Docride's Hermes leather care recommendations list no chatter

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
Hello everyone
Because this will help me help you to help yourselves
I'm going to compile my recommendations for the care and upkeep of various Hermes leather and exotics skins
I ask that this will become a guide and sticky to help all everyone
so please no questions , posts or statements here
Thank you for your paitence as I work on this
My opinions are not the end all be all for leather upkeep of course and I will not name every product made (nor every product used by professionals)
This is being put together to help non professional folks make informed choices using easy to use fool proof type products rather than ones that may have pitfalls and get them into trouble
Certainly if you have been using some product not mentioned here with success continue doing so
Sincerely, docride

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
These Brands / Companies make wonderful products and you can usually find what you need for your leather type

Docride Rule> Always test a small hidden area before treating larger areas. (smiles)

Also please note ; I do NOT endorse using COLORED wax or Colored cream polishes on Handbags as they can slip off on hands and clothing.

Brand Saphir
renovatour
reptain
lotion universal
greasy leather cream
neutral cream polish
Cleaning soap
Nappa
Reno mat
polish neutral

Brand Meltonian
Cream Delicate
All purpose cleaner conditioner
neutral polish

Brand Woly
Perfect gel cleaner
Gum cleaner
Polish neutral
Natural leather and Suede Cleaner

Brand Kelly
Neutral Polish

Brand Angelus
Suede and leather color dyes
Suede cleaner

Brand Tarrago
Cream polish Neutral
Leather Color dyes

There are of course many other brands and products out there and i may continue to add to this liist but these are some of my favorite brands and their products.

Ive decided NOT to include here certain products which I may have recommended in the past or have recommended for specific issues or leather types; because I feel they may get readers in to trouble due to their ease

Additionally you can also find full restoration handbag spa kits for sale which will address any number of concerns... such as general up keep ,cracks, smells color loss conditioning weather protection and moldly or mothball problems just Google Luxury Hand Bag Spa Kit

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
Barenia care and emergencies

Spills>>>Barenia can be washed down quickly with a wash cloth and clean cool water if its spilled on by a swwt drink or coffee or even wine be quick about it because sugar can leave a serious stain and hrt the internal fibers

Tarnish marks from hardware > gently remove with a soft pink eraser

Greasy dark handles > De-greaser can be used with care make sure to go slowly and don't get it in on areas you don't want lightened.

Worn away corners > Leave them alone Never use colored polish or leather paint touch ups on this leather

Scratches > Please do NOT spit on a finger and rub the scratches. A little rub with a dry non greasy finger can help.. if not then A light conditioner on a wipe can help blend them back in to the patina always condition the whole bag lightly rater than spot correcting

NEVER use baby wipes on barenia

Barenia looks very pale and dry> this is rare and is not something to do often or with out a clue as too much conditioners can make this leather overly soft and floppy . Saphir for greasy leather (neutral only)

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
Hermes Ostrich skin up keep care and emergencies

Spills>>>Ostrich can be washed down quickly with a wash cloth and clean cool water if its spilled on by a sweet drink or saltly soup or coffee or even wine be quick about it because sugar can leave a serious stain and hurt the internal fibers think about how sugar and salt will crystalize when they are without a solvent like water. Yikes!

Greasy dark handles > De-greaser can be used with care make sure to go slowly and don't get it in on areas you don't want lightened.

Worn away corners > Carefully applied leather color pigments or paint touch ups can be used on this leather > Tarrago, Angelus...etc

Scratches > A light conditioner on a wipe can help blend them back in to the patina always condition the whole bag lightly rater than spot correcting

NEVER use baby wipes on ostrich

Ostrich which looks very pale, dull and dry> a nice conditioner can be used> Meltonian all purpose,saphir universal (carefully test it)and a number of others work nicely.
Color Zoning > Often seen as sunlight bleaching and original color is noted as darker noticed under straps and flaps.. Please note this is not a do it yourself correctable project often nothing can be done except to live with it or dye the bag darker.

