Docride's Hermes Lazarus Thread (can this Hermes be Saved? )

Hi Doc! Im interested in purchasing a K25 Vache Natural that has alot of water spots all over. I know from reading the vintage bag nightmares thread that vache natural can be made to patina with a mixture of leather products (i had read the blackrocks and obenauf steps but i think you maybe no longer recommend?). Based on the water damage do you think it could take me over half a year to mask the water spots with the patina process steps and allowing time for the bag to rest in-between treating? I am ok with bringing on the patina but if it will never disgiuse the waterspots then perhaps it isnt worth my trouble purchasing.

Thank you in advance!IMG_20180118_153409.jpgIMG_20180118_153418.jpg

Hi Doc! Im interested in purchasing a K25 Vache Natural that has alot of water spots all over. I know from reading the vintage bag nightmares thread that vache natural can be made to patina with a mixture of leather products (i had read the blackrocks and obenauf steps but i think you maybe no longer recommend?). Based on the water damage do you think it could take me over half a year to mask the water spots with the patina process steps and allowing time for the bag to rest in-between treating? I am ok with bringing on the patina but if it will never disgiuse the waterspots then perhaps it isnt worth my trouble purchasing.

Thank you in advance!View attachment 3937782View attachment 3937783
Hi, If they are water spots, sometimes they can be made less glaring by making the rest of the bag as dark as the spots, but there is no telling if the bag will be even afterwards, I think it would be a varied well patina-ed bag darker in color after pushing the patina with products, probably not a uniform color.
All the best,doc

Reactions: PurseOnFleek
Hi, If they are water spots, sometimes they can be made less glaring by making the rest of the bag as dark as the spots, but there is no telling if the bag will be even afterwards, I think it would be a varied well patina-ed bag darker in color after pushing the patina with products, probably not a uniform color.
All the best,doc
Thanks doc. I understand your point makes alot of sense that the result would be a varied patina . Think for their asking price it isnt worth the chance of possibly being unhappy with the results.
Thanks again.

Hi doc!

I am looking into purchasing this vintage kelly and I am seeing what appears to be oil marks?
Leather is courchevel (old epsom) - do you think this bag is savable? Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

600x450-2018013100523.jpg 600x897-2018013100521.jpg

Hi doc!

I am looking into purchasing this vintage kelly and I am seeing what appears to be oil marks?
Leather is courchevel (old epsom) - do you think this bag is savable? Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

View attachment 3965117 View attachment 3965118

Hello there,

From here it looks like a serious stain
However I can’t say it looks like an oil stain from the photos though... I’m thinking that’s it’s not going to just clean off or even lighten with degreaser
Looks like stain that’s going to stay imo
I can’t say how deep it
is possibly it could be burnished off with an abrasive by a professional and the covered with color touch up ?

All the best doc

Hi doc! I've been offered this really beat up birkin. I was wondering if it's even repairable and if it will be really costly?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 551
Hi doc! I've been offered this really beat up birkin. I was wondering if it's even repairable and if it will be really costly?

Thanks!
I love it! It has character!
It looks repairable to me. I wouldn't expect it to look brand new... but depending upon where you bring it it may look quite good or just fair . I've personally restored bags in this sort of shape and gotten quite good results.
As for price...Each shop charges differently ... Personally I would set aside about 375 to 500 and try not go over .
I hope this helps?
All the best,doc

I love it! It has character!
It looks repairable to me. I wouldn't expect it to look brand new... but depending upon where you bring it it may look quite good or just fair . I've personally restored bags in this sort of shape and gotten quite good results.
As for price...Each shop charges differently ... Personally I would set aside about 375 to 500 and try not go over .
I hope this helps?
All the best,doc

Thank you so much for your insight!

Hi Doc. I am considering 'adopting' this Birkin and am not sure (1) if it can be rescued by you (I have no DIY aspirations although I so admire everyone on this thread and others who does!) and (2) whether this Barenia or VN? Or something else entirely...(I was not able to upload the images so they are -- hopefully -- attached)

Thank you! C.

Attachments

• 4 DocRide.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Hi docride, I was looking at your other thread on leather care but didn't seem to see what could be used to clean and condition barenia. Saw in older posts that lexol wipes, Hermes saddle soap could be used to clean and saddle balm to condition, are they still recommended? Are there any alternatives in case I can't get hold of them? Thanks very much for sharing your expertise in these forums :flowers:

Hi docride, I was looking at your other thread on leather care but didn't seem to see what could be used to clean and condition barenia. Saw in older posts that lexol wipes, Hermes saddle soap could be used to clean and saddle balm to condition, are they still recommended? Are there any alternatives in case I can't get hold of them? Thanks very much for sharing your expertise in these forums :flowers:

Yes it’s there in the care thread
:smile: I deliberately did not include some treatments because one if they are my own line of products they will be deleted or I’ll be deleted from the forum and because I didn’t want folks to get into trouble using. Products which are Difficult to control the outcome with
You can still use those products you mentioned at your own risk although I am not recommending most of them .
All the best doc

Last edited:
Yes it’s there in the care thread
:smile: I deliberately did not include some treatments because one if they are my own line of products they will be deleted or I’ll be deleted from the forum and because I didn’t want folks to get into trouble using. Products which are Difficult to control the outcome with
You can still use those products you mentioned at your own risk although I am not recommending most of them .
All the best doc

Hi docride, sorry but what I meant was for example vache and finished leathers has some specific products mentioned for cleaning/weather protection/conditioning but barenia doesn't, the only mention to use saphir for greasy leather if it is very pale and dry. Was hoping to know what are the products for general cleaning and conditioning in case I have some already e.g meltonian cleaner. But I will keep your line of products in mind as well :smile: