Food Dishwasher Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berry...

I do not appreciate you making an attempt to make me, the Food Network, your mother-in-law, and any one else who doesn't share your EXACT opinion out to be a bad guy out to STRIP MINE the planet Earth.

Your attempt at being intentionally argumentative is childish. Unless you've NEVER wasted a drop of water, coal, leather, plastic, glass, paper, etc etc how can you assume you are some how fundamentally more concerned about the state of our planet and anyone else?

If you want to pay my utility bills and mortgage then I guess you can tell me how to make dinner for my family.

MODS PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD.

IT'S TURNED INTO A SOAP BOX FOR SOME PEOPLE TO JAM THEIR IDEALS DOWN OUR THROATS OVER ME MAKING SOME STUPID FISH.

THANKS.

Even with all the drama, I have some frozen tilapia that's just dying to be washed and steamed this evening. Thanks for an original (even if it's only original to me :smile:) idea.

I cant believe this became an issue, OP just happily posted her new found way of cooking fish, Im sure when she was doing it she wasn't even thinking about our planet and the ass lashing she was going to get by posting it. Agree to disagree It's not for everyone. Oh and do you know how much energy we waste by using our computers daily??

This bothered me all night (not the jabs, but that this is DONE and promoted on a food network show). First, no one should use ziploc plastic bags to cook in unless they are MEANT for cooking food. Ziplocs are not meant for cooking and will break down at near boiling point (190 degrees is the beginning of breakdown).

Here's an article on that:

http://camping.about.com/od/campingrecipes/a/ziplocbaggies.htm

Now, on the ziploc site it says that you can use ziplocs and saran for heating and reheating foods in the microwave and to follow label directions for use. On further searching using "ziploc boil" it pulled a ziploc.ca site, but it's no longer working, so I can't connect it, but listed is the question, "can you boil in a ziploc bag" and the answer is no. Dishwashers are near boiling.... If you insist on cooking in ziplocs, I would suggest you use their zip and steam bags (or whatever they are called).

Also, a dishwasher uses an average of 25 gallons of water (depending on how old and big the machine is, it could be a super saver with only using 8 gallons, but most of us don't have those).

It cost about 50 cents to run that dishwasher that one time - more because the heat dry was turned on.

Compare that to using 1 gallon of water on the stove with a steamer insert over boiling water while using a FDA approved bag for boiling/steaming. I can't find info on boiling one gallon of water on the stove, but it would be a couple pennies. You would get the same flavor and same fish without all the waste. Plus, the time needed to cook the fish could be controlled better.

25 gallons of water and 50 cents versus 1 gallon of water and 5 cents (which is probably too much money for boiling water on the stove for a few minutes).

Really, I'm not so annoyed that someone tried this. I'm ore annoyed a food show demonstrated this because that is just promoting nonsense and wastefulness.

OK, I'm done now. I don't want "attention"... I'm just tired of so much wastefulness. I talked to my MIL for flushing the toilet because she spit into it to... it's just me.

Wow some people thrive on drama! BerryBlondeBoys, this is the kitchen section of the forum, thought you should be reminded. You are definitely a tad psycho in my opinion. Go to the gen discussion or something if you feel the need to go on a rant abou the environment. People in here are not looking for your kind of overly dramatic games. And with all of the time you have spent on this forum maybe you could be out saving the whales or something.

Wow some people thrive on drama! BerryBlondeBoys, this is the kitchen section of the forum, thought you should be reminded. You are definitely a tad psycho in my opinion. Go to the gen discussion or something if you feel the need to go on a rant abou the environment. People in here are not looking for your kind of overly dramatic games. And with all of the time you have spent on this forum maybe you could be out saving the whales or something.

Wow, for someone whose making claims that another person "thrives on drama," you're certainly doing your part to feed it! Maybe you should go and read the rules, where it says personal attacks against other members are prohibited (calling someone "psycho" for pointing out factual information about dishwater waste), although I'm surprised someone who posts here as often as you doesn't have a clear understanding of the rules yet. :rolleyes:

Wow, for someone whose making claims that another person "thrives on drama," you're certainly doing your part to feed it! Maybe you should go and read the rules, where it says personal attacks against other members are prohibited (calling someone "psycho" for pointing out factual information about dishwater waste), although I'm surprised someone who posts here as often as you doesn't have a clear understanding of the rules yet. :rolleyes:

She's acting psycho. Obviously I don't know her personally to know if she is an actual psycho in real life. Thanks for pointing out the rules to me though. So glad people like you are around to keep us all in the know!

heartnaspade;5047484(calling someone "psycho" for pointing out factual information about dishwater waste said:
Hearts, It maybe factual (and I didn't know this either, and will definately think twice the next time I run my washer for an extremely small load) I just think it was the way Berry came across that just seemed a little out of line, In line with if you dont have anything nice to say... OP was just excited to share the news, berry could have just stated some simple facts about h20 waste or even start a new thread about how we can work together to save our planet, not embarrass her for not being friendly to our planets. KWIM .

I personally think hey why not have a sticky on things we can do to help out in this fight for the planet ,but it shouldn't be in the kitchen or on vodoos thread:tup:

Yikes is right, Jane :shocked:

I think that BBB did present some factual information, but I feel like she did it to cover her @ss after her irrational (and RUDE) rant. I also think she was out of line to come in here and poo all over someone else's thread, regardless of the reason. However, calling her a psycho and a drama queen is equally out of line. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Let's not forget: This kitchen sub-forum is for FOOD. If people want to discuss environmental issues, they should go to the Up to the Minute or GD forums. JHMO.

Speaking of tilapia, I JUST made this for my husband, Tilapia with Jalapeno Chile Butter (modified from www.epicurious.com). Easy and mmm, YUM!! I served it with a side of green beans (canned) and a box of Chicken Rice-a-Roni... Between the two of us, it's all gone!!!

1/2 stick of butter, chopped
3T lime juice
1 chopped shallot (can sautee it beforehand or just throw it in)
1 chopped jalapeno with seeds
1/2 tsp salt

Throw this into the microwave until the butter is melted, around 45 sec.

Rinse and pat dry your tilapia filets. Coat with flour and shake off excess. Pan fry with some olive oil until cooked through, about 5 min.

Top with the sauce. YUM!!! (This amount of sauce is enough for 5 filets of tilapia)

Even with all the drama, I have some frozen tilapia that's just dying to be washed and steamed this evening. Thanks for an original (even if it's only original to me :smile:) idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.