Not shiny> Do NOT use waxy or creamy polishes on this leather/skin. Just a nice conditioning followed by a buffing can help bring up a sheen

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
Pen Marks and clothing color transfers these can often be fixed if handled in the first hour of the mark.. time is of the esesence!
For everyone with finished leather I recommend having an ink and color transfer emergency kit on hand. There are various companies which have Pen make and Color transfer emergency kits, Ink Killers, and so on.. Google
Some have had success with using gel cuticle remover for ball point ink marks... and hair spray and such... I say get a kit make for leather hand bags and find out if its recommended or rated. also try it out with some scrap leather and see how it works before being under press in the case of a real emergency.

The main take home points

Ball point ink strikes and clothing color transfers can often be fixed if handled in first hours

If the Ink sets and migrates through your leather's surface finish and into the leather below then you are pretty much finished in being able to get the stain out without having to do color work to cover the problem and will require a professional

Sharpie and indelible type inks wont come off even with ink killers ... they are a disaster...

wash your clothing in vinegar and salt to keep the color transfer from happening in the first place (Ill see if I can find a link for this)

You wont get ink out of Unfinished and semi finished and greasy type leathers and skins such as Barenia,Dolbis suede,Ever calf suede,veau sombreo,veau bride,vache natrual,ostrich ,vache espace, usually this applies to swift,gulliver and everygrain veau tadelack.

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
HOW TO STORE YOUR HERMES BAG ?

Best bet is to keep it stuffed with acid free tissue paper to help the bag hold its shape , there are a number of nice companies which make pillows to go inside ( Bag A Vie, etc ) (I don like the blow up plastic types) or use a handbag inserts (Mai Tia, Samorga, Divide and Concur, etc ) which helps keep your bags shape .

Keep the bag's closure straps or zippers done up in the closed position.

Put the bag inside a soft clean breathable dust cover (the Hermes dust bags are perfect but any nice fabric cover can work)
Lay the bag on its back rather than standing up.

Place them in such away they don't get squashed (keeping them in their Hermes box works well) , don't place other bags on top of them

Store your bags away from excessive heat, cold, wet or damp or excessively dry conditions

Keep them in a well ventilated area, especially if you are in a damp or humid climate .
I like keeping some moisture absorbing packs/ desiccant packs inside the bags and in the storage area.

Take the lock, strap or any removable hardware off of the bags for long storage as they can tarnish and leave tarnish stains on the bag.

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
To protect the beauty and value of your beautiful Hermes bag
DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING:

Hang the metal lock from the turn lock or have it swinging loose from the tirrette it can cut the leather into arch pattern (leather or exotic skin covered locks are usually ok)

Spray perfume into or on to your bag.... this is very difficult to remove Also be careful of spraying perfume on to yourself with your bag
near by...

Let your pets use them as toys or bathrooms

Use baby wipes to clean them it can remove the finish of your bag!

Let mean and or jealous people near your bag with a sharpie pen upload_2017-9-25_16-35-21.jpeg if you like them and they like you then its ok

Keep them in a lighted display case or window unless you want color fade and zoning

Let some company treat your bag with a spray on plastic coating to try and keep it looking new forever eek the leather will dry out below and it will look like heck guaranteed in a couple of years down the road

Use products made for human skin on your bags like sun block or tanning lotion, face or hand cream

OCD care cleaning or conditioning too often can remove the bag's finish and can overly soften it leading to losing its shape and stretching out. Yes cleaning or conditioning with a product every day is way too much, a simple wipe down with soft dry clean cloth will suffice most days after use unless you had a spill or greasy or sticky stuff on the handles then clean it of course

Placing your bag on top of your car while multi tasking and driving off with your bag on top of your car ... yes this has happened!

Leaving the plastic on the hardware ... this can lead to pitting when moisture sneaks up undeneath

Bring your bag to the hair salon where it can get spilled on with hair dye! do yourself a favor and bring a plastic bag to cover it or leave it at home!

refuse to do basic up keep or send it to the pros for general spa services at least every few years

Send your bag to have it sprayed with leather paint to change the color because you are bored with the orginal

And im sure there are more....

