Docride's Hermes Lazarus Thread (can this Hermes be Saved? )

Hi Doc, I have just purchased this 26 year old Fauve Barenia Evelyne for my DD. The marks are a part of the bag's history and the patina is stunning, but I'm wondering if one of the Luxury Again Spa Kits might help this larger stain on the bottom of the Evelyne blend in? Over all the leather appears to be in good condition for its age. Which kit would be best for an overall cleaning/conditioning?

IMG_1106.JPG

Hi Docride,

I’m so happy to see you in a new thread^^

I’ve always wanted a box Kelly but had no luck at my local store. So I pulled the trigger and got one online from a reputable company.

However, when I received the bag today, I figured out it was a repainted bag (seller didn’t say anything about the paint). I first found a tiny paint on hardware which I can scratch off by nail easily. Then after I wiped the entire bag with a piece of paper towel, the paper towel got colored (please find the pic attached). The logo was not that clear as you can see in the pic, and the color on some parts of the bag were faded (especially on the back side).

My questions are:
1. Will the bag faded more (such as more fading spot by robbing against clothes)?

2. What I can expect in the future? Such as dry leather underneath the paint may cause cracking (they’re creasing in straps)? Or I do need to repaint the bag when the bag faded too much?

3. If I keep the bag, what leather care products should I use on it (to clean, moisturize, and prevent color fading)

4. Is there anything else should I check on this bag that may help me decide to keep it or not?

Thank you so much for your time and help. Hope you have a wonderful day!View attachment 3850553View attachment 3850555View attachment 3850556View attachment 3850557View attachment 3850558
Hi there,
Is that Hermes Noisette? That particular color has given many of us troubles in the past... You didn't use a baby wipe on it did you? Because the finish could certainly be worn away that severely on this color box calf with a baby wipe. Ok assuming that's not the problem ... if you used a dry paper towel and wiped the bag then its probably colored polish... colored polish I do not recommend ever using on a handbag with very few exceptions to that rule.
So how about you tell me a bit more?
If the bag is covered in something which wipes off that easily .. then it might be time to take the bag to a professional who can remove the polish or unstable color and then you can see what is underneath. You might need to have the whole bag recolored. What a shame you weren't able to send this bag back as not as described?
Tell me more.. all the best,doc

Hi Doc, I have just purchased this 26 year old Fauve Barenia Evelyne for my DD. The marks are a part of the bag's history and the patina is stunning, but I'm wondering if one of the Luxury Again Spa Kits might help this larger stain on the bottom of the Evelyne blend in? Over all the leather appears to be in good condition for its age. Which kit would be best for an overall cleaning/conditioning?

View attachment 3850898

Hi there,
What a cool Barenia color...that bag looks very dry ...I can not comment upon that brand here Im sorry its aganst TPF rues. Suffice to say deep cleaning might help but with a dark set in stain on barenia your best bet is to darken the leather with conditioners so that perhaps the surrounding leather will darken enough to make the dark stain less noticeable
do keep in mind that conditioners which darken barenia will also make it softer, floppy and possibly stretchy...So, go slow and treat lightly check to see results let the leather rest over night and then repeat....allowing the conditions ad oils time to dissipate.
all the best doc

Hi there,
What a cool Barenia color...that bag looks very dry ...I can not comment upon that brand here Im sorry its aganst TPF rues. Suffice to say deep cleaning might help but with a dark set in stain on barenia your best bet is to darken the leather with conditioners so that perhaps the surrounding leather will darken enough to make the dark stain less noticeable
do keep in mind that conditioners which darken barenia will also make it softer, floppy and possibly stretchy...So, go slow and treat lightly check to see results let the leather rest over night and then repeat....allowing the conditions ad oils time to dissipate.
all the best doc
Thanks Doc, I appreciate your comments.

Hi there,
Is that Hermes Noisette? That particular color has given many of us troubles in the past... You didn't use a baby wipe on it did you? Because the finish could certainly be worn away that severely on this color box calf with a baby wipe. Ok assuming that's not the problem ... if you used a dry paper towel and wiped the bag then its probably colored polish... colored polish I do not recommend ever using on a handbag with very few exceptions to that rule.
So how about you tell me a bit more?
If the bag is covered in something which wipes off that easily .. then it might be time to take the bag to a professional who can remove the polish or unstable color and then you can see what is underneath. You might need to have the whole bag recolored. What a shame you weren't able to send this bag back as not as described?
Tell me more.. all the best,doc

Hi doc,

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes it’s Noisette. I should do more homework before purchasing. I didn’t use baby wipe on it since I read your previous post carefully. I contact the seller today and finally I’m allowed to send the bag back due to the unclear introduction. What a relief[emoji28]

It’s my first time buying an used bag. Now I’m afraid to do so in the future. I really love box Kelly, and hope I can score one from store. Thank you for your time and have a beautiful day.

