Ever been bag shamed?

The people I work with have no idea of the cost of a handbag, so they never ask. They might say something like "Oh, that's nice" but that's about it. I figure their ignorance is my bliss. And I feel superior (BAD ME, BAD!!! FOR SHAME!) because I know what I'm carrying... and they don't. If anybody does know, they KNOW how much it cost ...:graucho: The only time i have bag shame is from myself - 'cause I know I should have spent the money on something else... :Push:

Yes Ive had this too, and the shocked, disapproving looks that go with it - I then usually proceed to justify why I have such an 'expensive' handbag. I know I shouldnt have to do this but I do because its like other peoples' shock makes me feel that I should feel guilty, if you know what I mean?

The way I see it people have different priorities about what they spend their disposible income on; some of my friends spend loads on going out drinking or going on lots of holidays, my bf spends loads on his favourite sport. Im not in debt from buying handbags, so I dont see whose business it is what I spend my money on, but people can be so rude asking the exact price of a bag - why do they need to know this anyway?:confused1:

I never feel ashamed, but I lie about how much I've paid. As far as other people are concerned, I'm the biggest bargain hunter in the world. If someone asks the price of something, I'll always say something like oh they retail for $x (real amount), but I got a great deal. And if they still want to know how much I paid, amazingly it's always around $300. :smile: A number that most people don't think is excessive even if they won't pay that much themselves.

I was on a visit with my team leader and someone pointed to my Roxanne and asked "Oh my God is that a Mulberry?" She explained that she loved the, but could never afford one.

On the way back to the office my team leader asked exactly how much it cost, I ws quite embarresed as she went up the £100s.:sad:

I finally lied at £500 (it was actually 600) She laughed and said she couldn't understand how I could spend that much on a bag. I was so embarresed, especailly when she told another woman in the office the next day. It was all very good humoured but still very embarresing :blink:

Took my Chloe Paddy :heart:in this week and have tried not to draw attention to it for fear of more price questions.

Anyone else ever feel embarresed when they say how much bags cost??

I've had this all my life, so I'm getting used to it, now! :biggrin:

Even as a child I'd invariably choose clothes and accessories over toys, so my friends were always jealous, because they didn't realise that I had chosen to miss out on other things, instead.

I bet this woman has her vices - they probably just aren't as noticeable, as she doesn't carry her expensive holidays/vacations (or whatever else) around with her. :smile:

At the end of the day, if you are both on similar salaries (or she is earning more than you), your team leader could probably afford to buy the odd designer bag if she wanted, but chooses not to.

Therefore, IMO, it is extremely rude of her to ridicule you over what you choose to spend YOUR money on. :tdown:

Yeah I thought it was quite rude too. When I asked her what she spent money on she said she had a couple of canoes, one of which cost her over £400, and I use my bags more often then she does her canoes!!!

Quite.....and yet people would never think to get into a huddle and laugh about the £400 canoe she hardly ever uses, would they? :rolleyes:

yep i agree. My hubby and his friends will drop X amount of money on surfboards, wetsuits, etc and only end up going once a year!

Yes and what about exercise equipment and gym membership people buy (out of guilt!) and then hardly ever (if ever!) use?

Designer bags are too expensive for what they are (especially lately) it's true and I really think there should be some quite major 'price adjustments', but on a cost per use basis, they probably aren't as bad as a lot of items that, ostensibly, seem better value.

Where are people's manners? It is RUDE to ask price regarding almost anything! Politics, religion and MONEY are off-limits in polite conversation. I wouldn't have acknowledged or entertained any question about price. "Enough" is always the proper answer when someone is rude enough to ask cost.

Yes! That's what I was always taught! :lol:

Yeah I thought it was quite rude too. When I asked her what she spent money on she said she had a couple of canoes, one of which cost her over £400, and I use my bags more often then she does her canoes!!!

I totally agree - everybody is fanatical about something whether it is Cars, Holidays, Shoes, Watches or something not so heathly like smoking, drugs or drink.

Just because we choose to spend our money on handbags does not make us mad (much to the suprise of our other halves!).

My friend spends a fortune on clothes and shoes and is constantly on holiday yet she laughs at me when I spend a fortune on a handbag, also because I have about 30. "You can only use one at a time" she says - well, she only has 2 feet so can only wear one pair of shoes at a time but does that stop her from buying them - NO.

- sorry rant over now! -:rant:

I was also raised that it's impolite to ask the cost of something (unless you're buying it of course!) or to ask how much someone makes. I get very uncomfortable when someone asks me either of these, and end up stammering something vague.

My male co-worker asked me how much my LV bag cost. I made a vague answer that LV starts at about $600 and he rolled his eyes in shock. This from a guy who just spent $40K on an 8-year old Porsche! I got another interrogation when I brought a Chanel in, but at least this time he didn't have the nerve to ask the price. I think this is just nosy!!

I haven't exactly been bag shamed, but I do get really frustrated :cursing: with feeling I have to justify owning my high-end bags to people (it's not even like I have that many! :shrugs:) and I tried to post about this earlier this week but I don't think I explained myself very well (this is bad, I am a journalist!! :shame:smile: cos people have replied as if I'm going around picking fights about why my bags are better than other people's!!

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/debating-with-the-uninitiated-sigh-135072.html

I don't initiate these d******, they come about as a result of people questioning my spending!! Which is really my prerogative. I work hard for my money, I don't earn a lot and I do freelance work in my spare time so that occasionally I can buy nice things. Then people challenge me about it and refuse to accept my reasoning!! :crybaby: I don't ask why someone would want to have a sports car when a regular car is cheaper :confused1:, or why some people think it necessary to spend a small fortune on ready meals and takeaways :Push: when they could just cook for themselves at a fraction of the price! Why are our bags such easy targets??

Yup I was today actually. I was showing my sister my Dior bag and her bf asked "how of curiousity how much was that bag?". Before I could say anything, my stupid sis said "1580". His reply was "wtf!! you have got to be the epitomy of a consumer driven person"

People are so rude. Most folks who have disposable income like to spend it on SOMETHING. For some people it's cars or electronics. For us, it's handbags. To shame someone for spending XX amount on a bag is really just rudeness. It's nobody's business! I have a girlfriend who'll drop $2,000 on a road bike but wouldn't spend more than $50 on a purse. It's really just about what you like.

I totally agree... My DH spends his extra cash on sports memorabilia or tickets to playoff games and my friends boyfriends spends it on custom made shirts...to me, I would never spend alot of money on an event or a shirt but that's just me.. I just like handbags.... Believe it or not my mom tells me my first word was "Pocketbook".. LOL