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
Vache natural, Vache Bride, Vache Espace care and emergencies

Spills>>> can be washed down quickly with a wash cloth and clean cool water if its spilled on by a sweet drink or coffee or even wine be quick about it because sugar can leave a serious stain and hrt the internal fibers ( you will want to wipe down the whole bag not just the area where the spill happened. Colored liquids will most likely stain it permanently.. teat with a stain and weather guard treatment before an accident happens

Worn away corners > Leave them alone Never use colored polish or leather paint touch ups on this leather

Scratches > Please do NOT spit on a finger and rub the scratches. A little rub with a dry non greasy finger can help.. if not then A light conditioner on a wipe can help blend them back in to the patina always condition the whole bag lightly rater than spot correcting

NEVER use baby wipes

Water and weather and stain prevention / protection> ( some of these can alter the color but they can give real protection if used often) LA Weather and Stain shield,Hermes saddle baume, Aqua Seal, Obenauf's LP,Fiebings Aussie, Snow Seal,Saphir water repellent etc,, google for other options always teat a small hidden area first before treating your whole bag. Normally I say absolutely no silicone but some silicone particularly on this leather may really help prevent stains... personally I prefer not to use silicone and push the patina with multiple thin treatments alternating between waxy and oily type products

Cleaning and Condition well and often these products all can work on these leathers, meltonian All Purpose,Lexol PH cleaner,Saphir universal, Other leather cleaners google and always test a small hidden area first.

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
The Finished Leathers> Togo, Clemence,Fjord,(including chevre,) epsom veau corchevel,veau graine, veau grain lisse, veau ligee,

spills>>> can be washed down quickly with soft damp with clean cool water wash cloth

Color loss on handles > Handles can be touched up with color restorers or leather paints such as made by Tarrago or Angelus, Esquire, Etc..

Worn away color on corners > You can use color restoration touch ups on these leather types, some brands Tarrago or Angelus, Esquire, Etc..

Scratches > light conditioner on a wipe can help blend them back in to the patina always condition the whole bag lightly rater than spot correcting if they are deeper then some color touch may be required if the problem is out in the middle of a panel it is recomened to seek a professional to handle the problem.

NEVER use baby wipes these can break down the finish on your bags surface

Water and weather prevention / protection> actually these leathers can get water damage....always wipe them down right away if they get wet and never allow water to sit on them for extended periods of time( they can use real protection if used often in weather) Luxury Weather and Stain shield, Aqua Seal, etc DO NOT USE Heavy Waxy or OIl Products on these leathers NO Mink Oil ,No Obenaufs',No Neatsfoot oil, NO Hermes saddle baume,NO Blackrocks,,, google for other brand options always teat a small hidden area first before treating your whole bag. Normally I say absolutely no silicone but some silicone particularly on this leather may really help prevent stains... personally I prefer not to use silicone but some of these products

Color transfer protection> often a weather protection treatment can help Google for protecting creams or lotions

Cleaning> these leathers can benefit from a light wipe down with a soft clean cloth after use before putting them away. A simply damp clean soft wash cloth can be used to gently remove light surface impurities... Using leather cleansing wipes or gentle leather cleaning products are good if the bag is actually very dirty.. dont get crazy rubbing and scrubbing if it does'nt get a dirty looking mark to move then its probably a stain or color loss.. get some help professionally if you end up with such a problem.

Conditioning> These are modern tanned leathers and never require heavy conditioners (avoid heavy waxy or oily type products on these leathers as they can break down the finish) , Meltonian All Purpose and Other light lotion type leather conditioners work best just google and search and always test a small hidden area first.DO NOT USE Heavy Waxy or OIly Products on these leathers NO Mink Oil ,No Obenaufs',No Neatsfoot oil, NO Hermes saddle baume,NO Blackrocks

http://docridesluxuryagain.blogspot.com/
Happy trails 2 U !

