do you think chanel is better quality than lv?

Dear OP,
Dont mean to offend you in anyway but I feel like you need validation from other TPFs to agree with you that "chanel is better quality than LV" . As people have mentioned on this thread, your question is too subjective. Not everyone shares the same opinion because everyone has had different personal experiences whether it be bad or good with their bags/accessories. I personally think that if having one Chanel handbag makes you happy rather than buying 5 LV handbags well more power to you, buy what makes you happy no matter what others say because at the end of the day is your money that your spending not mine. Just like it makes me happy to rather spend my money on 5 LV handbags rather than one Chanel .:biggrin:
(feel free to disagree with me) ;)

Unless Chanel and LV are using the same materials and making the same styles of bag, I don't think you can compare. Most Chanels are all leather, whereas LV uses more canvas. You can't compare leather to canvas...and you can't compare a classic flap to a Speedy. I don't really understand threads like this as they often turn out badly.

I will say this: I prefer Chanel to LV because I love the styles more and I feel like they are a better investment. I love the quilting and I think Chanel does some of the best patent bags. I used to be an LV girl but I've sold probably 80% of my LV's now and Chanel is slowly taking over my closet. It is all about personal preference.

LV are durable. I have carried LV bags for a long time. In fact it was the first "designer bag" I ever owned. LV wallets are the toughest and the only ones I carry. I have a vernis zippy wallet right now and I absolutely love it. That being said, I am now totally over LV handbags (I think they can look dated) and have either sold them or given them to family members. I am 53 and decided to go with more timeless, classic bags that I can keep for a long time. I recently purchased two jumbo caviar ghw bags in black and beige clair. I agree also that it is a better investment.

if i'm going to be in place where I can't really worry too much about my bag - LV canvas it is. My LV Mono canvas are my rain, snow, sleet go-to bags

i tend to baby my chanels more. probably because they are more expensive!

as far as which one is more classic.....they both are, but for me personally, chanel is more luxe. Hermes is at the top of my luxury totem pole, chanel is next, below is LV. Most probably driven by the price structure!

You can't compare apples to oranges !
Both designers have their timeless pieces , their gorgeous limited edition ones,and even their bad ones:smile: & their classic ones.
Like the motard biker bag by Louis Vuitton ,oh I still fall in love with it every time I take it out of it's dust bag ,but can u EVER get board of the classic flap?!
I say " beauty in the eye of the beholder" :smile:

I think the 2 main questions OP brought up are: quality & timelessness.

I've never owned an LV, so I can't comment on the quality question. However, I would say that the silhouette of the main bags from each line (LV's Neverfull/Speedy/alma; Chanel's 2.55/classic flaps) are equally iconic and timeless.

I personally prefer the look and feel of Chanel flaps much more (as evidenced by my growing collection). I've never really been drawn to the classic LV bags (except the trunks - they are SO luxe, and I would love to live in a world where they would actually be practical cos people would tote around my luggage for me!)

I would rather have 1 2.55/flap than 5 LVs! However, that's based more on the fact that I love the Chanel aesthetic (the quilting, the chains, the camellia etc) and the history of the house, rather than Chanel being more "timeless".

I'm not trying to offend anyone but I think LV is more durable. As far as I've seen, there are more defects in Chanel. Nevertheless, I would rather have a Chanel than an LV because of the style.

Although I LOVE honey patina on vachetta leather, I just simply do not care for the deep warm brown patina that occurs after many years of use. So, personally, if I bought a bag with vachetta leather, I would not be able to use it for more than a couple years bc of that color it would achieve. So for that issue alone I can't consider them timeless (FOR MYSELF!) Although I totally agree that both brands offer timeless styles. (but really? what does LV have that can compete with the classic quilted flap?!?! a big steamer trunk? i think that would cramp my style :sunnies:laugh:smile:

What bag(s) are you thinking of getting? What purpose will it serve?

i think this is too subjective.. plus i think you should get the bag you want not based on the quality of it.. i mean obviously you want a good durable bag.. but what's the point if you pick LV because someone says LV's quality is better.. but you're preferance is towards how chanel looks and it's aesthetics?? or vice versa?? plus if you wanted a good durable bag.. you could just pick a kenneth cole bag which is made of fantastic quality leather but a fraction of both LV and Chanel. I invest in Chanel because i belive in the company and i just love how it looks!

Overall during my time here, I think that LV is more durable. Stitching wise, LV seems stronger and tighter (when I look at my bags at home).

However, I prefer Chanel over LV because of their styles.

I have both LV and a Chanel GST (no flaps). I love the quality and craftsmanship of both. I dont really think one is superior over the other. Yes there are various price points within each designer so its really difficult to compare what is "better". LV Monogram and Damier is canvas whereas most of the Chanel bags and SLG's are leather. I have an LV Vernis agenda and thing is indestructable, it gets tossed around everywhere in my bag and it is still beautiful and shiny. I also have a Cambon wallet which also still looks beautiful after being tossed around everywhere in my bag. It really is a matter of personal style, how much you are willing to spend, and how you take care of your items. I love both designers equally and I just cant compare. A black jumbo caviar flap with gold hardware make my heart flutter just as much as a white muilticolore speedy. Both fit right into my sense of style and taste and would love to own both one day.

No offense take in any way. I am NOT looking for any validation. I have my opinions as does everyone in this forum. Thanks for all the responses, I enjoyed reading everyones opinions.

Yes, No, Maybe....all depends on the collection, the bag, even the color....

I had a Chanel patent leather burgundy flap - that smelled awful...something in the pigment production of the patent leather...the boutique had to take it back and fully agreed with me...it was horrible, gave me a headache - just being around the bag. :sad:

Reactions: uri