Do you wear shoes in your house??

Do you wear shoes on in your house??

• Yes, I do wear shoes in my house.

• No, I do not wear shoes in my house.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wear shoes in my apartment sometimes, but not constantly. I also rent.
Plus I have dogs so our carpet is never going to be the cleanest on the block.

When I was in 9th grade I went to a friend's house and we went downstairs to get on the computer. Apparantly her great aunt had watched me come in and followed us downstairs. She started yelling at me in vietnamese and pointing at my shoes, then proceeded to hit me (not very hard) with something, I think was a pair of shoes or some papers.
I was shocked and took off my shoes. She yelled something at my friend and went back upstairs. I looked at my friend like, "wtf?" and she shrugs and says, "Forgot to tell you you're supposed to take off your shoes".

LOL thats funny!

I'm Viet, my MIL is Laotian, her man-friend is white. when she lived with us, her friend came to visit and had his shoes on. it was mid winter in WI!! i told her to ask him to take his shoes off and she got mad at me! she thought i was being rude! i explained that I have 2 kids rolling around, playing on the floor and i'd like the carpet to be dry please. and its not rude!

I was brought up in the midwest and no one wore shoes in their own homes or other people's homes.

I'm in Arizona now and no one ever takes their shoes off. Completely freaks me out. We've torn up all the carpet in the downstairs of our house because I was so horrified since we just couldn't keep it clean. I have a rule for my kid's friends that their shoes must be left at the front door. Absolutely NO reason for them to wear them upstairs (carpet).

I think it is really gross to have shoes on carpet. (and bathrooms w/bath or shower)

The pest control guy brings shoe covers (little paper booties) and I thought that was so thoughtful of him!!:biggrin: I joked with him that I'd like to purchase a pack of them, it's a great idea.

I went to an open house this weekend where the owner made everyone but the blue paper booties on before entering the house. I thought it was smart.

LOL thats funny!

I'm Viet, my MIL is Laotian, her man-friend is white. when she lived with us, her friend came to visit and had his shoes on. it was mid winter in WI!! i told her to ask him to take his shoes off and she got mad at me! she thought i was being rude! i explained that I have 2 kids rolling around, playing on the floor and i'd like the carpet to be dry please. and its not rude!

We have hard wood floor and we take shoes off. I am Asian. Funny thing is my in-laws are Asian as well...they take shoes off at their house but come trodding in my house with shoes off. I like to keep dirt out of my house. I am so mad at them.

i always take my shoes of when i go into the house adn the same when visting ppl in the arab world its rude to come in with your shoes on you usually tkae them off at the door

Apparently there is a big difference in culture: in Belgium we wear shoes in our house. It is actually pretty rude to ask visitors to take of their shoes. Most of us have a small doormat where you are supposed to wipe your shoes. I would feel very weird walking around someone else's house barefoot.

RE: driving without shoes- it's not illegal in California. There was a thing awhile back on one of those "fact or fiction" segments on the news because apparently a lot of people did think that it was illegal (even my mom did), but it's not. You can drive without shoes here. :yes:

I never wear shoes in my house I will take them off the second I step in the entrance hall. I may wear slippers when it's chilly but not during summer. I prefer barefoot.

I never asked any visitors to take off their shoes unless their shoes are terribly muddy (but that's incredibly rare).
I will ask the person that invited me in his/her home if it's ok to take my shoes off, some ppl appreciate it, some freak out, I don't take them off if they freak out.

I ve noticed that ppl started using a small shoes rack outside their apartment to leave their shoes, and it indicates it is not a shoes in the apt home. In my building there is a high chance my shoes will get stolen... So I keep 2 benches with shoe storage space right next to the door inside the apt.

Last edited:
I never wear shoes in my house I will take them off the second I step in the entrance hall. I may wear slippers when it's chilly but not during summer. I prefer barefoot.

I never asked any visitors to take off their shoes unless their shoes are terribly muddy (but that's incredibly rare).
I will ask the person that invited me in his/her home if it's ok to take my shoes off, some ppl appreciate it, some freak out, I don't take them off if they freak out.

I ve noticed that ppl started using a small shoes rack outside their apartment to leave their shoes, and it indicates it is not a shoes in the apt home. In my building there is a high chance my shoes will get stolen... So I keep 2 benches with shoe storage space right next to the door inside the apt.

My Mom has that inside her apartment as well!!

I was shocked to see the "No" responses to that poll. I do wear shoes in my house, but only when walking in or out, I dont keep shoes on when I'm home. I just dont require that people remove their shoes I guess.
90% of my house is either hardwood or tile so I dont have to worry about carpets, except for upstairs and therefore I dont lay on my hard floors lol
I also have 2 dogs that go in and out all day long, so they bring in dirt, sticks, grass, etc.I have to sweep or vacuum regularly to get up all the "stuff". So, no, I dont worry about whether I, or anyone else has shoes on in the house or not.

i don't wear shoes around my house, but for me, it's a comfort thing. the minute i get home, i kick them off and relax. but i would never ask anyone to take off their shoes in my home, i tell them they can be however they are most comfortable.
it's funny, i always thought differently than the majority of the people on this thread, growing up, i always thought it would be rude to walk into someone else's home and take off my shoes. why would they want to see my feet? getting comfy like that in someone else's home, without them saying "please, feel free to take off your shoes and make yourself comfortable" would be to me like walking in and taking off your pants because it's more comfortable. i only had 1 friend growing up whose parents didn't want shoes worn inside the house, and i never understood it. of course, if i go into someone's home and they request that i take off my shoes, i would. but i really never hear that at all.
i have a question for you all. what if you are having a dinner party in your home, would you still ask people to take off their shoes? people are in nice clothes, dressed for an occasion, i, personally, would find that very odd. what do you think?

I'm in the middle of this question as I do sometimes wear flip flops around the house when cleaning up or when guest are over. I do have friends that will ask if they can take their shoes off so they can be comfortable and I say yes but would never demand they take their shoes off.

When we lived in Michigan, we were always taking our shoes off or our boots off at the door because of snow and slush, and then it just carried over into the summer months out of habit. Now that we are in Florida, I think sometimes I just keep my sandals or flip flops on and sometimes I take them off. It's really a hit or miss kind of thing. I think it is much more sanitary, however, to really take your shoes off all the time and leave them at the door. Now, when I am entering someone else's home, I always take my shoes off out of politeness.