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
Suede, Ever Calf, Veau Doblis

Sueded type leathers

Wear and scratches> When they wear away the corners they are always going to look bald and smooth on those areas...

Color fade and Zoning > Quite common not fixable ...unless the bag is dyed darker go to a professional or try Angelus suede dyes, there are other suede dyes Fiebings ,Kelly, etc

Cleaning > Fuzzies and dust can be removed with a sticky lint roller or masking tape , use foaming suede cleaner , or other cleaner specifically for seude

Greasy handles > Use a leather degreaser ... it can be quite messy brands that carry are Mohawk, Leather World Tech,Luxury Again , etc. Use a non metal suede brush with short teeth.. or a soft tooth brush to help bring up the nap.

Do NOT any products not approved of for suede

Weather protection > If you must... but not recommended . Some products can work nicely but will not make the bag able to go scuba diving; suede is porous , the misting / spray on type weather protection products would be the best option do TEST A SMALL HIDDEN AREA FIRST try Saphir,but its nasty to smell so use only outside ...

Reactions: TresBeauHermes

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
Box Calf, Box Napal, Charmonix,

Spills>>> can be wiped down quickly with a soft dry wash cloth and followed with a leather cleansing wipe or even a damp wash cloth, take care to remove any excess water.

Color Loss or discoloration to handles > Handles can be recolored and touched up with leather restoring paints or dyes.. if your feel comfortable with mixing a color match that is otherwise send the bag to a professional , some brands which make touch up colors include, Tarrago, Angelus,Saphir ,Luxury Again,Saphir, Woly,Kelly,Esquire

Worn away corners or color loss to corners > You can use touch up colors or leather paint touch ups on this leather if your feel comfortable with mixing a color match that is otherwise send the bag to a professional , some brands which make touch up colors include, Tarrago, Angelus,Saphir ,Luxury Again,Saphir, Woly,kelly, Esquire

Scratches > A light conditioner ( brands I like are Meltonian ,Saphir,Tarrago,Woly,Kelly, Luxury Again ,etc) on a wipe can help blend them back in to the patina always condition the whole bag lightly rater than spot correcting, then treat the bag to a nice neutral polish and buff.. eventually all those light scratches will blend back into the patina...deeper scratches which are more like cuts, may be helped by a professional who can add filler if needed. Neutral polishes are uncolored, brands I like are Saphir, Lincoln, Griffen,Kelly, Woly, Tarrago,

NEVER use baby wipes these can remove the finish.

Water,weather and water blister prevention / protection> I do not recommend Black Rocks or Obenauf's LP any longer as too many people were having trouble using these products, (if you have been using them with sucess then super, carry on) Brands I prefer are Aqua Seal, Luxury Again weather, Saphir water repellent etc,, google for other options always test a small hidden area first before treating your whole bag. Normally I say absolutely no silicone but some silicone particularly on this leather may really help prevent stains... personally I prefer not to use silicone and push the patina with multiple thin treatments of neutral polishes...Griffen, Saphir,Lincoln,Woly, Tarrago etc...

Conditioning cautions> Take care when using conditioners, the very greasy type conditioners must be used sparingly as a heavy hand can remove the finish and lead to color change and blotchiness, as well as weakening old stitches, because like disolves like oils can dissolve the bees wax on the stitches. Saphir Renovator is a nice product but has a very high oil content, Also avoid mink oil type products or neatsfoot oil, or Hermes saddle baume or oil, Anyhow those oily type conditioners can be tricky and so unless you are very confident I would avoid these and leave these oily products to the professionals.

Conditioners> I like best for Box Calf ,Veau Charmonix, and Box Napal, are creamy light and lotion type conditioners rather than heavy waxy or oily ones. Saphir Universal, Meltonian Baulm, CPR, Luxury Again, Woly, Cadillac,etc... always test a small hidden area first and make sure you like the results before going over the whole bag!

