do we have to feel bad??

Even if you did not buy authentic designer bags, the problem about poverty will not be eradicated. Giving to charity will help, but it will not zero out poverty either. Enjoy what you've worked hard for. It's your life.

The next time you have to buy this friend a gift, like for her birthday or other special occasion, call her and tell her that her comment about donating to charity really stuck with you and that you admire her selfless attitude. Then, ask her for the name of her favorite charity and tell her that in lieu of a gift, you will make a donation to this charity in her name. I'm sure she will feel wonderful about this!

:lol:

Excellent idea. :yes:

Anyone who criticizes my buying habits on philanthropic grounds (or any other grounds, for that matter) can kiss my a$$. I'm not going to claim that I give as much money to charity as I spend on shopping (although I did give quite a nice amount this year), but that is MY business either way. It's MY MONEY. I spent my life in school until I was 25 years old, got a well-paying but very stressful and exhausting job, and continue to work my butt off for my money every day. Anyone who gives me a hard time about the way I spend it while I'm on my way home from an 11-hour workday is going to get smacked in the head with the brass corners of my Multicolore LV Speedy 30.

Anyone who criticizes my buying habits on philanthropic grounds (or any other grounds, for that matter) can kiss my a$$. I'm not going to claim that I give as much money to charity as I spend on shopping (although I did give quite a nice amount this year), but that is MY business either way. It's MY MONEY. I spent my life in school until I was 25 years old, got a well-paying but very stressful and exhausting job, and continue to work my butt off for my money every day. Anyone who gives me a hard time about the way I spend it while I'm on my way home from an 11-hour workday is going to get smacked in the head with the brass corners of my Multicolore LV Speedy 30.
:roflmfao: :roflmfao:

Clearly I need a bag with better hardware...

I can understand both sides of this discussion and they way that I cope (note -- the way that *I* cope, I don't generalize this to anyone else) is to double my bag budget. What I mean by that is that if I am going to buy myself a $1K bag and I do not want to feel guilty, I do not buy it until I can afford to spend $2K and when I buy the bag, I donate an equal amount to charity. I have 3 groups to whom I donate on a regular basis and whenever I buy myself something super indulgent like a designer bag, one of them gets a donation of that amount -- over and above my usual donations.

I've been trolling this site for a couple of weeks, but didn't feel as though I had anything to add to the threads. This one rang my bell, so I apologize for the length. :rant:

I too have gone to school all my life and continue to work very hard. It has only been until this year that I have earned enough income to spend on a luxury item. When I was in a LV store of course it would be Le Fabuleux that caught my eye. I left the store, but my head was on a swivel as I exited. It was beautiful, but I felt as though it was out of my reach.

I came back the next day and looked at it again. I knew I could get it. No one would go without because I bought a bag. It was a feeling of weightlessness during the purchase. I've NEVER purchased anything on that order of expense except for the down payment on my home. It was an out of body experience b/c that is not what I usually spend having lived off of loans. However, it was INSTANT ownership. That...bag...was...mine!

After 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school/volunteer work, 3 years of training and 6 months of 10 hour work days... I EARNED that bag in ways that cannot be quantified through money alone. How dare anyone suggest that I am doing something wrong.

Something has developed in this culture where complete strangers think they have the right to get an explanation from you about your personal life. They are seriously mistaken and do not deserve to hear ANY of what I've told you all here.

I guess the best answer to those envious people hiding behind a veil of philanthropy (or frugality) is: It's good to give to others, but I pay myself first! Ok..there...I said it. I feel better.:yahoo:

No, you do not have to feel bad, It's your money to spend how you choose. As anything in life, hopefully there is some balance and you do give to some charities, volunteer, etc as well.

But buy and enjoy, it's your money!

From some people's perspective, it's bizarre that any of us would spend so much on a purse. I have a friend whose most expensive purse is a $100 Dooney & Bourke... and she loves it more than anything. She knows I have spent thousands on just one bag and thinks it's insane. We all have different priorities. I would let the comment go and just chalk it up to an opinionated person. I don't think she should have shared her thoughts with you-- why do people feel the need do to that? If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...

To each his own. As long as we work honestly for our money, and we don't go through stealing or the like, we have earned it and have earned the right to spend it whichever way we want to without being questioned.
Her comment was pitiful, because if she were into saving the world and saying those things to you, then she should give up her house and live in a box as well!!!

i think that you should feel a tinge of guilt for spending so much money on handbags when there are many many many people who can't even afford to think about purchasing an expense like that. what you guys spend on purses in a month more than a lot of people make in a couple months. sure, you can say "its my money, i'll do what i want," but shouldn't you have more concern for the world as a whole. Thousands of dollars can fund some schools in foreign countries for an entire year. Let' see...fund a school to improve the future of a less-fortunate country or carry the speedy. Ummm...THE SPEEDY!!!! that's a crazy stand to take. i believe a lot of people need to out of their gated communities, lower their noses a little bit, and realize that there's more out there than showing your latest neiman's purchase and being offended at someone carrying a fake. i laugh at people carrying real bags because i know you think the world of yourself and your only concern is the new line some company will put out soon. and stop with your rant about promoting terrorism and child-labor. your handbag purchases aren't doing anything to stop said harms, nor do your concerns seem to have any merit when you speak down on people carrying fakes as if they are beneath you. if you aren't putting any money towards stopping the practice (and i don't mean purchasing real bags because that does absolutely nothing), then you have no right to speak. you are just mumbling words to make yourself feel better because you know there is no justification for shelling out that kind of money for a carrier of a wallet and sunglasses.

get off your high horse.

It's NOBODY's business what I spend my money on. I will spend a $100,000 on a blank piece of paper if I feel like it. I can afford to buy whatever I want, and do not need to justify it. And the best part is when I go to sleep at night on my $5K Pratesi sheets, I do not feel one ounce of guilt. People just need to mind their own business and concern themselves with their own money.