eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

Hi all. Sold a bag on eBay. Gave detailed description. Buyer received bag opened a dispute and said there was "sun damage". I know exactly what she's talking about. It's not actually flawed, that's the design of the bag. I sent stock photos and a listing from Fashionphile showing the same bag with the same look. Buyer hasn't responded. How long will this case stay open? Do I need to contact eBay? My money is on hold. It's only been a day so I know she still has time to request refunds, etc. I just would like details on timing. Thanks!!
Do you have a return policy? If so, you don't have an option about accepting it.

But either way, I'd respond to the case saying that the perceived discoloration is the nature of the style of bag (as shown per the following listings for the same item - and include a couple of links) but if the buyer is unhappy, she can return.

Try to get her to agree that it's "as described" so she can cover return shipping but if she balks, offer to cover the return also.

And if and when you relist, include a blurb disclosing that the nature of the leather makes it appear to have discoloration but it's not a flaw.

Reactions: kaydelongpre
Hi all. Sold a bag on eBay. Gave detailed description. Buyer received bag opened a dispute and said there was "sun damage". I know exactly what she's talking about. It's not actually flawed, that's the design of the bag. I sent stock photos and a listing from Fashionphile showing the same bag with the same look. Buyer hasn't responded. How long will this case stay open? Do I need to contact eBay? My money is on hold. It's only been a day so I know she still has time to request refunds, etc. I just would like details on timing. Thanks!!
If you look at the case, it should say how long the buyer has to respond. I wouldn't do anything as long as you have sufficiently explained your position. The next move is hers. At some point, she has the option to escalate. Or she might close the case or let it expire.

I don't think that you should accept the return in all cases. Once she has opened a SNAD dispute, there is no way to change that so she pays return shipping and the original shipping. If you accept the return, you'll be responsible for shipping both ways and you will have a SNAD on your record. I don't believe she has the option to change her return request from SNAD to changed her mind, and she can't close this request and open another.

Reactions: kaydelongpre
I have posted in the non-paying bidder thread but I now have a question about that transaction. Long story short, I accepted a return from a buyer who returned a totally different item than the one I sent her AND included a note to that effect (not kidding) Ebay found the case in my favor but I was already charged for the return shipping $7.66. I have called ebay a number of times about this and basically gotten nowhere. The last person, who said she was a supervisor in the escalation department, said that ebay had no means to return that charge since the postage was used. My response was to charge the person who used it and credit me since the return case was found in my favor. I know that someone can credit me for this since I feel that I shouldn't have to pay it.

Is this just a cost of doing business or should I continue the fight til I get what I want?

I have posted in the non-paying bidder thread but I now have a question about that transaction. Long story short, I accepted a return from a buyer who returned a totally different item than the one I sent her AND included a note to that effect (not kidding) Ebay found the case in my favor but I was already charged for the return shipping $7.66. I have called ebay a number of times about this and basically gotten nowhere. The last person, who said she was a supervisor in the escalation department, said that ebay had no means to return that charge since the postage was used. My response was to charge the person who used it and credit me since the return case was found in my favor. I know that someone can credit me for this since I feel that I shouldn't have to pay it.

Is this just a cost of doing business or should I continue the fight til I get what I want?
In principle you are right, and there is probably a way that eBay can give you a courtesy credit for the $7.66. However at this point I would ask myself how much is $7.66 worth my time and aggravation to get the credit, versus just letting it go and chalking it up to "cost of doing business." To me, that amount would not be worth it.

Reactions: Bunnie.863
In principle you are right, and there is probably a way that eBay can give you a courtesy credit for the $7.66. However at this point I would ask myself how much is $7.66 worth my time and aggravation to get the credit, versus just letting it go and chalking it up to "cost of doing business." To me, that amount would not be worth it.
In this case and for the amount of money involved, I agree with this. ^^^

My mom sold a NWT Kate Spade phone case recently and sold it for $18 + $3 shipping. The seller requested a return, claiming the item was not as described because the packaging had a small tear (it came that way). My mom, who’s 73 btw, accepted the return and refunded immediately, before the buyer sent it back. She (my mom) also sent an additional $4 via PP for return shipping costs. Buyer was supposed to print the label by Sep. 21 and then return it, but since my mom refunded so quickly, the buyer didn’t get the return label generated through eBay. Apparently, it is not accessible anymore.

