Do you have to have a lot of money to carry a birkins?

What wonderful points of view, Im starting to think alot about this....

I dont own a Birkin, but when I started to buy expensive purses, it was for the quality and style...I adore every one of my pieces and use it like crazy....

But I have begun to notice that I do get stero-typed a bit, and it makes me wonder if I am giving off the wrong impression.....that Im materialistic and not the jewelry and bag lover that I am. I even have close family and friends ask me certain things like, "you must be doing better" and it does get to me at times.

I do think that buying a "thing" to appear like someone or be apart of some circle or feel better about myself because of...is wrong and in the end, can become a negative thing in one's life. I honeslty love adorning myself with things.....and in fact, in my Art History class, my professor explains that the first art form was the trinkets that ppl wore on themselves for expression of their culture and belief.

In that light, I guess its how one uses it that matters.

Buy what you love and don't worry about other people. A birkin is not a crass Gucci logo canvas horsebit or a louis vuitton logo speedy, you are buying something that is not intended to "show off" so to speak. There are no logos on a birkin, and to be honest, I'm not sure any normal person walking down the street would care or even notice. And the ones that have a problem, are usually just jealous.

Don't worry about it, just buy what you love and enjoy it! (but don't buy on credit or get into debt, nothing is worth ruining your financial health over)

Buy what you love and don't worry about other people. A birkin is not a crass Gucci logo canvas horsebit or a louis vuitton logo speedy, you are buying something that is not intended to "show off" so to speak. There are no logos on a birkin, and to be honest, I'm not sure any normal person walking down the street would care or even notice. And the ones that have a problem, are usually just jealous.

Don't worry about it, just buy what you love and enjoy it! (but don't buy on credit or get into debt, nothing is worth ruining your financial health over)

Totally agree. These are bags that will last generations and don't overtly advertise themselves. If you have the money and truly love then get it and enjoy it. These are timeless pieces not don't ride the wave of trendiness. They rise above it.

I dont mean to offend but I have to say that a Birkin or a Kelly...by its unaltered design is much like a "logo" of its maker. Hence the way that these two are the iconic Hermes bags instead of a Masai or Lindey, which are less coveted. LV and Gucci does have bags that do not have such logos and wont be recongnized by most, just as much as a Birkin or a Kelly..... Just my 2 cents.

Hm, thought I'd put another word in. I'm not a snob, I just like nice things. To be honest, I'll get into a beat-up old car and drive around with the windows down, because my AC's not workin'. I don't buy clothes much (other than Sass n' Bide/Judi Rosen jeans). I've developed an appreciation for well-built things, and I'm willing to put a fair sum of money into useful investments (like Hermes pieces, ballet class, and savings).

I used to drive a really nice car, bought all those expensive labels (not just handbags, but shoes and clothes; I even have a pair of Prada wool leggings that were $960 in 2000), lived in a 5-story house tucked back in the hills of some affluent area, drove a BMW. After a few years of that, life certainly seemed void of actual meaning.

Now, I feel like we live like Kings -- shopping at the Costco and Walmart for anything we could ever need, mountains of fruits and veggies, planned small trips to fun places, great companionship, fulfilling hobbies, paying the bills on time, having future plans.

We have choices, and I just feel so we're so very lucky. Having the means and opportunity to purchase anything from Hermes is the lit candles on top of a perfectly divine cake. Though I see lots of nice collections, I'm not jealous -- I'm sharing that joy those happy folks get to have in the form of Hermes treats :}

But if I look at my things, and wonder about the value, I remember back to why I picked them -- because they have value to me, whether they're my $35 hemp and leather satchel from a street market in Brazil, or something by Hermes.

Btw, on the section of my last message about living in an affluent area, it's NOT a judgment about anyone here (or anywhere) who might do (have done) the same!

I'm just saying that the experience I had at the time served its purpose to learn some lessons about what ideologies I might have had.

Please don't take any offense, as none was meant to anyone! I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with anyone on here.

I can't speak for all Asian mothers and daughters, but I can draw from my personal experience. I think Asian cultures have traditionally emphasized passive temperments. It's not a culture that traditionally rewards speaking one's mind, emotional outburts, rash comments, or very passionate displays of emotion. The issues I've experienced my mother are probably no different than what mothers and daughters deal with all over the world, it's just that my mother's style of communication is much more passive. The passiveness is at the heart of miscommunications, hurt feeliings, and the feeling of not being able to fully express one's emotions without being pre-judged.

OOOhhh, I suddenly feel like calling my sister and reaching for some Hagen Daz :hrmm:

I'm fascinated by this-would you mind elaborating? I'm not Asian but have a Mother who was "rigide" :rolleyes:

Just playing Devil's Advocate :devil:: what about people who finance their automobiles? Take out home mortgages?

Some may view those as lavish and unecessary items which are silly to go into debt over. Aren't these all just personal choices?

Saving for a Birkin - that's great.

Using credit and rolling over debt - that's alot to think about.

Just playing Devil's Advocate :devil:: what about people who finance their automobiles? Take out home mortgages?

Some may view those as lavish and unecessary items which are silly to go into debt over. Aren't these all just personal choices?

Not everyone finance their automobiles and their homes too.

But yes, it's one's personal choice. But a handbag, it's really only a handbag at the end of the day.

:yes: I am with you there. I'm trying to lose baby weight too, but then I'll probably go and get pregnant again in the next couple of years--so accessories are a nice investment because I don't have to worry about whether I can wear them this time next year or the year after that.

I have to chime in and agree with you both. Recently my mother asked me why I had so many bags. I thought about it and said at my weight (which I am trying to lose) it can sometimes be a bit of a bummer trying to find clothes that are flattering. But a bag, one you truly love, always "fits" no matter what your size.

Now, once I get to my goal weight the fun will be finding the fun, new flattering clothes to wear with my lovely bag collection. :yes:

No, one does not need to have a lot of money to carry Birkins. If one can afford it, why ever not? If one has to go into debt however, that is another story.

As to the age thing, have no fear ladies. My 70+ year old grandmother still carries Birkins although these days she's leaning towards Kellys. More "her age" she says.