Ethiopian Man on Trial in Georgia for Circumcising Daughter

I've researched female circumcision before.. this is actually really, scratching the surface of the worse of them. I'm quite interested in how the trial turns out, since calls into question the relevance of culture and how that ought to be dealt with criminally (e.g. liability).

Caitlin ~ Thank You For Answering.

They were against circumcision because there were no health benefits, it doesn't prove how "Jewish" a man is, and he's not more sensitive 'down there' if he's circumcised. They were just trying to point out that the procedure isn't as necessary as people make it out to be.

I Am Not Sure What Religion You Are (It Doesn't Matter ~ Maybe You Don't Believe In Anything...)

I Am Jewish & I Do Believe In Male Circumcision.

We All Have Our Own Ideas & Beliefs (That's What Makes Us Individuals).

I Have Been Trying & Trying To Figure Out How To Respond For Over A Half Hour. I'm Sorry. I Don't Want To Cause Any Problems....I Think I Need Leave Here For A While...

Caitlin ~ Thank You For Answering.

I Am Not Sure What Religion You Are (It Doesn't Matter ~ Maybe You Don't Believe In Anything...)

I Am Jewish & I Do Believe In Male Circumcision.

We All Have Our Own Ideas & Beliefs (That's What Makes Us Individuals).

I Have Been Trying & Trying To Figure Out How To Respond For Over A Half Hour. I'm Sorry. I Don't Want To Cause Any Problems....I Think I Need Leave Here For A While...

I should have my post differently. What I meant to say was, Penn and Teller went to Jewish scholars and asked if it really mattered if male babies were circumcized.

The last thing I wanted to do was offend anybody.

(And just so everyone knows, I'm a nonpracticing Catholic.)

I had not heard about flattening women's breasts...that's disgusting as well. It just hurts me to think about it.
Jeez...sorry for the rant. LOL :nuts:

Castro, they had a special on this practice on NPR. It is on the rise in central Africa. Basically, they put some sort of cloth over the breasts and use a hot coal iron to try to flatten them. The reporter was reporting from the country, I can't remember which on. It brought tears to my eyes because these young girls described how painful it was and they constantly feel pain. Its so sad. So so sad.:crybaby:

This is all such a horrible tragedy, female circumcision, flattening of the breast, it's hard to wrap your mind around how horrible it really is for a lot of girls and woman in the world. In so many parts of the world today women are second class citizens that endure so much pain, it makes my heart break. With regard to this man and trial, who knows, it sounds a little strange with the wife, divorce, etc. I feel so sorry for that little girl though.

I remember reading an article about the model Waris Dirie, and the horrible things she went through being circumcised. That any person could do such a horrible thing to a child is sickening!

Castro, they had a special on this practice on NPR. It is on the rise in central Africa. Basically, they put some sort of cloth over the breasts and use a hot coal iron to try to flatten them. The reporter was reporting from the country, I can't remember which on. It brought tears to my eyes because these young girls described how painful it was and they constantly feel pain. Its so sad. So so sad.:crybaby:
Okay, you flatten clothes with hot irons . . . . not breasts. Those poor women must be scarred for life.

As was mentioned before, in many countries, men treat women like second class citizens or their property. Those horrible things have got to turn them off of sex forever. And what absolutely annoys me is that, on top of all that, those poor women are still expected to perform their 'wifely duties' to their husbands, otherwise there's something wrong with them.