eBay pet peeves! Post yours!

Apparently eBay just started charging sales tax in my state. Grrrrrrr. Not amusing. I'll be buying much less now, or changing my address. Does anyone know which states are still exempt?
New Hampshire and Oregon don't have sales tax.

But how much are you going to save if you have to pay annual PO box rentals and either drive, fly or pay someone to ship (with shipping costs) to send the items to you?

ETA: BTW, ebay didn't start charging sales tax to your state. YOUR STATE charges tax and ebay is collecting it and sending it to them.

Apparently eBay just started charging sales tax in my state. Grrrrrrr. Not amusing. I'll be buying much less now, or changing my address. Does anyone know which states are still exempt?

Same here. Honestly, it was fun while it lasted, but given that every other online retailer charges it, I can't complain. I am just having to retrain my brain to include that when evaluating the total cost for the item - though funny enough, I never do that when making a purchase in person at a retailer or at other online stores that always charged it. Eventually, it'll just be normal to my brain like those other transactions, I guess. And hey - maybe my state can fix all the pot holes with the influx of internet sales tax funds. HA

Reactions: houseof999
Is this type of listing allowed by eBay? It's an obvious LV fake but seller claims it's "unbranded" and "Have not seen anything like this on internet." [emoji849]

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/401740572326

I wouldn't think so - whether they use the key words, brand name, or not, it's clearly duplicating the LV logo (not just using a similar one) and so is not allowed.

Is it reportable?
Absolutely!

Whether they call it "unbranded," designer inspired, admit it's fake, claim not to know whether fake, or whatever other way they try to sell a fake, it doesn't change the fact that it's counterfeit and is reportable as such.

New Hampshire and Oregon don't have sales tax.

But how much are you going to save if you have to pay annual PO box rentals and either drive, fly or pay someone to ship (with shipping costs) to send the items to you?

ETA: BTW, ebay didn't start charging sales tax to your state. YOUR STATE charges tax and ebay is collecting it and sending it to them.
My state is SO BROKE they are trying everything. And we still have potholes.
Same here. Honestly, it was fun while it lasted, but given that every other online retailer charges it, I can't complain. I am just having to retrain my brain to include that when evaluating the total cost for the item - though funny enough, I never do that when making a purchase in person at a retailer or at other online stores that always charged it. Eventually, it'll just be normal to my brain like those other transactions, I guess. And hey - maybe my state can fix all the pot holes with the influx of internet sales tax funds. HA
Haha!
I generally don't think about tax, but when shopping at Hermes, I ALWAYS calculate tax because it makes already gigantic amounts even larger. They just started collected tax from all states. Formerly, if you lived in a state without an Hermes boutique, you didn't pay tax for online shopping!

Reactions: smallfry
Buyers acting like it's their birthright for me to sell things to them at a loss. One sent an inflammatory email basically stating how dare I benefit off of eBayers with my price, when I'd just barely get my cost back. Then another ingeniously tried to calculate my expenses for me, and somehow include the cost of the item as part of the "profits". His/her reasoning? Since I already have the item, then I'm not paying any additional money to sell it. So as long as I haven't purchased something this damn minute, I'm apparently getting it for free. Wait no, I'd be receiving "extra". The nerve of people to expect sellers taking chances getting scammed on the *Bay at a loss, or at best breaking even.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and buyers feigning interest to get you to take microscopic pictures, never mind ones in the listing were taken at every angle. Else looking for imaginary faults to call you a liar; sorry, the only thing contradictory is your eyes, that will take glares from the camera flash for wrinkles. If opening the bag a few time to take photos means something is not new with tags, then kindly craft that elusive item yourself.

Reactions: new.old.bag
Someone just submitted a best offer of $1.00 on one of my items where I have the BIN set to $495! Retail for this new was $700 and my piece is in pristine condition. I've never had offer settings before, as I wanted to respond to each one, but now I've gone ahead and set my listings to automatically decline. Oh, but first I blocked this bidder!

Someone just submitted a best offer of $1.00 on one of my items where I have the BIN set to $495! Retail for this new was $700 and my piece is in pristine condition. I've never had offer settings before, as I wanted to respond to each one, but now I've gone ahead and set my listings to automatically decline. Oh, but first I blocked this bidder!

[emoji35]