eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

It's probably fine but since it's the weekend, you don't need to do anything until Monday so hold off shipping in case ebay sees red flags.

If you look at the PP transaction, does it show "eligible" for seller protection? If so, you have protection as long as shipping is to the address in the transaction.

How much were the boots, including shipping? If $750 or more, you need to ship with signature confirmation.

Does the buyer's name in ebay match the buyer's name in the payment?
Is the buyer location the same as the shipping address?

Again, I don't think you need to worry but you do have the weekend as a cushion.
She wanted them shipped asap, which struck me as another red flag. But good idea, I'll absolutely wait until Monday.
PP does show Eligible, and the address and name matches from PP to eBay.
They were $950, so I'll definitely change the shipping to signature required. Did not know that, so thanks!
Any point in taking videos of the packing and shipping, or is that a debunked protection scheme?
Thanks again BeenBurned!

She wanted them shipped asap, which struck me as another red flag. But good idea, I'll absolutely wait until Monday.
PP does show Eligible, and the address and name matches from PP to eBay.
They were $950, so I'll definitely change the shipping to signature required. Did not know that, so thanks!
Any point in taking videos of the packing and shipping, or is that a debunked protection scheme?
Thanks again BeenBurned!
Many post offices aren't open on weekends. "So sorry. Can't ship till Monday."

Video won't hurt but ebay doesn't take it into account. And it's pretty easy so you can save the video.

If you print the label through either ebay or Paypal, there's a box where you can check for s.c. For $750+, even with delivery, if there's no signature and if the buyer claims non-receipt, you'll lose the case.

You have eBay Money Back Guarantee requests
If a buyer reports that an item hasn't been received

If you ship your item within your stated handling time and provide tracking information to the buyer before you or the buyer asks us to step in and help with a request, you're protected.

Tracking information needs to include:

1. A delivery status of "delivered"
  2. The date of delivery
  3. The recipient's address
  4. Signature confirmation, if an item has a total cost of $750 or more

Reactions: cadillacclaire
That number is a dead end Black Hole. Try it.

As with many organizations - both Government and private sector - who have exploited Covid to subvert service to somewhere between substandard to non-existent, eBay has decided that since the virus can be transmitted via phone lines, they will make no calls to paying customers. 6 months ago, it was quite possible to get a living, breathing agent on the phone to resolve an issue.

I'm tyrying to find someone who has gone far up the food chain to locate the man hiding behind the curtain.

BeenBurned - Can you please tell me what options you selected to "get someone who spoke perfect English" and gave you the info you needed?
I called and since none of the options for the reason were appropriate, I chose selling. There was a long wait so I requested a call back.

when told the call would be approximately 57 minutes, I also went to live chat.

while chatting, the callback came in less than 30 minutes so I exited the chat and talked on the phone.

I was curious where the cs person was located and asked. She was in Southeast Asia.In this case there was no language barrier and I had no trouble with her accent.

OK, it had to happen. I sold an authentic Comme des Garcons wallet. Buyer received yesterday, and is now screaming about not authentic, not leather (”it’s plastic, I know, I can set fire to it right now and it will burn!), wants to know ”If I’m Chinese”, many many nasty things, and one of my favorites “I’ve got Comme des Garcons all over my house and I’m in fashion and I know this isn’t authentic”). I told him he was being insulting, and responded with a copy of my receipt when I purchased this wallet. I’ll let it go to eBay to resolve (I KNOW this crazy person will ramp it up the chain). My question: Does eBay ever side with the seller when they show a receipt, or should I just give it up and go ahead and do the return... And seriously, I’m tempted, this man doesn’t DESERVE this wallet.

OK, it had to happen. I sold an authentic Comme des Garcons wallet. Buyer received yesterday, and is now screaming about not authentic, not leather (”it’s plastic, I know, I can set fire to it right now and it will burn!), wants to know ”If I’m Chinese”, many many nasty things, and one of my favorites “I’ve got Comme des Garcons all over my house and I’m in fashion and I know this isn’t authentic”). I told him he was being insulting, and responded with a copy of my receipt when I purchased this wallet. I’ll let it go to eBay to resolve (I KNOW this crazy person will ramp it up the chain). My question: Does eBay ever side with the seller when they show a receipt, or should I just give it up and go ahead and do the return... And seriously, I’m tempted, this man doesn’t DESERVE this wallet.
No, these days ebay doesn't side with the seller. Your best bet is to just quietly accept the return.

@indiaink: I’ve had eBay side with me as a seller twice. However, in the most recent, even though eBay agreed with me as seller, and I was assured by a live CS rep the case was resolved in my favor, their system processed the item as a case and forced a return.

Because it’s so hard to get a rep on the phone, the escalation timeframes, and what ebay’s system does in terms of automatic updates, better to retain some sense of control and accept the return.

Reactions: indiaink
@indiaink: I’ve had eBay side with me as a seller twice. However, in the most recent, even though eBay agreed with me as seller, and I was assured by a live CS rep the case was resolved in my favor, their system processed the item as a case and forced a return.

Because it’s so hard to get a rep on the phone, the escalation timeframes, and what ebay’s system does in terms of automatic updates, better to retain some sense of control and accept the return.
@grietje, thanks for your input. I’ve got Concierge service, so I have no trouble with talking to a live person, but - I’ve decided to take the high road and do the return and get this lovely wallet back. I never thought I’d get a nutcase. Over a $40 purchase, no less. Go figure. Eh, it is what it is. Keep good thoughts in mind that I get the wallet back in the condition in which it was sold. :flowers:

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and whateve