Removing polish> Although a Box Calf bag may look beautiful and shiny it might not be healthy underneath the polish, I recommend removing old polish and conditioning your Box Calf,Box Napal and Charmonix at least every 2 years. A great product for removing old polish is Saphir Reno Mat, Other products less harsh which work nicely are most the creamy conditioners,( because like dissolves like)

Why we should do up keep to protect our beautiful Heritage leathers like Box Calf,Box Napal,Veau Charonix, > The surface Cracks and textured rippled finish result from the leather shrinking due to the leather drying out.. having lost much of the internal conditions, fat liquors, oils etc. To keep these leathers looking their best and performing for generations learn to do some basic upkeep or send your bags to Hermes spa every few years.

The Nice thing about Box Calf Veau Charmonix and Box Napal is that with care these leathers can last generations and they also tend to be the leather which restore the best! I love them and I hope you do or will to!

HJoo

Sep 19, 2013
Does anyone have any recs for products to use on evergrain? creams or whatever? TIA

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
  1. The Finished Leathers> Swift, Veau Gullier, Ever grain, togo clemence Fjord veau courchevel epsom buffalo etc...

2. spills>>> can be washed down quickly with soft damp with clean cool water wash cloth damp only

Color loss on handles > Handles can be touched up with color restorers or leather paints such as made by Tarrago or Angelus, Esquire, Etc..

Worn away color on corners > You can use color restoration touch ups on these leather types, some brands Tarrago or Angelus, Esquire, Etc..

Scratches > light conditioner on a wipe can help blend them back in to the patina always condition the whole bag lightly rater than spot correcting if they are deeper then some color touch may be required if the problem is out in the middle of a panel it is recommended to seek a professional to handle the problem.

NEVER use baby wipes these can break down the finish on your bags surface

Water and weather prevention / protection> actually these leathers can get water damage....always wipe them down right away if they get wet and never allow water to sit on them for extended periods of time( they can use real protection if used often in weather) Luxury Weather and Stain shield, Aqua Seal, etc DO NOT USE Heavy Waxy or OIl Products on these leathers NO Mink Oil ,No Obenaufs',No Neatsfoot oil, NO Hermes saddle baume,NO Blackrocks,,, google for other brand options always teat a small hidden area first before treating your whole bag. Normally I say absolutely no silicone but some silicone particularly on this leather may really help prevent stains... personally I prefer not to use silicone but some of these products

Color transfer protection> often a weather protection treatment can help Google for protecting creams or lotions

Cleaning> these leathers can benefit from a light wipe down with a soft clean cloth after use before putting them away. A simply damp clean soft wash cloth can be used to gently remove light surface impurities... Using leather cleansing wipes or gentle leather cleaning products are good if the bag is actually very dirty.. dont get crazy rubbing and scrubbing if it does'nt get a dirty looking mark to move then its probably a stain or color loss.. get some help professionally if you end up with such a problem.

Conditioning> These are modern tanned leathers and never require heavy conditioners (avoid heavy waxy or oily type products on these leathers as they can break down the finish) , Meltonian All Purpose and Other light lotion type leather conditioners work best just google and search and always test a small hidden area first.DO NOT USE Heavy Waxy or OIly Products on these leathers NO Mink Oil ,No Obenaufs',No Neatsfoot oil, NO Hermes saddle baume,NO Blackrocks

docride

Vache Vixen
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
AB Ranch Montana USA
Finished leathers have a colored or clear top coat on them or many top coats so most all of the Hermes leathers you are familiar with fall this group
toogo clemence fjord buffalo evergrain box calf epsom veau courchevel etc...

Suede has a nap and is the split or flesh side of the hide

Semi-finished leathers are in between and have a lighter top coat that
sometimes wears away an example is Vache Natural

Unfinished leathers are naked (they have no top coating) an example is barenia

Jbizzybeetle

Oct 14, 2018
Hi!
Where does Sikkum fit in the care recommendations?
With graphics and color wash on the leather—as with my avatar DS?

thank you, Jb