Do you think Balenciaga would be age appropriate?

Have faith in her. After all, you said she took care of her stuff well and it's what her want. If she ruin it, there's a lesson there.
I don't care about how young or old people should carry designer bags. It's just stuff. What's inside that count. I've seen older people with very sad bag.
She's been good. If the family can do this part of the deal without any problem, I'd say gift her the bag.

And really, I although pamper my bags, I don't agree with putting so many restriction on her how to use it. She's young and it's her bag. She has her life ahead. If she ruin it, she'll learn how to take care of her things even though she may not get a chance to own one anymore. Just simply give her suggestion, but it's her right to treat it the way she wants. She'll learn and she'll have good time/memory with it.

A child has no need whatsoever for a premium designer bag. What will she have to look forward to as an adult? I think we get to caught up in giving kids stuff and spoiling them. I'm guilty myself but you have to put the brake on for their own good sometimes.

vink said:
And really, I although pamper my bags, I don't agree with putting so many restriction on her how to use it. She's young and it's her bag. She has her life ahead. If she ruin it, she'll learn how to take care of her things even though she may not get a chance to own one anymore. Just simply give her suggestion, but it's her right to treat it the way she wants. She'll learn and she'll have good time/memory with it.

That's true! I certainly learned my lesson!
Though at least it wasn't with a $2000 bag...

I'd wait till she's at least 18 before giving her a premium designer bag. No doubt she may love to have it now. But it's also good to teach her about the virtue of delayed gratification and prioritisation. It's good to have something to aspire towards. I'm pretty sure there are lots of other (less expensive) things she would enjoy at her age. Bal will always be there when she's ready.

I'd wait till she's at least 18 before giving her a premium designer bag. No doubt she may love to have it now. But it's also good to teach her about the virtue of delayed gratification and prioritisation. It's good to have something to aspire towards. I'm pretty sure there are lots of other (less expensive) things she would enjoy at her age. Bal will always be there when she's ready.

:goodpost: well said. i completely agree, receiving such an expensive gift at such a young age sets a high bar going forward. i'm sure there are 16 year olds out there who can maintain and appreciate a bal, but for the most part i don't think it's appropriate.

IMO, age doesn't matter to me. What's more important is how she got it. If the teen has exerted every effort to save money from her allowance and/or worked her self off so she can buy the most precious bag she wants, then she definitely deserves to have one. This absolutely teaches her the value of working hard to get what she wants.

I think she should get it.
I got my first designer bag very young I think I was 10. And it was a bag that you needed to baby. For her I think a Balenciaga is appropriate for a young girl. Balenciaga's don't need much babying. And throwing them around and letting them age adds character to the bag. And someone who is so young and already into high end names to get such an expensive bag so young will be a pleasent lasting memory they'll cherish forever.

I think teens can know the difference between their knock around bags and extra special bags. My 14 year old does not own any Bal or LV bags, but she owns several Coach bags. She has a swing bag from the outlet that is her knock around, and has a couple other bags that she wears for special occasions that she treats very carefully.

If the young lady in question is saving for the bag or using gift money to buy it, I bet she will treat it appropriately.

Although I did not get expensive bags as a young girl, but my grandfather always bought me (and the other ladies in our family) very nice gold jewelry for Christmas. My father keeps that tradition alive now by purchasing my daughters nice jewelry that they can have for years to come.

This is absurd. I dont really see why a teenager or anyone under the age of 18 would need such an expensive bag. But you make that call if thats what she wants and you think its a good idea for someone her age. Just hope she doesn't come asking for a $3000 bag next year.

I think I'll be hesitant to give her one. At least not until she's in college. For sure, she'll be asking for something more next Christmas or another Bal. As bal owners, we know how addicting they could get!! Lol! You should give it to her on a milestone occasion like graduation or when she turns 18. That way, she will remember and associate that receiving such an expensive gift can only be received from achievement or very special occasions. Christmas happens every year and if she's able to get an expensive bag this Christmas, she will look forward to next Christmas to get herself another designer bag.

I don't think so for a few reasons.

If she wants a bag for travel get a coated canvas bag that will hold up, Bals IMO will make poor travel bags because the leather is delicate. While I have traveled with them in the past, heck I think the Velo is a great travel bag due to the size and crossbody strap, I don't make it a habit to use them in that fashion I generally carry them if it's the main bag I plan on using on my trip. They show wear fairly quickly especially if you get a light color. I've had bags that I've sold only after a month or two of wear because I was so disappointed with how quickly it got funky looking and ended up selling it.

Another reason is, it doesn't matter how well she takes care of her stuff as a teen I feel pretty safe saying I think back in HS we've all known someone who has had something ruined by someone else due to petty HS drama. I remember back during powder puff football one team trashed the other teams cars, and by trashed I mean they put bologna all over the car and slashed the soft tops to jeeps & convertibles to spray shaving cream all over the inside. Needless to say that was the last year of powder puff for our school. I'd hate for her new pricy handbag end up being the target of some petty teenage retribution.

Also unless is lives in a extremely affluent town where everyone runs around high end bags/clothing this could also cause some unwanted negative attention as the brand is fairly popular and well known.

In the end it's her money and if she chooses to save up and buy it on her own their isn't much you can do it's her decision. I commend that kind of drive & discipline at such a young age, it's a great thing to encourage. I'd just make sure she's fully aware of both the pros & cons to owning a Bbag so she can make a informed decision and doesn't end up with buyers remorse.