ebay's higher FVF/Lower insertion fees...discuss

I want to say thank you to empress for presenting a balanced, rational and correct assessment of the situation. I am also impressed that you have kept your cool with some of the posters.
I am unhappy with the fee increase (modest though it may be) because the little guy or gal( me) who only sells my personal stuff is shouldering most of the burden of the increase.
Sellers need to show their displeasure by not listing any of their items. If we pull all our listings indefinetely, in large enough numbers, we can make a difference. Same goes for not buying anything from ebay. No sellers and no buyers= ebay reduces prices to attract us back.

I want to say thank you to empress for presenting a balanced, rational and correct assessment of the situation. I am also impressed that you have kept your cool with some of the posters.
I am unhappy with the fee increase (modest though it may be) because the little guy or gal( me) who only sells my personal stuff is shouldering most of the burden of the increase.
Sellers need to show their displeasure by not listing any of their items. If we pull all our listings indefinetely, in large enough numbers, we can make a difference. Same goes for not buying anything from ebay. No sellers and no buyers= ebay reduces prices to attract us back.

:tup: Sad....but very very true....:crybaby:

My 2cents on the ebay fees increase is that it is just another way for them to profit; for their CEOs and "big wigs" to put more money in their pockets while using the sellers to do so! How sad...as a SAHM who uses ebay to earn a little shopping money, this really worries me:s! If I had another outlet to sell from, I would...too bad that - at least at this point in my research - there is no other place with the worldwide reach as ebay...BUMMER!!

Any buyer can now threaten to give bad feedback and 1's and the powerseller (who needs to keep high 5-star ratings to receive the discounts) will comply. Ebay will be filled with scamming buyers things.

I am sickened & disgusted by the new ebay policies. Just one more nail in the coffin for ebay sellers particularly UK ones!
Last year they stopped UK sellers sales showing up worldwide which effectively cut out 90% of my business! Now they do this with fees & leave us open to lunatic buyers of which I have experienced a few who will buy an item & not pay just to leave bad feedback (There was a thread here about a buyer who did this to a group of TPF members last year including myself) now we cannot even retaliate with a neg!
Now they increase the FVF of what little we do sell under the guise of reducing listing fees! UGH!!!!!
I so wish there was an alternative site!

This is so dumb...I've only been selling for a couple of years, nothing big, just so I can fund a few other purchases. Now I'll definitely be done selling pretty much everything. I'm also going to put up what I have left and hope it sells before these new policies take effect, then not use ebay for awhile for buying OR selling. It used to be more fun, now there are too many restrictions, most protecting the fraudulent buyers/sellers.

I feel like I've been tricked - like I've gotten punished being a seller. I cannot imagine why a seller would not be able to leave negative feedback for a buyer! So when the buyer doesn't pay, you can't leave feedback anymore saying that they flaked out? Then how are sellers supposed to know who they're dealing with?

the part that REALLY gets me is the bit about paypal holding funds for 21 days or until buyer leaves positive feedback -- sure, they point out that it's only in high risk categories. but you know what one of them is? designer handbags!!! so if i sell a birkin for $7000, they're going to get free use of MY money for THREE WEEKS!!!!! that's going to pad their profit margin nicely, since these high-risk categories are also high-ticket items.

bloody F%^&#$ing ebay.

the part that REALLY gets me is the bit about paypal holding funds for 21 days or until buyer leaves positive feedback -- sure, they point out that it's only in high risk categories. but you know what one of them is? designer handbags!!! so if i sell a birkin for $7000, they're going to get free use of MY money for THREE WEEKS!!!!! that's going to pad their profit margin nicely, since these high-risk categories are also high-ticket items.

bloody F%^&#$ing ebay.

I missed that, I haven't read it all though. If you haven't already done so, you should sign up for their money money market account so you can collect interest while they are holding it.:shrugs:

As far as the rest of the fees it doesn't bother me. The way I am looking at it is, if my listing doesn't sell, I get free gallery and lower listing fees. If my item does sell, I have to pay those fees, plus a little raise in the fvf, wich they would have raised anyway.

I haven't read the whole thing though, it doesn't really matter. I am a powerseller, I sell on ebay to make a profit and as long as I am doing so I am happy.

bloody F%^&#$ing ebay.

WAIT, WHAT??????? Oh my God! It just keeps getting worse! Is there a list of what they consider "high risk"? Oh my gosh - I keep hearing bad news over and over and over again....just when I don't think it can get any stupider.....:sad:

I missed that, I haven't read it all though. If you haven't already done so, you should sign up for their money money market account so you can collect interest while they are holding it.:shrugs:

As far as the rest of the fees it doesn't bother me. The way I am looking at it is, if my listing doesn't sell, I get free gallery and lower listing fees. If my item does sell, I have to pay those fees, plus a little raise in the fvf, wich they would have raised anyway.

I haven't read the whole thing though, it doesn't really matter. I am a powerseller, I sell on ebay to make a profit and as long as I am doing so I am happy.

When its on hold, its not in your account to get interest is it????
Please say it it!!!????
Your outlook was interesting.....my positive on the change is I am happy with the 15% discount with good seller ratings.
but...
My concern is for the small seller, who was once me......when I started it was to sell a few things in my house for money, that will be alot harder when this starts!
Its kind of important to have some encouragement..waiting on money for 21 days, having a credit card merchant account for the small seller??? and when you are a starting out, buyers REALLY, really mess with you. My heart goes out to them, which is where we ALL were at one time.