Do you wear your designer bag to work/interviews?

I'm a teacher, and I have no qualms about carrying my expensive handbags to work. You don't like it. I. Do. Not. Care. My bag. My money. I don't go out to eat every night. I don't go to bars. We are here to work not critique each other on clothes, shoes, and handbags. I have no time for that. The only thing that I have precious time for is my job.

I remember a co-worker saying that she would spend $300-$400 on a pair of shoes. She wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on a bag. I said that I wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on something that walks on a filthy ground or floor and potentially have a kid throw up or pee on (trust me, it happens).

I always had better handbags, clothes, and shoes than my boss even though she wore slacks, suits, and button downs. She only wore lipstick and a little powder. You wouldn't think that she was an administrator. Spending a lot of money on those items wasn't her thing. However, she always had a nice car and big house. I thought that her big house was a waste of money because they were empty nesters. But, that's what she wanted to spend her money on. I never felt awkward with my nicer bags.
While your boss wore Michael Kors, mine wore some pleather bag that she picked up from Sears. What was I to wear, Wal-Mart?

I've been at my workplace for a little over two years now, and it is first now that I start wearing my high end bags (LV and Chanel) bags. I don't know why, but I haven't felt comfortable to do so before now.

I work in an all-woman workplace (an office) and all but one is very interested in fashion, althoug not bags. Only one of my collegues has a designer bag (MBMJ) and the rest wears Zara and Liebeskind and such. So I'm different there. They wear more expensive clothes than me though, but I don't find that obvious in the same way as a bag.

But since I started wearing my LV and Chanel bags, especially one of my colleagues have been admirering them, saying she loves the mono Speedy (didn't know the name [emoji1]) and would love to buy one. So we talked about buying pre-loved vs. new.

I do use a designer bag at the office, but I'm careful to always use something that's understated. I usually carry my black leather Gucci Swing tote or a DE LV Neverfull MM to work. On occasion, I'll carry a Prada Double Zip tote. Since I need to tote a laptop around with me, a lot of my designer handbags are not practical for me to carry to work.

Reactions: theprettymiss
I think there could be a difference between what your boss wears and what your overall company culture is. I don’t see a need to consciously dress down a level from a direct supervisor if the parking lot is full of luxury cars or everyone takes expensive trips, lives in big houses, etc. Just because your boss doesn’t dress particularly well doesn’t mean you can’t be fabulous.

But there are probably other companies where the boss’ attire is indicative of a conservative overall company culture. If no one had any obvious displays of wealth, I’d be more concerned about whether my designer items could cause issues with company politics. That’s especially true if you’re able to afford such things not because of the salary the company pays, but because of family/household money.

Either way, I can see designer bags at the same job being appropriate in some cases (impressing a new client with visible financial solvency) and not appropriate in others (telling minimum-wage employees the company can’t afford holiday bonuses this year while carrying a new Birkin).

I only have designer bags so yes, I wear them to work. I bought them to use, would be a waste if I only kept them for special occasions or weekends. I don't really have any attention drawing bags though and no one has ever really made a fuss about them. Not sure they know what brand they are or the cost if they do they've never commented. I just don't really discuss it with anyone.

Reactions: papertiger
For those of you that work in offices, what are your thoughts on wearing a designer bag to a job interview and/or to work? Specifically, for employees working in corporate roles like human resources, finance, marketing/communication, etc.

I have a Chanel Executive Cerf Tote (black with ghw) which I have previously worn to the office and to a job interview. I personally feel that it is a rather discreet bag but I have heard stories of coworkers and executives being rather judgmental in a negative way, getting smaller salaries/bonuses, etc.

I was also wondering if you feel that a Louis Vuitton Speedy 35 Bandoulière in Damier Ebène would be suitable, professional, and somewhat discreet as a work bag.

For reference, I have worked for multinational organisations for the past 5 years, in a major city, but have rarely ever seen someone wearing a designer bag to the office (or at least did not notice).

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

When I worked for a large financial services company I mostly carried a Boss Taylor tote as it's roomy and very subtly branded. Sometimes I did carry something less formal, like a Coach Field tote or a LC LP XL. For customer meetings and business trips it was nearly always the Taylor that went with me.

But. Ladies from other branches did carry very obvious, not-under-the-radar high end designer bags when they visited our office. I was the person they left their purses with when they went out to lunch and I had several Luggage totes and a few quilted Chanels in my bag kindergarten during the years.

A Cerf tote is very appropriate for a business environment. If you don't make a number out of it, others probably won't even take notice of it either. Not counting bag people that will most likely notice and approve.

We have this question a lot, but times change.

However, all work places and locations are different. I wouldn't carry anything even remotely designer recognisable to a job interview, not even of my/their business was luxury. I'd go totally 'stealth-mode' until I go the job.

Then I'd check what others are wearing.

I'd want to be known for me first, and then it's easier to introduce whatever into the mix and no one's going to stereotype me.

OK, so obviously a LV mono is not discreet, but Damier, possibly. Again, it's not everybody's idea of quiet luxury but I see quite a few guys with work bags with a graphite or brown Damier print. Chanel Cerf Tote sounds very appropriate.

BTW, I wear designer every day for everyday. No one cares where I am, but then they walk around in BV jumpsuits or leather dresses so it's slightly different. Many are in marketing and comms.