Docride's Hermes Lazarus Thread (can this Hermes be Saved? )

Hello doc! Always appreciate your help and expertise. What can be done for this sort of abrasion on Vache? Also some general care advice? Thanks so much!!View attachment 3895133
Hello there, That's a rub off of the semi finish doesn't look real bad to me. When you condition the bag it will go darker and you can start moving on toward building its patina. I do not advise doing color touch up work on unfinished leathers.
As for care information please see my Hermes Leather care thread here in the reference section
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...-care-recommendations-list-no-chatter.972523/
and page down till you see the section on Vache natural. OK? All the best, doc

Reactions: momasaurus
Hello! I was interested in buying this bag (tan epsom Constance 1982) but wanted to know if I could minimize the look of the wear/scuffing on the area near the hardware. If I can do myself or if it is better to take to hermes spa. Thank you!

PS_ I love all your threads/advice, so helpful!!

Attachments

• IMG_5812.JPG
    IMG_5812.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 782
Hello! I was interested in buying this bag (tan epsom Constance 1982) but wanted to know if I could minimize the look of the wear/scuffing on the area near the hardware. If I can do myself or if it is better to take to hermes spa. Thank you!

PS_ I love all your threads/advice, so helpful!!
Hello there,
You might be able to do some color work there but you'll need to be handy on custom mixing the color its very very hard and often times near impossible to do a spot color touch up in the middle of a panel without having to color freshen all the rest of the bag. Maybe take to Hermes and see what they can do for you. ? Someone handy with color mixing could do it IMO :smile:
All the best,doc

Hello there,
You might be able to do some color work there but you'll need to be handy on custom mixing the color its very very hard and often times near impossible to do a spot color touch up in the middle of a panel without having to color freshen all the rest of the bag. Maybe take to Hermes and see what they can do for you. ? Someone handy with color mixing could do it IMO :smile:
All the best,doc
Thank you for the advice. I will most likely take it to hermes since I'm not sure I trust myself with precise color matching!

Hello doc, I bought your luxury again spa kit for box calf etc. bag and applied it on my 20 year old Kelly seller (box leather) today. Everything worked well until when I used "conditioning weather & stain shield pad". I am not sure it is because I did not wipe off the product right after I applied it (I left in on the leather for a minute or two and waiting for it to dry as instructed), but then some part of the leather becomes darker then others, leaving stripes on it, esp. a half palm size on the back of the back. I wiped it with the dry cloth and waited for a while still the marks are there......

I applied the luxury lotion on after a while hoping the marks will go away, but no luck yet. Now the bag has been standing there for a couple of hours now and to the pain of my eyes and heart, the marks are still there! Will it improve? Any suggestions?

I'm attaching a photo, but feel it's hard to capture the discoloring on the phone.
IMG_20171214_105751.jpg

Hello doc, I bought your luxury again spa kit for box calf etc. bag and applied it on my 20 year old Kelly seller (box leather) today. Everything worked well until when I used "conditioning weather & stain shield pad". I am not sure it is because I did not wipe off the product right after I applied it (I left in on the leather for a minute or two and waiting for it to dry as instructed), but then some part of the leather becomes darker then others, leaving stripes on it, esp. a half palm size on the back of the back. I wiped it with the dry cloth and waited for a while still the marks are there......

I applied the luxury lotion on after a while hoping the marks will go away, but no luck yet. Now the bag has been standing there for a couple of hours now and to the pain of my eyes and heart, the marks are still there! Will it improve? Any suggestions?

I'm attaching a photo, but feel it's hard to capture the discoloring on the phone.
View attachment 3907482

Hello ,Im sure the seller of that product will be happy to help
but this is NOT the place to ask these querries
This is against all TPF Rules Please do NOT Contact me here
You can reach the seller through the chanels you purchased it if on eBy go through eBay
thank you for understanding

Also if you are ever working on a bag and something doesn't seem right after you did a hidden spot test, and you started on the bottom panel and then the sides and the rear panel and you saw no issues then the problem is NOT the product the problem is the bags surface
If you see a problem happening then STOP do no put something else over it and hope.

View attachment 3907482
Additionally your bag is not Box Calf its Vache Natural,( you are using product specifically for Box Calf on the wrong leather) the stripes showing up on one area or two are the striations in the leather. This is not a product doing this to your leather , this is natural to the skin. Additionally the palm sized area where the products did not absorb I suspect of being an area of prior color coverage with some kind of paint or product .Many times sellers state their item is made of a leather which it is not, and also will not disclose prior color work or bad paint jobs. Many just play dumb and still others simply do not know or don't care. I am sorry you were duped, however on the bright side, Vache Natural leather is very special and you actually have a rare gem!
Please take a moment to look at my Hermes leather care thread which will help you understand what products to use on this leather.
All the best,doc

Hi Docride- Thanks for this thread! I was shocked to find some deep non surface scratches on my epsom.
IMG_1514880600.736732.jpg
It’s on the front panel, bottom. I’ve read some of your other posts and have bought some saphir leather lotion.

What are your recommendations and do you think this is fixable? I’ve read epsom is “scratch resistant” so I’m shocked. There have not been any cats around, only some children and I can’t imagine them having anything so sharp to have caused this.

Thanks again!

Hi Docride- Thanks for this thread! I was shocked to find some deep non surface scratches on my epsom.
View attachment 3922113
It’s on the front panel, bottom. I’ve read some of your other posts and have bought some saphir leather lotion.

What are your recommendations and do you think this is fixable? I’ve read epsom is “scratch resistant” so I’m shocked. There have not been any cats around, only some children and I can’t imagine them having anything so sharp to have caused this.

Thanks again!

Too bad that scratch resistant does not mean scratch proof. (Even metal isn't scratch proof.)
Maybe see if you can gently push the scraped leather back into place? It kind of looks like a scrape rather cut? Perhaps bring it into Hermes and see if they can do it for you?
Also look at your bag from 3 feet away... That''s how others see it. Is it really glaring when you squint and let your eyes go a little blurry?

Scratches when on textured leather will remain, especially noticeable when those scratches cross the grain. Sometimes you can make them look less noticeable if they are lighter in color with some touch up color . But they will remain either way.

Adding color coverage if needed helps mask marks if the area is missing color but that is not going to re-grain or re-texture those areas where the top skin is missing or disrupted. Although there are regraining kits for vinyl and leather used in the automotive interior and furniture restoration areas. Personally I would not mess with regraining kits on an Hermes bag I think you would end up with a much more pronounced blemish as a result.

I do not recommend using leather conditioner for deep scratches. Conditioners sometimes can help make light scratches on smooth finished leather in dark colors such as box calf look less noticeable because it helps move pigment into them.
But generally, deep scratches which are lighter that the rest of the leather are better off handled with color touch up done by a professional.
If your leather has deep scratches conditioner will usually make those areas look darker. I say bring your bag to Hermes and see if they can touch it up for you?
Good luck, doc
I hope this helped?

Last edited:
Reactions: ladysarah
Thanks for your expertise, Docride! It doesn’t appear to be deep but can see that the leather is slightly elevated in the scraped area, almost like little cuts.

I will take it to the store to see what they can do. I [emoji1317] something can be done!!! Will keep you updated!!