Hi doc,

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes it’s Noisette. I should do more homework before purchasing. I didn’t use baby wipe on it since I read your previous post carefully. I contact the seller today and finally I’m allowed to send the bag back due to the unclear introduction. What a relief[emoji28]

It’s my first time buying an used bag. Now I’m afraid to do so in the future. I really love box Kelly, and hope I can score one from store. Thank you for your time and have a beautiful day.

Wow Im so glad you were able to return it! Whew! There are some wonderful Hermes Box Calf bags out there to choose from in the pre-owned market, You'll have better luck there than waiting for box calf from the Boutique I hear they aren't producing many Box Calf bags these days. if you see a pre-owned bag and you aren't sure if its in good shape or just want some help.. come on back and i'll do my best to help. :smile:
All the best,doc

IMG_1106.JPG IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0200.JPG Doc- Two months ago I purchased a Vintage Barenia Kelly, which I shared in the Clubhouse Thread. A Barenia Leather Spa care kit was thoughtfully provided with the bag. I used the cleaner and conditioner from the kit on this 26 year old Barenia Evelyne that I purchased this past week for my DD. The before picture is taken from the listing for the bag and the two follow up pictures show the same spot following one cleaning/conditioning application of the Spa products. I was not concerned about the stain being eradicated, such things are part of the beauty of Barenia, with its patina and "history". I am very pleased with the results. Depending on the light it blends in as shown in the third picture.

Thank you, could not have done this without you!

View attachment 3855678 View attachment 3855679 View attachment 3855682 Doc- Two months ago I purchased a Vintage Barenia Kelly, which I shared in the Clubhouse Thread. A Barenia Leather Spa care kit was thoughtfully provided with the bag. I used the cleaner and conditioner from the kit on this 26 year old Barenia Evelyne that I purchased this past week for my DD. The before picture is taken from the listing for the bag and the two follow up pictures show the same spot following one cleaning/conditioning application of the Spa products. I was not concerned about the stain being eradicated, such things are part of the beauty of Barenia, with its patina and "history". I am very pleased with the results. Depending on the light it blends in as shown in the third picture.

Thank you, could not have done this without you!
Wow looks beautiful great job!
All the best,doc

Wow Im so glad you were able to return it! Whew! There are some wonderful Hermes Box Calf bags out there to choose from in the pre-owned market, You'll have better luck there than waiting for box calf from the Boutique I hear they aren't producing many Box Calf bags these days. if you see a pre-owned bag and you aren't sure if its in good shape or just want some help.. come on back and i'll do my best to help. :smile:
All the best,doc

Thank you so much for your kind comments doc[emoji1] I’ll keep looking for one in the future. Hope you have a great day!

Hello Doc,

I am interested to purchase this Epsom birkin, is the corner fixable ? Can I do it myself ?

Look forward for your expert advise. Many thanks in advance.

View attachment 3863675
View attachment 3863676View attachment 3863677
View attachment 3863678

Hi there,
Its very pretty. The corners can certainly be touched up. If you can do it yourself has everything to do with your ability to mix a perfect color match (this isn't so easy) and your keen eyes and artistic ability.
Love the color! Good Luck :smile:
doc

Hi there,
Its very pretty. The corners can certainly be touched up. If you can do it yourself has everything to do with your ability to mix a perfect color match (this isn't so easy) and your keen eyes and artistic ability.
Love the color! Good Luck :smile:
doc

Doc,

Thanks for your respond. If I touched it up, will hermes refused to take the bag for service in the future ? Should I touch up by a paint brush or use a cotton butt to buff the color on ? Any brand of the color leather conditioner you may recommended ?

Many thanks

Doc,

Thanks for your respond. If I touched it up, will hermes refused to take the bag for service in the future ? Should I touch up by a paint brush or use a cotton butt to buff the color on ? Any brand of the color leather conditioner you may recommended ?

Many thanks

Doc, don’t worry about it. The bag sold to someone else. I read about your touch up kit on eBay. I wonder if hermes still accept the bag for spa after my self touch up ?

Doc, don’t worry about it. The bag sold to someone else. I read about your touch up kit on eBay. I wonder if hermes still accept the bag for spa after my self touch up ?
Hi there ChloeSS
I can’t discuss any of my own products here it’s against TPF rules thank you for understanding
Regarding Hermes accepting your bag for spa after you do a touch up
They could refuse it it’s up to them
Personally a small corner touch up is probably going to wear off with time anyhow and you could always just remove it before sending it in. I do not encourage full bag color work or complete bag color change of course those would be definite non acceptance reasons. Use your good sense
And always err on the side of conservative conservation or restoration in the right hands these can be done to beautiful effect.
I hope that helps?
All the best doc

Reactions: ukonvasara