Today, my mom called eBay and they told her to contact the buyer. She did this today via eBay message system, and the buyer responded that she never got a return label. The buyer does not want to go to the post office to mail the phone case back; she wants a mailing label provided. My mom is thinking of just letting her keep it, but I don’t think my mom should eat the cost. She’s really trying to accommodate the buyer and situation, and the buyer isn’t going out of her way to help. Yes, she made a mistake by refunding too quickly, but she can’t undo that now. I’m not sure what to recommend to my mom at this point... Any suggestions on how to handle this?

This buyer never sent back the phone case. But I’m actually wondering now if this SNAD will stay on my mom’s profile, even if she refunded. Does anyone know? It bugs me mostly because the phone case was exactly as described and as shown in photos! It was just the box that had a small tear at the top by the flap that opens it. Will it show up and affect her good seller status?

This buyer never sent back the phone case. But I’m actually wondering now if this SNAD will stay on my mom’s profile, even if she refunded. Does anyone know? It bugs me mostly because the phone case was exactly as described and as shown in photos! It was just the box that had a small tear at the top by the flap that opens it. Will it show up and affect her good seller status?
Probably not. Is she top rated? If you go to her seller dashboard, there is a part labeled "transaction defect rate." According to what I'm seeing, a transaction only counts as a defect if the seller didn't resolve it herself, which your mom did. And again in the "cases closed without seller resolution" it only counts against the seller if the case was escalated and decided in the buyer's favor.

Reactions: LolaCalifornia
Can someone tell me where to find the terms & conditions of the free listing promotions - 100 per day and 20 per month on EBay.co.uk

I wanted to check if they apply to 5 day auction listings. I got caught out last month after listing several items on 1 & 3 day listings and put them on automatically relist.........I didn't realise these weren't included in my 100 per day free and ending up with a big bill :cursing:. Thy were only cheap items under £10 .....my logic being that there were thousands the same on EBay and buyers (like me) probably searched by using ending soonest.......which really bit me in the bum with listing fees of .35p x 40 daily :panic:

I'm struggling to find the t&c's anywhere! I've clicked on "more" details but terms & conditions don't come up :annoyed: I can see why I missed them before

In this case and for the amount of money involved, I agree with this. ^^^

This is exactly what my husband has been saying. I can tend to be a terrier with a bone when I get my back up, so thank you for the objective advise. I will be thankful that, as a seller, I actually won a case. Thank you again.

I forgot to mention that you should attempt to be friendly and not adversarial in your messages. The way your buyer feels about you personally may affect her actions.
So this truly was a BS situation. I had no option. I sent the buyer multiple messages explaining that was the nature of the bag. She never responded. eBay told me I had until 11/16 to accept the return AND pay for her to send it back to me. I don't even take returns. But whatever. I sent her a label. We shall see if she even returns it. She has a week.

Can someone tell me where to find the terms & conditions of the free listing promotions - 100 per day and 20 per month on EBay.co.uk

I wanted to check if they apply to 5 day auction listings. I got caught out last month after listing several items on 1 & 3 day listings and put them on automatically relist.........I didn't realise these weren't included in my 100 per day free and ending up with a big bill :cursing:. Thy were only cheap items under £10 .....my logic being that there were thousands the same on EBay and buyers (like me) probably searched by using ending soonest.......which really bit me in the bum with listing fees of .35p x 40 daily :panic:

I'm struggling to find the t&c's anywhere! I've clicked on "more" details but terms & conditions don't come up :annoyed: I can see why I missed them before
I don't know on ebay.uk. I never put anything on automatic relist. On ebay.com I usually select a bunch to bulk relist, and before I click submit, I check to see if it is charging me any fees. Then once I've submitted them, I look back on my selling page to see which promotion they were charged to.

So this truly was a BS situation. I had no option. I sent the buyer multiple messages explaining that was the nature of the bag. She never responded. eBay told me I had until 11/16 to accept the return AND pay for her to send it back to me. I don't even take returns. But whatever. I sent her a label. We shall see if she even returns it. She has a week.
I recently had a sale where the guy claimed the card case I'd sent had a slice in it and in fact, he stated that it looked as though it were cut with a box cutter.

I knew it wasn't damaged when I'd sent it but I sent a prepaid label and told him to return it to me. Either he lied about the damage and kept it or his conscience got the better of him because he never returned it. I was out the cost of the return shipping label but at least I didn't get a damaged item back that I had to refund.