eBay Safety Tips for Buying & Selling

Anyone knows the ebay seller-icyunvangela? She is selling brand new LVs, I don't know why a person will buy brand new purses and put on ebay to sell for less, she has listed
two brand new artsy bags and stating she can buy LV bags without tax for you to help you save money. I just feel it is too good to be true. :thinking:

Hello,

I'm buying from seller who has one feedback. It's risky but do you guys think it will be ok with buyer protection? Worst case scenarios, should the seller be a scammer (knock on woods), send me a empty box or something, paying with PayPal should be the safest way right?

Thank you,
I think you can buy it if you really love the product. But if other sellers with high reputation has this product, you should choose others first. Paypal is a fast and safer way, be remember that you only can make a dispute if the buy is a scammer in 45 days. So if you receive an empty box or the goods not good as describe, or you hadn't receive your order over one month days, you can make a dispute and hold you benefits .

Hi there! Not sure where I should post it, but I can't start my own thread yet. Several months ago I returned a package to the seller, he refunded me, which I learned from automatic email, but I didn't receive money on my card. As I had experience with refunds before (that was just small partial refunds for the difference in shipping cost though), I didn't care much about it - I knew it can take some time for my bank to process the payment, up to a month sometimes. I was away on a long vacation when I received this email from PayPal: "Dear K,On Jun 28, 2012, seller X sent you a payment for $$$$ USD.The money has been returned to seller X's account.This payment was returned because:You didn't sign up for a PayPal account or didn't complete the registration process.Contact seller X([email protected]) to agree on an alternate payment method.For more information, log in to PayPal account, look for this transaction, and click Canceled to see details. Sincerely,PayPal". I felt so frustrated. Still pretty new to ebay, so I didn't know I had to confirm the payment, thought I will receive it without any problems... SO stupid of me!!! Politely explaned it to the seller - once, twice etc. Wrote him like 5 emailes both through eBay and usual mail - no response, nothing. I's been more than a month now. Seems like I can forget about receiving my money, right? The worst part about it is that I can neither leave him a neg nor report to eBay since it's been too long and seller has deleted that listing. I know it was my fault, but does it mean that I deserve to be scammed?
I don't know what the rules are in Russia, but in the US you have 45 days to file with PayPal, and often credit card companies allow even longer for you to file with them. Try to contact PayPal's customer service as soon as you can.

I don't know what the rules are in Russia, but in the US you have 45 days to file with PayPal, and often credit card companies allow even longer for you to file with them. Try to contact PayPal's customer service as soon as you can.
I agree. Call PayPal. They may be able to help. Sometimes they'll issue a courtesy refund.

Hello all
I'm new to the forum and buying bags on eBay, so I seek your expert advise in my issue...

I recently moved from Singapore to Sweden, hence I have 2 PayPal accounts, with respective debit cards registered from each country.

I have now made 2 bids which will end tomorrow, and in case I win, I need advise on the following:

1. Is it only safe when one pays using credit card? What about debit cards?

2. I would like to pay using my Singapore PayPal account which links to Singapore debit card, but I'd like to have it delivered to me in Sweden. Is this possible?

3. If I paid using a debit card, and the bag I received turns out to be a fake, what's the possibility of getting a refund claim from PayPal?

Thank you :smile:

Hello all
I'm new to the forum and buying bags on eBay, so I seek your expert advise in my issue...

I recently moved from Singapore to Sweden, hence I have 2 PayPal accounts, with respective debit cards registered from each country.

I have now made 2 bids which will end tomorrow, and in case I win, I need advise on the following:

2. I would like to pay using my Singapore PayPal account which links to Singapore debit card, but I'd like to have it delivered to me in Sweden. Is this possible?

3. If I paid using a debit card, and the bag I received turns out to be a fake, what's the possibility of getting a refund claim from PayPal?

Hi
Please note that I am in the US, so I will just tell you what is true here; it may not be true in Sweden.

1. Credit card would be better- more protection (Bank and CC company protection vs. just Bank)

2. It's possible- but NOT a good idea. Many scammers use this technique to claim INR. Therefore, it is possible that your sellers will refuse to ship and/or cancel the transactions.

3. If you pay via a PayPal account that's linked to a debit card, then you can do a PayPal claim. If payment is made directly from the card, you would need to make an E-bay claim.

Anyone who has more experience please correct me if this info is wrong/incomplete.

Hi
Please note that I am in the US, so I will just tell you what is true here; it may not be true in Sweden.

1. Credit card would be better- more protection (Bank and CC company protection vs. just Bank)

2. It's possible- but NOT a good idea. Many scammers use this technique to claim INR. Therefore, it is possible that your sellers will refuse to ship and/or cancel the transactions.

3. If you pay via a PayPal account that's linked to a debit card, then you can do a PayPal claim. If payment is made directly from the card, you would need to make an E-bay claim.

Anyone who has more experience please correct me if this info is wrong/incomplete.

Thank you so much for your insights! I guess I will just pay with my swedish paypal account. another question - since my paypal account is newly registered and i just had it verified last week, i highly doubt if i'd receive the code within the next few days, and the bid is ending in 1 day! Is there an alternative method for paypal to lift the payment limit? And i'm guessing the seller wouldn't bother if i have issues with my paypal account and possibly cancel my auction?

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your insights! I guess I will just pay with my swedish paypal account. another question - since my paypal account is newly registered and i just had it verified last week, i highly doubt if i'd receive the code within the next few days, and the bid is ending in 1 day! Is there an alternative method for paypal to lift the payment limit? And i'm guessing the seller wouldn't bother if i have issues with my paypal account and possibly cancel my auction?

Thanks again!
Call PayPal and see if your limit can be changed/lifted.

Okay I managed to get myself PayPal verified... Realised that I can check the code from my online bank statement *duh*! Thanks anyway :smile:

Now, this one bid is ending in 6 hours and I'm currently the highest bidder. The seller stated that shipping is to Asia, America but did not state Europe. I have sent a couple of messages asking if Sweden is ok, but no reply...
I had this bag authenticated in one of the TPF sub forums and received a positive response, that the bag is authentic. But when I checked his feedback, he only has 1 item for sale which is this bag. He has positive feedback from previous transactions but only as a seller. Is this a red flag? What should I do if I actually win the bid but I realise that the seller is suspicious?

Hello all

1) Pay with a credit card. If there's a problem, you can file a dispute with ebay or PayPal. If you lose, you can also dispute it on the credit card. But this additional remedy is not available if you pay with a debit card. Basically, once the money is out of your account, it's gone and if PayPal can't/won't help you have no further recourse.

2) If your shipping address in Sweden is registered with ebay, there should be no issue if you're paying w a Singapore credit card. The only issue of importance is that the card is valid. Because it's a foreign transaction however, it's possible the transaction might not be approved--at least initially. Normally, if you call your card company, verify it's you who's making the charge, it will be approved. It doesn't matter to PayPal what kind of card you're using, only that it's a valid method of payment.

3) If you pay using a debit card and the bag is fake, you can make a claim with ebay or PayPal. If it's an ebay transaction, PayPal will refer you to ebay. It will probably be fine. But, weird things can happen (I won't bore you with stories), and that's why I like to pay with a credit card so I have an extra measure of security. See my answer to #1.

1) Pay with a credit card. If there's a problem, you can file a dispute with ebay or PayPal. If you lose, you can also dispute it on the credit card. But this additional remedy is not available if you pay with a debit card. Basically, once the money is out of your account, it's gone and if PayPal can't/won't help you have no further recourse.

2) If your shipping address in Sweden is registered with ebay, there should be no issue if you're paying w a Singapore credit card. The only issue of importance is that the card is valid. Because it's a foreign transaction however, it's possible the transaction might not be approved--at least initially. Normally, if you call your card company, verify it's you who's making the charge, it will be approved. It doesn't matter to PayPal what kind of card you're using, only that it's a valid method of payment.

3) If you pay using a debit card and the bag is fake, you can make a claim with ebay or PayPal. If it's an ebay transaction, PayPal will refer you to ebay. It will probably be fine. But, weird things can happen (I won't bore you with stories), and that's why I like to pay with a credit card so I have an extra measure of security. See my answer to #1.

Thanks for your detailed explanation!
However I have no other choice but to pay using debit card as I'm one of those naughty shoppers when I am given a line of credit!

Can u kindly see my post prior to your reply? I'm in dire need of help with this issue :sad: im such a newbe and its terrifying to spend so much online... thanks!

Okay I managed to get myself PayPal verified... Realised that I can check the code from my online bank statement *duh*! Thanks anyway :smile:

Now, this one bid is ending in 6 hours and I'm currently the highest bidder. The seller stated that shipping is to Asia, America but did not state Europe. I have sent a couple of messages asking if Sweden is ok, but no reply...
I had this bag authenticated in one of the TPF sub forums and received a positive response, that the bag is authentic. But when I checked his feedback, he only has 1 item for sale which is this bag. He has positive feedback from previous transactions but only as a seller. Is this a red flag? What should I do if I actually win the bid but I realise that the seller is suspicious?
I don't know what you mean when you say, what do you do if you "win the bid but realise the seller is suspicious." What's suspicious? Basically, you're anticipating a problem that hypothetical only.
Once you've won the auction and paid for the item, the buyer is obligated to ship it to you. If he/she doesn't ship, you can file an item not received claim. If the item received is different from what you bid on, you can file an item not as described claim. But until you receive the item, any notion that the seller is suspicious is completely unfounded.
Consider the fact that the seller is probably just as wary of you as you are of them. I don't think it's a "red flag," that the seller hasn't sold much, or only has one item up for sale, particularly where as here, you've authenticated it.
Finally, if, after all your emails, you win the auction and the seller says they won't ship to Sweden, so be it. It wasn't meant. Agree to cancel the transaction and go onto the next item. There's always something new and wonderful on ebay.