eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

I’ll wait until my item is back in my hands, eBay does what they said and then I’ll refund the buyer minus the 15%.

BTW, on my screen the pendant is clearly two colors and anyone who’s familiar with this particular pendant knows that’s how they are made.

In other news, I just blocked someone else for lowball offers both via the offer button which were automatically denied and by message. Is there a full moon or something?

As always, BeenBurned, thanks! You’re the best!
Since the buyer didn't go through ebay for the return, you'll probably have to call to get your fees back.

BTW, on my screen the pendant is clearly two colors and anyone who’s familiar with this particular pendant knows that’s how they are made.
I'm not criticizing your listing or pictures. I'm just pointing out that buyers who don't read and may not know the item they're buying might not have noticed the differences in the colors.

Absolutely, someone who knows what they're buying wouldn't have made the mistake that the buyer made.

Fortunately, she didn't file SNAD since had she done so, even though you are correct in your listing, you'd have had to pay for the return shipping label and wouldn't have been able to retain the 15%.

I'm not criticizing your listing or pictures. I'm just pointing out that buyers who don't read and may not know the item they're buying might not have noticed the differences in the colors.

Absolutely, someone who knows what they're buying wouldn't have made the mistake that the buyer made.

Fortunately, she didn't file SNAD since had she done so, even though you are correct in your listing, you'd have had to pay for the return shipping label and wouldn't have been able to retain the 15%.

You know what really galls me? That pendant traveled all the way to Hawaii. I’d love to be in Hawaii right about now.

I need advice, please. I purchased a (recently discontinued) Bobbi Brown foundation that was listed NWOT. Three days after winning the bid and paying (since seller hadn’t shipped yet), I read feedback only to find out seller has several negatives (not shipping, canceling order if highest bid is too low, not communicating & SNAD). I received it today and am sure the foundation was watered down. I’ve used it for years, and it normally has a very thick texture; the one I received is extremely watery. The price was pretty good but I know it can’t be new— plus I don’t want a watered down version. I’m just not sure how to proceed... I’ve never done a SNAD or complained. Should I just cut my losses for an inexpensive item?

Last edited:
I need advice, please. I purchased a (recently discontinued) Bobbi Brown foundation that was listed NWOT. Three days after winning the bid and paying (since seller hadn’t shipped yet), I read feedback only to find out seller has several negatives (not shipping, canceling order if highest bid is too low, not communicating & SNAD). I received it today and am sure the foundation was watered down. I’ve used it for years, and it normally has a very thick texture; the one I received is extremely watery. The price was pretty good but I know it can’t be new— plus I don’t want a watered down version. I’m just not sure how to proceed... I’ve never done a SNAD or complained. Should I just cut my losses for an inexpensive item?
It sounds like it's been watered down, in which case it's SNAD.

I'm curious. Was the container sealed? Does it have a date code for manufacturing and expiration?

If she tampered and diluted it, I certainly don't think eating the loss is the way to go. It's not the amount of money; it's the principle.

Although I never buy cosmetics online, I've heard of it being done with MAC and perfumes.

Reactions: Catbird9

I'm curious. Was the container sealed? Does it have a date code for manufacturing and expiration?

If she tampered and diluted it, I certainly don't think eating the loss is the way to go. It's not the amount of money; it's the principle.

Although I never buy cosmetics online, I've heard of it being done with MAC and perfumes.

It wasn’t sealed, but normally isn’t (when purchased new). It just comes in a box, but she said NWOT and no box. No date code either (it’s normally on the box). I usually don’t buy cosmetics on eBay but only did because my favorite foundation was discontinued. If I file a SNAD case, how do I prove it was diluted? Won’t eBay want proof? Should I contact the seller first (and just ask for a refund)? Thank you for your advice btw.

Edit: I went ahead and initiated a return with the return reason “Item does not match description”. I hope that’s the correct one & method to start a SNAD... You’re right though— it’s about principle. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: BeenBurned

She already replied! Not sure what to do now. Here’s what she said:

Apr 21
The seller sent you a message
Hello, this item has NEVER been used and has never been tampered with or “watered down”. I will not accept a return for an authentic item that you bought for over 50% off.

My photo below shows the difference between same foundation purchased directly from Bobbi Brown website (right side), and the one purchased from this seller (left side).

Last edited:
She already replied! Not sure what to do now. Here’s what she said:

Apr 21
The seller sent you a message
Hello, this item has NEVER been used and has never been tampered with or “watered down”. I will not accept a return for an authentic item that you bought for over 50% off.
Since she's refusing the return, escalate. (It sounds like you just requested a return rather than SNAD. No?)

Now ebay will step in and hopefully find in your favor. The worst that can happen is that they find in favor of the seller and you're so worse off than you are now.

What’s the difference? Requesting a return with that reason is not SNAD? How do I do that?
Maybe it is. Usually sellers wouldn't deny a snad dispute because it's a known fact that ebay is lopsided in favor of buyers.

I do see the difference in your picture. If you can include a picture indicating that the watery one is from her and the thicker is what it's supposed to look like, that might help. (I'm not sure whether you can add the picture.)

Reactions: LolaCalifornia
Maybe it is. Usually sellers wouldn't deny a snad dispute because it's a known fact that ebay is lopsided in favor of buyers.

I do see the difference in your picture. If you can include a picture indicating that the watery one is from her and the thicker is what it's supposed to look like, that might help. (I'm not sure whether you can add the picture.)

Thanks again, BB. I did add the photo. Apparently I can’t ask eBay to step in until the 3rd day from my return request. I guess I’ll just wait until then and see what happens.