eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

Thank you for all of the helpful info about the new sales tax details. I am in Washington state, so it looks like I will have tax added to all of my eBay purchases. Washington seems to be an early adopter of internet taxes, it has been the case in the past due to the big tech presence here. I think the tax at checkout will be good for me, because I see the full price before I buy an item; it will keep me from buying so much on eBay, since prices will not be so tempting. I’m just glad that my first purchases of the year were all BIN instead of auction, so the addition of tax was not an unexpected shock.
I remember years ago winning an auction and being disappointed when sales tax was added during checkout. I didn't realize I was going to pay more than what I bid plus shipping. I think what annoyed me most was that people in other states didn't have to pay it. If everyone is paying sales tax, then it seems more fair.

Reactions: nicole0612
I remember years ago winning an auction and being disappointed when sales tax was added during checkout. I didn't realize I was going to pay more than what I bid plus shipping. I think what annoyed me most was that people in other states didn't have to pay it. If everyone is paying sales tax, then it seems more fair.
We were always supposed to pay the tax if there is a sales tax in your state. On your income tax returns, it is on there, to report any purchases so you will pay the tax(sales/use). It is just people don't declare it so they are forcing sites to do so. It used to be you would only pay at the time of purchase if the seller had a presence in your state.

We were always supposed to pay the tax if there is a sales tax in your state. On your income tax returns, it is on there, to report any purchases so you will pay the tax(sales/use). It is just people don't declare it so they are forcing sites to do so. It used to be you would only pay at the time of purchase if the seller had a presence in your state.

Yes, I believe we must have paid it at the end of the year in the past as part of our income taxes because we turn in all of our credit card records to our accountant as part of the calculation and filing process.
Paying the sales tax immediately will probably help me to purchase less unless it’s something that I really need, which is a good thing.

Reactions: whateve

Yes, this way does seem better and more fair, I was just surprised that there was not more publicity about it before it went into effect.

Just asking for general opinion, is it worth selling a Cartier watch on eBay these days, after reading all the precautions to take etc provided on this forum? I've been really lowballed at Tourneau and I'd like to net more than they are offering me.

I just sold a Movado for $150. It was worn once, still under warranty and had a change battery sticker dated 2020. The buyer insisted the battery was dead on arrival. It was more aggravation than the watch was worth — and again, I wore it once.

With the Cartier, I’d shop around and also look at consignment. Let someone else deal with lowballers and people looking for after the fact discounts.

Hello!

I purchased an item on eBay 8 months ago. I went to sell it and was told it is not authentic. I did not authentic it at the time.

Do I have any recourse?
I don't think so. It is too late for disputes through ebay, paypal, or your credit card. If you purchased it on ebay and it was removed on ebay, you can call ebay and tell them you bought it on ebay, so they will remove the defect from your account. You could try contacting the seller. If she is reputable, she might consider taking it back or giving a refund, but she is not obligated to do so.

Hello!

I purchased an item on eBay 8 months ago. I went to sell it and was told it is not authentic. I did not authentic it at the time.

Do I have any recourse?

I don't think so. It is too late for disputes through ebay, paypal, or your credit card. If you purchased it on ebay and it was removed on ebay, you can call ebay and tell them you bought it on ebay, so they will remove the defect from your account. You could try contacting the seller. If she is reputable, she might consider taking it back or giving a refund, but she is not obligated to do so.
I have a few comments.

No one knows whether the item is fake or not or if the listing may have been wrongly removed. Without intending to beat you up, when buying potentially faked items, you should have checked authenticity either before or after your purchase 8 months ago.

Before doing taking any action, my suggestion would be to post pictures of the item on the brand-appropriate "authenticate this" subforum here on TPF. I don't know what brand it was and some of the authenticators here don't authenticate completed listings, don't authenticate for sellers and don't authenticate without links to listings so you may be forced to invest $7.50-ish on a professional. But it doesn't hurt to post and try to get help here first.

