Docfinder vs doing things yourself?

Docfinder, SeoulTouchUp, MySeoulSecret, Boutique whatever the name is are all commission based. It's proven so why are we bringing this issue up again and again. And you've been on this forum since 2014 you should have known.

All are pure speculation and not one person have provided proof of any kind. I am not saying they couldn't be, I am saying that we don't really know for certain as we don't work for one so we don't really know how their business works.

But either way for one thing, they are never "free". Their cost of operations will always come from somewhere (most times from the customer's pocket) and having someone guide you will always have biases/self interest mixed in.

How do you know which clinics to go to? Please do your own research! This is your face and you cannot rely wholly on other people's recommendations or reviews. And take reviews with a grain of salt, know that it is their personal experience and everyone will have different experiences even if its with the exact same doctor at the exact same hospital. A lot of the clinics sprouted here are the same ones over and over again--no doubt that's due to promoters and services like DocFinder.

Look at the credentials of the doctor. Ask about his/her experience in the field--how many surgeries he/she has performed, how many patients come back for revisions after their primary surgeries, rate of satisfaction, ask about techniques and why they use this instead of that, etc. As others have said, before and after photos can be altered to look amazing and some are even quite obviously photoshopped. Just because a clinic is small and unknown doesn't mean they lack expertise and the same vice versa.

Of course you want to find the "right" doctor at the "right" clinic--that's totally understandable and I feel you. I thought I chose the right doctor but that ended up not being true. I thought I could trust my doctor, he was warm, kind, confident and seemed trustworthy. I was so glad to have found a doctor that made me this comfortable! But my surgeries were a mess and I will say, he did not have the basic skill set needed for a surgery as supposedly easy as non-incisional DES. What's my point in saying this? Yes, you should go with a surgeon who makes you feel comfortable but also realize that a person's ability to make you feel at ease does not correlate with their surgical skills.

If you want to have surgery and not have to come back for a revisional surgery, I can't advise this enough. Go to as many clinics as you can. There are rows upon rows of PS clinics all over Gangnam, Sinsa, Cheongdam, Apgujeong. If you don't have enough time to visit at least 4 clinics, don't be surprised if you end up needing another surgery to correct your primary surgery. It's honestly not a waste to invest your time and energy to comb through different clinics. It will only save your *** in the long run.

Last edited:
The prices that DF quoted was about right. You will get almost the same if not the same quotes going to the clinics direct. I knew because I've been there done last December. DF doesn't charge anything to the patient, yet takes care of all the logistics for you. They had been extremely useful for me since I didn't have to worry about traveling to-fro the clinic, airport pickup, appointments, changing doc., etc. DF also helped with bargaining, grocery shopping. It helps to have someone on your side, so to me, it's a clear cut case of why not.

Hey Valenrina, I am planning to use DF and go to Jw for my double eyelid. Did u go to Jw?? :smile:

ummmmmmmm those are reallly inflated prices lol. If the extra services is what you want there are many other agencies which will offer you a much better price with all those services included.

So if you are someone who feels you need the help while in Korea, use another agency, especially one that is more specialized and not refering to those same clinics regardless of the procedures. I say this because you should pick your surgeon based on his specialization and not the clinic name.

Could you recommend some? Whenever I try to look for reputable alternatives, I always end up on SeoulTouchUp and/or DocFinder, which, according to most more experienced beauty travelers, are... less than ideal.

It would be great to see some favorable alternatives since they do apparently exist! :smile:

I initially signed up with docfinder. It means you give your passport details and that means you cannot approach the clinics independently if you choose not to go with docfinder. The quotes given are expressed as clinic A-D and you are right, you have to decide which clinic as they do not choose one of the 4 for you. Once you express a choice, you are told the names of the clinics, ie Banobagi, ID, JW and Cinderella and asked to make a deposit of $500 to secure surgery. It wasn't until I joined a kakao group in which a very organised kk member starting compiling PS quotes from clinics, that I realised how much more these big 4 were charging and I was surprised that the quotes suggested I needed everything from genioplasty, to angular reshaping, etc. I started emailing with another person from the UK who had used docfinder and she sent me a pic of her medical bill which was like 21 million won! In her opinion, she feels she paid too much through docfinder. I was fortunate to be able to fight to get my $500 deposit refunded in person after reading negative reviews of the clinic I had initially picked. It was an easy decision for me not to proceed with df after surgery quotes came in at 6 million won and the clinic I found on my own and finally went with charged 3 million won.

I remember hearing somewhere that DFK is funded in part by the Korean government because they facilitate medical tourism, but I can't find anything about it on their website. This probably would ease my concern about their possible interests in keeping close with a handful of clinics for good commissions or incentives. AFAIK they seem to be independent :^/

For someone like me who is transgendered I find the research process harder than for most because I have different needs to a cis woman. I need facial feminization which means a surgeon who has experience with turning a masculine male face into a soft female face. I also need open minded surgeon and their staff to know what gender disphoria is so I don't feel comfortable. I was looking into docfinder at first but seeing the higher prices I would have to pay and they don't seem to be experienced in what I need so I am still looking. I do not mind paying more if I know the person or company helping me is actually experienced with trans surgeries.

For someone like me who is transgendered I find the research process harder than for most because I have different needs to a cis woman. I need facial feminization which means a surgeon who has experience with turning a masculine male face into a soft female face. I also need open minded surgeon and their staff to know what gender disphoria is so I don't feel comfortable. I was looking into docfinder at first but seeing the higher prices I would have to pay and they don't seem to be experienced in what I need so I am still looking. I do not mind paying more if I know the person or company helping me is actually experienced with trans surgeries.

