation to them. Even the other sim account. its only under obligation to "that contact"
me I would get that number changed to a micro sim, and put it in the phone. If they say you need a data plan i'd be saying great hand over a new iphone/smart phone.

They cant make you get a data plan for any phone that isnt under contact with a smart phone.

I agree it's a ridiculous policy, and I've never tested it myself. But my understanding is that it is something that happens automatically when you put the SIM in, and doesn't have anything to do with whether you are still under contract or not. Actually, I don't think the contract itself says anything about data plans one way or the other. You're on a Canadian carrier, aren't you? It has always struck me that your carriers there are much more sane in their plans and policies than AT&T, especially when it comes to things like unlocked phones and data plans.

My advice to the original poster would be to call and ask if she doesn't want to get stuck with unexpected charges.

Yes i'm in canada, and I have used whatever phone. I bought an old iphone 1 (on at &T) and unlocked it and my son used it on a pay as you go plan.
I have since upgraded and put him on a family plan with the rest of us and my sister in law is now using the phone on another provider no data plan.

When I upgrade my phone I pass my old phones down to the kids and just put their sim in the new phone.. never an issue.

I guess if you can see your plan online i'd try it and if it scams you into data take the card out and go back to the phone you had. I thought I heard soemthing about you being about to use an iphone on pay as you go there... so that would mean no data??

is it just at&t that does that or do other phone companies work like at&T??

I agree it's a ridiculous policy, and I've never tested it myself. But my understanding is that it is something that happens automatically when you put the SIM in, and doesn't have anything to do with whether you are still under contract or not. Actually, I don't think the contract itself says anything about data plans one way or the other. You're on a Canadian carrier, aren't you? It has always struck me that your carriers there are much more sane in their plans and policies than AT&T, especially when it comes to things like unlocked phones and data plans.

My advice to the original poster would be to call and ask if she doesn't want to get stuck with unexpected charges.

Yes i'm in canada, and I have used whatever phone. I bought an old iphone 1 (on at &T) and unlocked it and my son used it on a pay as you go plan.
I have since upgraded and put him on a family plan with the rest of us and my sister in law is now using the phone on another provider no data plan.

When I upgrade my phone I pass my old phones down to the kids and just put their sim in the new phone.. never an issue.

I guess if you can see your plan online i'd try it and if it scams you into data take the card out and go back to the phone you had. I thought I heard soemthing about you being about to use an iphone on pay as you go there... so that would mean no data??

is it just at&t that does that or do other phone companies work like at&T??

In the pre-iPhone days, I was able to do what you describe, with switching SIMs around easily. Now you still can switch SIMs, but the data thing becomes the sticking point.

AT&T is the only company I have any personal experience with in the iPhone era, though for most of that kind of thing, AT&T and Verizon tend to have similar policies.

They add a data plan. My son did not have one and I gave him my old iPhone. He Received a text message that his phone needed a plan, for me to call and arrange it. They had all the phone information without me even giving it to
Them!

Which is crap! Because if I go to apple and buy a phone outright I shouldn't have to have a data plan.. It's my phone to do as I wish.
Maybe I just want the luxury of having my phone (call and text plan) and my iPod in one..

There has to be some why around it.. If not I would be switching companies.. But that's me. I'm not goin to be told which phone I can use when I own the phone outright.

Bag Fetish said:
Which is crap! Because if I go to apple and buy a phone outright I shouldn't have to have a data plan.. It's my phone to do as I wish.
Maybe I just want the luxury of having my phone (call and text plan) and my iPod in one..

There has to be some why around it.. If not I would be switching companies.. But that's me. I'm not goin to be told which phone I can use when I own the phone outright.

U are right!

I'm just purchased an iPhone4s a little over a month ago. I was able to receive work attachments fine up until a few weeks ago via my gmail account. However, recently, my gmail work address has been receiving winmail.dat attachments instead of jpegs, excel docs, etc. Has anyone else had this issue with their iphone or ipad. It is so annoying and I can't figure out how to fix it. Again, when I first got the phone and ipad I was able to receive attachments fine up until a few weeks ago. So weird! Please Help!