If the item is deemed as authentic, you can submit an appeal with pro documentation to ebay. They should remove the ding and reinstate the listing.

If the item is deemed as fake, then the removal was appropriate and you'll be at the mercy of the seller. If she's honorable, she might be willing to issue a refund but she's under no obligation to do so at this late point.

And (assuming it is fake), if she's unwilling to refund, you probably have nothing to lose by trying to file a credit card dispute if it was paid that way. If you lose the c.c. dispute, you'll have to consider this the price you pay for not verifying at the time of purchase.

But again, first thing is to find out whether it's fake or not.

Reactions: Catbird9
I listed some clothing that didn't have any size tag. Ebay wouldn't let me list without filling in the size in the item specifics. So I guessed. I put lots of measurements in the description. Am I going to have problems with guessing a size?

I got positive feedback today on something that tracking doesn't show as delivered. The buyer is happy and mentioned in her feedback that she received it before the estimated delivery date. Do I need to call ebay to make sure they know it was delivered on time?

Hi!
I purchased a scarf on eBay and the seller has sent me a note:
"Bonjour,
Je vous ai expédié le foulard hier, le numéro de suivi est sur le site. J’ai fait une erreur concernant le prix de l’expédition qui m’est revenu à 28€ avec l’assurance...je vous laisse juge si vous voulez compléter, bon week-end, bien cordialement.
M.A"

I think it says that she underestimated the shipping costs and is asking in a round-about way if I will pay the difference. I have already paid $22.87 in shipping - which seems pretty substantial.
I'm not sure what to do… I'm sorry she underestimated the cost (but if I had, I wouldn't ask the buyer to re-imburse me because that would be my fault), but she didn't send proof of the actual cost and if I did chose to pay - lets say half - how would I?

I got positive feedback today on something that tracking doesn't show as delivered. The buyer is happy and mentioned in her feedback that she received it before the estimated delivery date. Do I need to call ebay to make sure they know it was delivered on time?
On the one hand, I say not to poke the sleeping bear. You got feedback and know the item was delivered. OTOH, if you're account is at risk (i.e., approaching 3% late shipping/delivery), you might want to get the ding removed.

(For the record, I had several items that were either scanned late after shipping or delivered late during the holiday rush and my late shipment rate was higher than I like and higher than it should have been. I called ebay and the rep looked at the tracking, saw delivery prior to or by the due date and removed 5 dings.)

Hi!
I purchased a scarf on eBay and the seller has sent me a note:
"Bonjour,
Je vous ai expédié le foulard hier, le numéro de suivi est sur le site. J’ai fait une erreur concernant le prix de l’expédition qui m’est revenu à 28€ avec l’assurance...je vous laisse juge si vous voulez compléter, bon week-end, bien cordialement.
M.A"

I think it says that she underestimated the shipping costs and is asking in a round-about way if I will pay the difference. I have already paid $22.87 in shipping - which seems pretty substantial.
I'm not sure what to do… I'm sorry she underestimated the cost (but if I had, I wouldn't ask the buyer to re-imburse me because that would be my fault), but she didn't send proof of the actual cost and if I did chose to pay - lets say half - how would I?
You've translated correctly. But as I'm understanding, she's asking you to help with the cost if you desire.

This is what I got through translation software: "Hello, I sent you the scarf yesterday, the tracking number is on the site. I made a mistake concerning the price of the expedition which returned me to 28 € with the insurance ... I leave you judge if you want to complete, good weekend, cordially."

IMO, it's nervy to request though she's leaving it up to you to decide if you want to help. But as the seller, she should have properly calculated the cost.

I think I'd respond with something to the effect of:
"Dear seller,

I'm sorry it cost more for shipping than you calculated but I based my purchase on what my budget allowed and I can't afford to pay extra for shipping when it wasn't in the listing."

Additionally, ebay doesn't allow sellers to increase the shipping charge if the seller made an error but I'm guessing that the seller knows that, thus she shipped anyway and gave you the option of helping.