do you think chanel is better quality than lv?

limalove

Jan 25, 2011
I am new to this forum, and posted on this question but in the lv thread. many responses said the monogram canvas lasts better than chanel leather, etc

What are your ladies responses.

I got a rude response when I stated that lv doesn't last (monogram canvas with vachetta leather) because I don't like the look of aged vachetta.

I believe Chanel is timeless and a better value even with the prices so high I believe if you take care of your bags you can pass them on to your daughter.

Please let me know, which is better quality and which is better chanel and lv?

Please don't post saying it is a matter of opinion and style, I am just looking for answers on quality, timelessness, etc

THANKS LADIES!

ps lets keep it friendly, no rude responses like over in lv!!!

it depends on the style of bag. some lvs have been known to hve quality issues eg damier nf cause the leather straps peel etc. same as some Chanel bags have had issues with screws coming off gst/psts. also some say Chanel quality is going down but others also say lv quailty is going down. IMO it depends on the style of bag, how you use it and what flaws bother you. some people are more fussy than others eg lv hardware tarnishing ect

After reading more threads in the LV forum I really think they can't be compared. THere are some really beautiful higher end LV bags. I don't think that bags like speedys of a neverfull can be compared to a chanel flap.

The reason why I think Chanel is "better" should I dare to say is the fact that is is timeless. I would rather own 1 chanel bag than 5 LVs

it depends on the style of bag. some lvs have been known to hve quality issues eg damier nf cause the leather straps peel etc. same as some Chanel bags have had issues with screws coming off gst/psts. also some say Chanel quality is going down but others also say lv quailty is going down. IMO it depends on the style of bag, how you use it and what flaws bother you. some people are more fussy than others eg lv hardware tarnishing ect

I totally agree.

limalove, If you are expecting a straight answer, I don't think you are going to get one because this is such a subjective matter. If you are an extremely fussy person, even the slightest thing may be an issue to you and you may call it a 'quality' issue, whereas someone else may consider it normal wear and tear. How do you differentiate what is a quality issue and what is not? It is a matter of opinion surely and a matter of who's opinion you want to take to match your own. If you feel Chanel has better quality bags and receive many replies here agreeing with you, it does not mean that this is a fact. Simply because it isn't a matter of exact science. There are so many combination of comparisons to make. Are you referring to the Vernis line vs the Chanel Patent pieces? Or just the Monogram Canvas line to the Classic Chanel pieces for example? Too many pieces to truly make such a comparison.

On top of that, on the issue of vachetta leather, the very reason it is called Vachetta is because Vachetta leather is untreated leather and changing its color is a characteristic of this type of leather. Just like how Prada/MiuMiu's Vitello Lux has a sheen with various cracks and scratches - you can't call them flaws or quality issues - this is a characteristic of the leather and the designer has chosen to use these types of leather on their bags for a reason. To give the piece a certain type of look, feel etc. The vachetta on the LV monogram pieces is iconic. To say the color change of vachetta through time is a flaw, is purely an opinion on your part and you may be one of few who think so - while LV might have a different opinion or might say you are incorrect.

So, going back to your question of which has better quality, I think you will not get the straight answers you are looking for. You will only get replies with different opinions and maybe if you get enough people in here saying Chanel is better, you may rest in your quest to find the answer to this very difficult question. Or you may choose to compile the votes here at the Chanel forum with the votes from the LV forum and see which has more votes for which brand. But whatever you do in the end to satisfy your need to know, you have to realise, it will never truly be accurate for there are present, simply too many variables.

Reactions: AmeeLVSBags
After reading more threads in the LV forum I really think they can't be compared. THere are some really beautiful higher end LV bags. I don't think that bags like speedys of a neverfull can be compared to a chanel flap.

The reason why I think Chanel is "better" should I dare to say is the fact that is is timeless. I would rather own 1 chanel bag than 5 LVs

The statement in bold says it all so I guess that is the answer to your question.

I have both Chanel and Monogram Louis Vuitton bags (amongst others) and I feel they are both high quality handmade handbags. To me its impossible to compare the two due to styling, cost, material used, and personal taste. They are equally timeless IMO because they have been around for many, many years.

As far a LV vachetta goes and it 'not lasting' due to the aging process, it does/can last for decades. Vachetta can be protected and cleaned if wanted, and the preference of 'new' or 'aged' vachetta is personal taste rather than a bag flaw.

I don't stick with one handbag designer because I like mixing it up depending on what I'm doing or what I'm wearing. Last week we traveled to Scottsdale and I flew with my large Tivoli GM and packed two Chanels for the trip, and I was so glad I had them all : )

When you ask for peoples opinions you will get them, that's for sure ;)

Reactions: CAcker01
I agree. I find the LV Vernis pieces are indestructible, same as a few of my caviar Chanel pieces. And some of the materials used by LV, like the canvas, are more resistant than lambskin.

I think it definitely comes down to what type of bag you choose. Both brands have their quality pros, and cons.

I used to love LV Monograms but over the years have grown fussy about the Vachetta turning that darker patina. I have Chanels in lambskin and caviars and I have to say the caviars hold up really well with use. Lambskins, not so much but they are beautiful in certain colours. I was thinking of purchasing a LV Vernis piece to travel with but the sales person at the LV boutique actually talked me out of it. She said that they are not very durable if my intention is to travel with it. She did not say why and they got kind of busy and I didn't get a chance to ask. I also have LV Epi leather pieces, those hold up well on the most part but I realize that some of the leather straps have began peeling apart and the zippers are starting to tarnish. By the way, I take very good care of all my bags and store them in the bags and boxes after every use.

I agree with many of the posters that there are way too many styles and leathers to easily answer the question. I owned an LV black Epi Alma when they were first produced and it was indestructible. But you can't compare it to a Chanel flap in caviar or lambskin. Totally different bags.

Bottom line I think Chanel is considered more iconic and higher status then LV... I say buy and carry the designer(s) you love and don't worry what others think....

That is your opinion. You can't expect everyone to think the same way.

As for the answer to the question in the title, no, I don't think Chanel is better in quality.

Reactions: mrs.JC
Both are respected fashion house w/ millions of devoted shoppers... No one is better than the other.

"The reason why I think Chanel is "better" should I dare to say is the fact that is is timeless"...have you ever seen a Louis Vuitton trunk?

Reactions: mrs.JC
That is your opinion. You can't expect everyone to think the same way.

As for the answer to the question in the title, no, I don't think Chanel is better in quality.
Well said.

It is all subjective, and you will hear this many, many times.
Chanel's flaps may be timeless to you, but for other's it may not. Therefore some may think LV is "better quality" than Chanel, and some may think the opposite.

Really, it's something indisputable!
Just my two cents. :smile:

I've already posted in the other thread but will answer your question here.

No you can't compare the Chanel flap to LV speedy/NF. They are completely two different bags. One is leather the other is canvas. Both are timeless as they have been around for decades. LV has been around much longer than Chanel.

If you base quality based on how it ages then LV would out ahead again. PVC coated canvas will last longer than leather. It is simple science. Inorganic material will last much much longer than organic material. Heck, wasn't there a study saying that your simple plastic shopping bags will still be around by the end of the century?

Can't we all just enjoy our bags? :flowers: