Do you think Balenciaga would be age appropriate?

Its a tough question. When I was that age I didnt care that much about bags and such - I would worry that someone would try to steal it from her. But - there are such different levels of maturity - maybe she does realize that 2k is a lot of money and will treasure the bag for years to come.

I'm of the belief that expensive luxury items are not appropriate for young adults. Honestly, I grew up in an extremely well-to-do family, but was not gifted things such as expensive handbags, designer clothes, etc. I was taught that these things should be earned, and saved towards, rather than just given. If you're thinking of an extra special gift, I believe jewelry (such as a Tiffany charm bracelet, or something similar) can be given at milestone events--sweet 16, graduation, etc.) I honestly have most jewelry pieces that were given to me while I was growing up, but my first designer bags that I ever purchased, have long since moved on.

I think even if she is 18 it is a very expensive bag for that age. My daughter is 19 and I don't lend her my bags, first of all because she will make all of her friends jealous and I know what that means, secondly because there is a lot of mugging in Greece and many women including myself have lost bags with lots of stuff in them and third, because if you haven't worked for something that expensive you can't easily appreciate it. So my advice would be to leave it for a little later. Around here I see many young ladies circulating with LV bags which are cheaper, the Neverfull for example, and much more durable.