Ethiopian Man on Trial in Georgia for Circumcising Daughter

That is awful, but I have to wonder as well...why would the mother not find out about it until a year later? Would you not see that during a diaper change or bath??? There would be blood (dried at the very least) in her diaper...I have a 2 year old daughter, and I would definitely notice something like that!

To add: He could also be charged with child abuse!

That poor little girl! She's going to need therapy, she's going to need counselling, she might even need a plastic surgeon (to fix it).

If she doesn't get the right help, she's going to have some screwed up ideas about sex.

Female genital mutilation is such an atocious thing, and all of the health problems that it can and will cause as well as psychological problems... While it is sadly still common practice, like they said, in some rural areas in Africa, if he did do it, it is indeed against the law here. Not only that, but it is usually a woman who does the procedure. (Not that that makes it any better) and with scissors no less!!
*Ugh! it's all grotesque and I feel horrible for the women that go through it. I've read way too much on the subject fiction and non because of my love for Alice Walker. I'm surprised that this is the first case they've found here.

I was happy when I left Sa. Leone when I did (almost 15) and came back to the U.S. because I didn't want that to happen to me. Its not taboo over there. It is supposed to suppress promiscuity in women. That's ********! A lot of my cousins have had it done to them.

In someb parts of Africa, they are also pressing young girls breasts with a hot iron to keep their chest flat. They believe that the girls will receive less attraction from boys if they don't have breasts. There are so many medical complications associated with that practice. Its really sad.

Its all about education. The people truly believe that what they are doing is for the benefit of the girls. Very sad.

Ummm removing a female clitoris would be more like completely removing the males penis. In a male circumcision only the foreskin is removed and if he simply removed the hood of the girl's clitoris then it would be more like a male circumcision. He has ruined her. It so two Completely different procedures. She can no longer have a clitoral orgasim.

My spelling is was off here! LOL

I am not condoning male circumcision, but it is, in no way, comparable to female circumcision.

The male equivalent of female circumcision would be to cut off the entire penis - not just the foreskin.

If he (or anyone else) is guilty, he is guilty of the worst kind of child abuse and he should never be released from prison, IMO. :cursing:

Sorry, but this makes me really angry. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ummm removing a female clitoris would be more like completely removing the males penis. In a male circumcision only the foreskin is removed and if he simply removed the hood of the girl's clitoris then it would be more like a male circumcision. He has ruined her. It so two Completely different procedures. She can no longer have a clitoral orgasim.

My spelling is was off here! LOL

I see you got there before me.

I really must read entire threads before commenting! :yes:

Also, sex will always be extemely painful for her, as she will be completely frigid. :sad:

Caitlin ~ May I Ask? Why Don't You Agree With Male Circumcision?

I saw an episode of Penn & Teller's ********! (it's a show where Penn and Teller debunk commonly held beliefs).

I've seen the procedure done and I can't believe parents could bear to hear their babies cry like that! The baby was strapped to a table and a tool that looked like a little baby penis guillotine was used on them!

Yes, it's very quick and the baby doesn't remember it when he grows up. But why put your baby through that torture at all?

They were against circumcision because there were no health benefits, it doesn't prove how "Jewish" a man is, and he's not more sensitive 'down there' if he's circumcised. They were just trying to point out that the procedure isn't as necessary as people make it out to be.

They ended the show by pointing out that part of a doctor's oath was to "Do no harm" and yet they're still performing circumcisions.

My dad and brother weren't circumcised and they seemed to get through their lives all right. (We actually had a discussion about this during a long car trip once.)

something a/b this story doesn't add up. I don't think a child can remember things at the age of 2...

I can remember things from a very early age (from when I was far younger than 2), not everything, of course, but seminal moments.

But then, I had quite a traumatic early childhood, as my Dad died when I was 8 months old.

I remember lying in my pram, looking at the tinsel on the shelves in Boots (the chemist), before what would be my first Christmas. I must have been less than 10 months old, as I was born in late February and by the next Christmas, I was sitting up in a pushchair (not lying down in a pram). :yes:

I'd have thought that having your clitoris cut off, with scissors and without anesthetic, would be pretty memorable. :sad:

Of course, it is also possible that she has been coached...

Wow...my coworkers and I were discussing this today. I find it horrifying.

One coworker posed the question - why people get so much more upset over female vs. male and I just couldn't come up with a better answer than it's just different.

To me, the male procedure is no different than ear piercing - if it truly isn't a health issue than at the very least it's cosmetic but not harmful to a person for life. Whereas the female procedure can be life threatening (resulting in death) and psychologically damaging. I cannot even imagine growing up in such an environment.

I remember watching Oprah (who I really don't respect as much as I used to) several years ago and she had a whole show on this topic. I had my mouth hanging open the whole time, just horrified that this happened. It's more than just a little snip...and it's not done for any other reason than to suppress women.

I had not heard about flattening women's breasts...that's disgusting as well. It just hurts me to think about it.

I am not a feminist...but this kind of thing just makes me rage like one! In ancient China they used to bind women's feet so that they were as small as possible - the smaller the better (some as small as 3-4 inches!!!). My mother has some antique 'shoes' ... it was done only to keep the women suppressed and to "pleasure" the man (just think about a small curled foot).

This circumcision is nothing more than suppression of women. Because you know it's all the woman's fault for being too alluring and seductive...you know, like a piece of meat left out (sorry, I'm still pissed about the idiot imam in Australia).

I don't honestly know if I'd have my male son circumsized...I will probably leave that to my husband.

But there is no way in hell that any female in the United States should have to endure such a disgusting, barbaric procedure (not that it should occur anywhere else either). I don't care if it's this guy's "culture" he should be punished if he did it.

Jeez...sorry for the rant. LOL :nuts: