Do you wear your designer bag to work/interviews?

No, I would not carry a designer bag to an interview, I have a black croc embossed bag without logos that looks very nice that I usually use for work anyway. Why take the risk of bringing something obviously designer when you don't have to? After you've got the job do what you want, but don't let the bag you carry that one day be the difference in you getting the job or not.

This is a great question. I have struggled with it myself. Really depends. New York law firm, yes -- probably. The woman interviewer at the NY firm will probably recognize your bag, logo or not. That's just the way it is in that city. Government agency, no. You get the picture. Also depends on the position. The more you know about the person interviewing you, the better.

I only own designer bags, but the bag I've taken on an interview before is my LV Alma in black epi, what's great about it is it doesn't have logos all over it and the fact that its black keeps it low key. Only someone who knows designer would every know.

I took my F+C jet setter tote to an interview today, as its the only one big enough to carry my portfolio.
And the person who was interviewing me loved it and spent 5 minutes asking me about the company and where I bought it from:amuse:

I would and I have. I'm an attorney myself and here in New York City most attorneys are extremely well dressed and for want of a better word, expensive-looking. It's part of the image for a succesful Partner or up-and-coming Associate, a sort of uniform for lawyers. Of course, public interest law may be different than working in a large law firm environment......

Attorneys in NYC do dress so much better than those here in DC! NYC is definitely its own fashion world. I took CLE courses up there (I'm barred in NY) and saw lots of designer bags and Cartier watches, like three of the new larger style, on the students. Keep in mind this was for people new to law or 1-2 years out!!

yes, it's a little shocking at first but when I graduated lawschool in 2001 First Year Associates starting salaries was $125,000 straight out of lawschool and starting salries use to go up EVERY year. That was eight years ago! I wouldn't be surprised if 2009 First Year Associate salaries were closer to $200,000, or would have been if not for the Economy slowing down, so with First year salaries like that I guess they can afford it! :nuts:

Anyway, I agree with others who say that as long as it's not a bag with logos all over it, it 's probabaly fine to carry a designer bag.

Attorneys in NYC do dress so much better than those here in DC! NYC is definitely its own fashion world. I took CLE courses up there (I'm barred in NY) and saw lots of designer bags and Cartier watches, like three of the new larger style, on the students. Keep in mind this was for people new to law or 1-2 years out!!

Last edited:
as long as it looks professional/classic, matches with your outfit and doesn't scream "designer" (i.e. monograms) it should be fine. if your bag "pulls your look together" it would give the impression that you're professional and care about your appearance.

There's designer, and then there's every-single-person-on-the-street-recognizes-that-it's-designer. IMO, for a job interview no monograms (anything recognizably LV is out), and I wouldn't carry anything immediately recognizable as Chanel either. I also wouldn't wear Louboutins. There's plenty of time for what I'd consider "flashy designer" once you have the job.

It is possible to look nicely put together and understated at the same time.