eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

I recently had a sale where the guy claimed the card case I'd sent had a slice in it and in fact, he stated that it looked as though it were cut with a box cutter.

I knew it wasn't damaged when I'd sent it but I sent a prepaid label and told him to return it to me. Either he lied about the damage and kept it or his conscience got the better of him because he never returned it. I was out the cost of the return shipping label but at least I didn't get a damaged item back that I had to refund.
I purchased the label through my own usps account. That way if she doesn't return hopefully I'll be able to cancel the label and get my money back for shipping. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Bunnie.863
Probably not. Is she top rated? If you go to her seller dashboard, there is a part labeled "transaction defect rate." According to what I'm seeing, a transaction only counts as a defect if the seller didn't resolve it herself, which your mom did. And again in the "cases closed without seller resolution" it only counts against the seller if the case was escalated and decided in the buyer's favor.

Thank you! Im not sure she’s a top rated seller, but I’ll check her seller dashboard. :smile:

Reactions: whateve
So, I'm a newbie seller and could use some advice. An item I had listed sold and the (US) buyer paid promptly - I'm in Canada. I shipped it using the ebay/shippo system, with all the customs paperwork etc. and have been tracking it. It has been 'out for delivery' at the buyer's end for the past week. I also messaged the buyer asking if there were any issues with delivery, but have not got a response.

Should I be concerned? I shipped it Expedited/XpressPost, with signature required. Is there anything I can do to follow up? Does it get shipped back if they don't pick it up?

So, I'm a newbie seller and could use some advice. An item I had listed sold and the (US) buyer paid promptly - I'm in Canada. I shipped it using the ebay/shippo system, with all the customs paperwork etc. and have been tracking it. It has been 'out for delivery' at the buyer's end for the past week. I also messaged the buyer asking if there were any issues with delivery, but have not got a response.

Should I be concerned? I shipped it Expedited/XpressPost, with signature required. Is there anything I can do to follow up? Does it get shipped back if they don't pick it up?
If the buyer doesn't respond, chances are good that she received it. I've found that international (US -> other countries as well as other countries -> US) shipments aren't scanned on delivery.

My advice to sellers has always been that no news is good news. Don't question buyers when tracking doesn't show delivery. You can be sure that you would have heard from the buyer had she not received the item, at which point, you could call USPS for further info.

Though most buyers and sellers are honest, poking the sleeping bear can influence a dishonest person to realize that she can get a free item by claiming INR.

If the buyer doesn't respond, chances are good that she received it. I've found that international (US -> other countries as well as other countries -> US) shipments aren't scanned on delivery.

My advice to sellers has always been that no news is good news. Don't question buyers when tracking doesn't show delivery. You can be sure that you would have heard from the buyer had she not received the item, at which point, you could call USPS for further info.

Though most buyers and sellers are honest, poking the sleeping bear can influence a dishonest person to realize that she can get a free item by claiming INR.
Thank you for your response. I had already sent the buyer a message prior to my post, so hopefully all is well.

I agree, the buyer has probably already received it. In my experience, the item will continue to show out for delivery if the carrier neglected to get the required signature upon delivery. That's why I don't recommend requiring a signature unless it is required by paypal/ebay because of the dollar amount of the sale.

I don't know on ebay.uk. I never put anything on automatic relist. On ebay.com I usually select a bunch to bulk relist, and before I click submit, I check to see if it is charging me any fees. Then once I've submitted them, I look back on my selling page to see which promotion they were charged to.

Thanks for your reply...........eBay fortunately refunded all my .35p listing fees for the 1 & 3 days listings as a good will gesture, they obviously know the t&c's aren't easy to find :confused1: but once bitten twice shy. I had no idea the free listings didn't apply to these promotions.
I'm still not sure about the 5 day listings but it's not showing charges when I do re-list in bulk. It's taking them out of my monthly free quota of 20. I think previously it took them from my 100 free daily which may have different terms ...............I guess I'll have to run the gauntlet of the online chat help :lol: :nuts: :wtf: :no:

I do prefer to automically re-list, I tend to forget and find it a hassle otherwise. I have multiple accounts & lots of listings which makes hard work relisting manually even with the "bulk re-list".

Thanks for your reply...........eBay fortunately refunded all my .35p listing fees for the 1 & 3 days listings as a good will gesture, they obviously know the t&c's aren't easy to find :confused1: but once bitten twice shy. I had no idea the free listings didn't apply to these promotions.
I'm still not sure about the 5 day listings but it's not showing charges when I do re-list in bulk. It's taking them out of my monthly free quota of 20. I think previously it took them from my 100 free daily which may have different terms ...............I guess I'll have to run the gauntlet of the online chat help :lol: :nuts: :wtf: :no:

I do prefer to automically re-list, I tend to forget and find it a hassle otherwise. I have multiple accounts & lots of listings which makes hard work relisting manually even with the "bulk re-list".
The terms must be different for UK. In the US, we get 50 free listings. I have two accounts, so that makes 100 free. When they give me free listings, it usually applies to relists. I do exclusively 30 day BINs and it always applies to those. When I bulk relist, it almost always takes them from the promotion first.

I'm surprised the UK is still at only 20 free. They tried that in the US for about a month, and the number of listings must have dropped dramatically because it was almost immediately upped to 50.

The terms must be different for UK. In the US, we get 50 free listings. I have two accounts, so that makes 100 free. When they give me free listings, it usually applies to relists. I do exclusively 30 day BINs and it always applies to those. When I bulk relist, it almost always takes them from the promotion first.

I'm surprised the UK is still at only 20 free. They tried that in the US for about a month, and the number of listings must have dropped dramatically because it was almost immediately upped to 50.
I get offers for free listing up to 100 listings monthly.

I have a quick question. I have a buyer want to return an item. I have agreed to it. She didn't open a case or a return request. How do I refund the buyer so that I can get my FVF back? I went to my seller dashboard and next to the sold item, I have no option to "issue a refund" or anything like that. Thanks in advance for your help!

I have a quick question. I have a buyer want to return an item. I have agreed to it. She didn't open a case or a return request. How do I refund the buyer so that I can get my FVF back? I went to my seller dashboard and next to the sold item, I have no option to "issue a refund" or anything like that. Thanks in advance for your help!
You can issue the refund through paypal, then call ebay and tell them what you did and ask for your FVF back. They've done it for me. Or you can instruct your buyer to open a return request, choosing the "changed mind" reason so she pays for shipping, and everything will be automatic.

Reactions: chicinthecity777
Does this tracking mean it’s coming back to me or sitting for them to pickup? Thought it was odd it went back to the distribution center instead of staying at their local post office.

View attachment 3885887
It could have been a misscan. Or they might have mistakenly sent it back to the distribution center.

It does say it's in transit to the destination and I'm confident that's correct.

Reactions: Kidclarke