I would just go by your own facial features. I've seen women with masculine faces and men with feminine faces, it varies by the individual. Korean PS in general seems to be geared towards feminizing faces for both sexes as the smaller the face the better in Korea. If you just go by facial features, you'll see before/after pics of women with very strong (masculine) jawlines and chins that are made much smaller after surgery. I do agree though you definitely need a doc whose comfortable with working with the trans people. I never see Korean before/after pics for facial feminization, maybe it's a bit taboo Korea and they do it but just don't advertise it? I'd ask if they have such pics and if you could see them privately.

I have seen one before and after of a transgender woman from ID, she turned out really beautiful. But ID is blacklisted and known to be botch factory..

A lot of the surgery styles and outcomes in Korea tend to be quite feminine anyway. There are a lot of cases of Korean women with masculine jaws/bone structure who often get v-line and zygoma reduction to soften their masculine features and appear more feminine. I think there was also someone who posted in this thread about his experience with DF and posted a video. He wasn't of Asian descent, but his outcome was in keeping with Korea's "style" of PS and his face is now a lot softer and more feminine. I don't think you'll have too much of a problem finding a clinic to suit your needs. I haven't researched it much myself as I am not a male, but there are many clinics that are catered to and mainly deal with male clientele.

As long as you tell the doctor what you want and you both discuss what results are realistic for your current face structure I think you'll be fine :smile:

As I'm reading this thread I'm actually in the process of healing from my surgery at Banobagi... my mother and I feel that Docfinderkorea was pretty much useless when it came to helping us bargain for prices. In fact they didn't even do much for us.

I was in contact with this lady, Jennifer, for about 3 months prior to the surgeries, she explained to us and answered our queries. But the usefulness of DFK pretty much ended here...

To give you guys an idea about what surgeries my mum and I did after consultation with Dr Lee:

Mum: mid face lift and lift sagging eyelids
Me: nose fillers and fat graft on cheeks

Upon arrival in Seoul we were introduced to different people every day - there's not one person that helped us consistently throughout our stay here. Essentially we were passed around like a hot potato.

On our consultation and surgery day, we met a lady named Kwan who was nice enough and followed us... but did absolutely nothing to help us lower the price (we had multiple surgeries each). During the price negotiation my mum and I did all the talking to the staff (who spoke English so Kwan was quite redundant). She didn't help us negotiate for a lower price nor any free services etc.

After surgery, we were pretty much left to our own devices. A guy named Shin Park texted us occasionally from time to time but did nothing important.

About 5 days after surgery, my mum was fit enough so we moved to a guest house. Here's the funny part - we were suddenly contacted by and passed to a lady named Clovis whose entire job was to help us hail a taxi to our guest house. WTF, right?

Then as we were boarding this taxi, Shin Park appeared out of thin air and said, "Hi I am Shin Park" and shook my hand and I got into the cab.

So there goes our encounter with Mr Shin Elusive Park. I have met celebrities for a longer time than the impressive 3 seconds this guy showed up to introduce himself.

On the day we had to remove our stitches, Player 4 named Anna showed up at our guest house and took us to the clinic. Her job consisted of waiting with us to get our stitches cut out... Then dropped us off in a cab.

Here's another frustrating experience I had with the staff of DFK. After my mum got her stitches removed, she noticed that the operation line on her eyelids were crooked and even had some bubbles on the op line. It was quite worrying and we texted Anna to ask about this. She simply replied, "this is your mum's skin." ??!!!!????

My mum's eyelids certainly did NOT have any bubbles or bumps prior to the op, only some slight sagging. We'd expected her to say something like "Show me a picture and I'll send it to the nurse"... but her replies made us even more annoyed and frustrated as it was almost equivalent to her telling us "that's your own bloody problem".

She then suggested that we have laser treatment at the dermatologist @ Banobagi. I was really infuriated at this point as it made us feel like she was telling us to pay extra money at the dermatologist in order to get rid of a problem that surfaced due to the surgery.

At this point, we turned to Shin Park and explained our predicament regarding the worries we had about my mum's bubbly eyelids. Guess what. We got reprimanded by him! He replied, "Why didn't you ask it to us earlier if she is not happy with that?" (pasted exactly from my Whatsapp conversation with him).

Is that aggressive or what? I don't know about you, Mr Shin, but anybody would obviously be unhappy with a bubbly, bumpy operation line. How are we supposed to accurately judge the finished product before the stitches are removed?

Essentially we felt like we were quickly kicked to the curb once our operations were finished. Shin Park even told me to contact him if I had any more questions. No thank you, I think I'll get even more furious talking to you. I've seen some nice comments regarding a Mr Shin in this thread, but I don't know if it's the same Shin you guys are talking about. Maybe the one I talked to was his loony evil twin for all I know.

As for our surgery satisfaction with Banobagi, I'm fairly satisfied with my nose filler and fat graft on cheeks.

My mum, however, can't comment on her surgery outcome yet as she's still bruised and slightly swollen. Bumpy operation line aside, she is impressed that she didn't feel unbearable pain. However, she recalled hearing two sets of doctors' voices during her op, which worried her a little as she doesnt know if Dr Lee was the one who did the surgery.

As mentioned earlier, as I'm typing this I'm still in Seoul spending my last few vacation days here. All these encounters are very fresh in my mind. These are the dissatisfactions I have with DocFinderKorea. I feel that they're quite redundant and only served to hail taxis (seriously) and give non committal replies to our post surgery queries.

I'm also now in Seoul and having surgery done in banobagi one week ago. I will be going back my country few days later. I got help from docfinderkorea and they really done a good job. I had also met 3 staffs there, but they also try their best to take care of me . I'm pleased with their services.
Hi! Mind sharing your results at Banobagi? What you did? Are you pleased with the results? :smile: