Do you have to have a lot of money to carry a birkins?

I think there are people who will buy handbags because they're beautiful things, no matter what others think... But I'm not sure the prices commanded by most fashion houses could be sustained by the quality and aesthetic of the product alone. Prestige and marketing are primarily what one pays for, in my opinion. That doesn't negate the intrinsic beauty of the bag itself, however.

See, this is the ONLY reason why I buy handbags.... and, on the flip side, one reason why I hesitate to carry them. I'd be happy just lining up all my bags in my room like a museum display, as long as I could touch and feel them too. I see them as wearable art. Of course the prices are ridiculous, and the markup for the bags obviously flies above and beyond the cost of production and sale, but I pay them (or I pay slightly lower eBay prices) because I want that particular bag. Does the cost of a painting at an auction reflect the cost of the materials used to make the painting, or the price required to maintain the painter's life? No. But it does reflect the desire and demand for that painting.

There will always be people who buy material things, art and handbags alike, to garner prestige or show of their wealth. The unfortunate side effect is that people like me, who love these things for their sake alone, end up being labeled or associated with the others. I hate being labeled when I walk out the door with one of my bags, and I bend over backwards not to look "rich"... which is why this particular question (of the thread) gnaws at me in a personal way. For me, carrying a birkin is NOT about whether I'm from a particular class or stratum or want to show off money I don't have, or even any hint of a fashion sensibility. I am SO not a fashionista. I want to be well put together, but trends and clothes are really off my radar.

I love the bags for their beauty and quality. That's it. I wish it were okay to just be a bag lover because I'm a bag lover, but somehow carrying certain bags has gotten to the place where it's associated with fashion/wealth. I love carrying a birkin because it's handmade and I can wonder about the person who made it. I like the feel of leather in my hands. That's it.

thanks!! sometimes i wonder whether it's just an asian mother thing, you know - my fiance's caucasian and his mother is soooooooo nice and supportive!! i was like, :wtf: you're a mom and you're NICE? :roflmfao:

I am married to a caucasian. Um... I think it definitely is the asian mother thing... We have far more complicated relationships with our mothers than any other cultures I know! :confused1:

I am married to a caucasian. Um... I think it definitely is the asian mother thing... We have far more complicated relationships with our mothers than any other cultures I know! :confused1:

tell me about it! I guess that's also why I'm at ease when I moved to a different country. one country is not enough for my mother and I. no, I don't hate her. it's more complicated than that. :yes:

I think I buy bags now coz I'm trying to lose my baby weight and still can't fit into any of my old clothes and don't want to invest in clothes where I might outgrow from. I just think you can carry nice bags no matter what age and size you are (same goes with shoes), that's what it makes bags to appealing to me. :heart:

And back to the original question, I don't think you *have to* have a lot of money to carry a birkin at all! When I bought my first birkin, I was just out of college and didn't earn that much money, I bought a birkin after saving for a year (of course, I didn't starve myself or anything like that), and I was proud of myself for reaching that goal. Now, I'm not saying I buy a bag each month or anything, but I don't need to save for as long as I did to buy one. So to me, it's more like a reward for myself. :smile:

I love the bags for their beauty and quality. That's it. I wish it were okay to just be a bag lover because I'm a bag lover, but somehow carrying certain bags has gotten to the place where it's associated with fashion/wealth. I love carrying a birkin because it's handmade and I can wonder about the person who made it. I like the feel of leather in my hands. That's it.

Very well said. This is why I carry H bags too. It's too bad that carrying it sometimes pulls in so much baggage (pun intended) that has nothing to do with my own reasons for owning H. It's almost like a leather Rorshach test. What other people think about my bag reflects more on them than on me.

Last edited:
Do you have to have a lot of money to carry a birkins?

I love this question. I can give the back end of the answer...you won't have much left to put into the wallet inside you bag after you buy it.

If you want to carry it just to show others you can afford it, then that is a shame and rather shallow.

There will always be people who buy material things, art and handbags alike, to garner prestige or show of their wealth. The unfortunate side effect is that people like me, who love these things for their sake alone, end up being labeled or associated with the others. I hate being labeled when I walk out the door with one of my bags, and I bend over backwards not to look "rich"... which is why this particular question (of the thread) gnaws at me in a personal way. For me, carrying a birkin is NOT about whether I'm from a particular class or stratum or want to show off money I don't have, or even any hint of a fashion sensibility. I am SO not a fashionista. I want to be well put together, but trends and clothes are really off my radar.

I totally feel the same way (well, about my scarves rather than my bags, since I don't have any H bags yet!). I don't own any other luxury or designer items--I usually dress pretty casually and hang out with people who, no matter how wealthy they are or aren't, don't use fashion as an expression of their status, aside from looking appropriate for the occasion. I love H scarves because they're beautiful and feel so nice and lush, but I don't wear them so other people will notice I'm wearing H scarves, and in fact I'd rather they didn't--although I like bright colors in my scarves so that's kind of hard to avoid entirely! But that's why I think my first H bag will be a Gao--it's very understated, so I can enjoy the quality and craftsmanship, but nobody except other H groupies needs to know how expensive it is. I buy H things because I love them, and use them because they're meant to be used.

I think I buy bags now coz I'm trying to lose my baby weight and still can't fit into any of my old clothes and don't want to invest in clothes where I might outgrow from. I just think you can carry nice bags no matter what age and size you are (same goes with shoes), that's what it makes bags to appealing to me. :heart:

:yes: I am with you there. I'm trying to lose baby weight too, but then I'll probably go and get pregnant again in the next couple of years--so accessories are a nice investment because I don't have to worry about whether I can wear them this time next year or the year after that.

See, this is the ONLY reason why I buy handbags.... and, on the flip side, one reason why I hesitate to carry them. I'd be happy just lining up all my bags in my room like a museum display, as long as I could touch and feel them too. I see them as wearable art. Of course the prices are ridiculous, and the markup for the bags obviously flies above and beyond the cost of production and sale, but I pay them (or I pay slightly lower eBay prices) because I want that particular bag. Does the cost of a painting at an auction reflect the cost of the materials used to make the painting, or the price required to maintain the painter's life? No. But it does reflect the desire and demand for that painting.

ITA :heart:

I think there are people who will buy handbags because they're beautiful things, no matter what others think... But I'm not sure the prices commanded by most fashion houses could be sustained by the quality and aesthetic of the product alone. Prestige and marketing are primarily what one pays for, in my opinion. That doesn't negate the intrinsic beauty of the bag itself, however.

Very good point :heart: