Did you stop buying/using contemporary bags once you go luxury?

Not what you asked, but once I started buying contemporary, I stopped buying bags like Nine West etc. It has been at least a decade since I have done that. Great question though! I am sure if I could afford to buy all premier I would. Right now I only have a couple of higher end LVs in my collection

Sounds like the now shuttered Belen Enchandia. They an archived thread here I believe. I miss them.....I have 2 custom bags from them and wish I had bought more

Look as the Massaccessi thread. I'm expecting my 1st bag this week, but the ladies over there rave about them. Was able to choose hardware color, lining color, strap length, leather type and color.

I think Massaccessi used to be part of BE before he started his own company. I looked at BE but never pulled the trigger. I love my first Massaccessi I received today. I could get spoiled having customized bags in yummy leather, enough pockets, in wonderful colors.

Last edited:
I had mostly mall-brand bags when I bought my first luxury bag, so I pretty much skipped contemporary bags. As I purchased new bags that served the same need as the ones I already owned, I tended to get rid of the lower-end ones.

I don't really look to buy non-luxury bags any more, with a few exceptions for odd colors/patterns and trends.

However, I still have a lot of my lower-end bags for practicality and convenience. I have a lot of situations still where I'd prefer to wear something under-the-radar or carefree, so I definitely still use non-luxury.

Reactions: Sunshine mama
I like having a mix of both. Things that are more trendy and have a high "fun factor" are great to purchase from the contemporary brands. That's not to say I only go for classic colors in the luxury brands (hello lime green BV baseball hobo!), but I'm more likely to grab a light colored summer bag from Coach than investing upwards of $2k for something that will absolutely last... but do I want it to?

Of course, this is largely because I don't resell my bags. :smile:

I like having a mix of both. Things that are more trendy and have a high "fun factor" are great to purchase from the contemporary brands. That's not to say I only go for classic colors in the luxury brands (hello lime green BV baseball hobo!), but I'm more likely to grab a light colored summer bag from Coach than investing upwards of $2k for something that will absolutely last... but do I want it to?

Of course, this is largely because I don't resell my bags. :smile:
I agree! Not only do i buy "fun factor" bags from contemporary brands, i also alter them to my own liking! I don't feel scared permanently altering these bags.
Example, my Coach bag I altered. I made it more girly and put a whole bunch of feet for a design effect. I put a flower where Coach logo used to be, and i cut off 2 long handles and put one shorter handle also. I usually put a long crossbody strap for practicality. And i have a really fun bag with a personality!:biggrin:

Attachments

• 20180430_102135.jpg
    20180430_102135.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 505
What happens to me is that I see a premier brand bag that I want (LV Palm Springs backpack, for instance) but I buy a contemporary bag instead (MJ backpack that I really liked), but I never stop pining for the premier bag. It’s been two years and I still think about buying the LV backpack. [emoji849] But I’m hesitating over it because I already have a backpack (even though I neverrrrrr use it). Am I the only one who does this? So annoyed at myself!

What happens to me is that I see a premier brand bag that I want (LV Palm Springs backpack, for instance) but I buy a contemporary bag instead (MJ backpack that I really liked), but I never stop pining for the premier bag. It’s been two years and I still think about buying the LV backpack. [emoji849] But I’m hesitating over it because I already have a backpack (even though I neverrrrrr use it). Am I the only one who does this? So annoyed at myself!
You are definitely NOT alone. Heck, there are even times when the first bag that catches my eye is a less expensive one, I buy it and congratulate myself on not being ridiculous, and then... I see a luxury bag that's similar in style that is SO MUCH COOLER. And I'd be lying if I said it didn't take something away from the enjoyment of the original bag. (which I loved when I bought it) Ugh. Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss. :lol:

I‘ve only recently started to dip my toe into more luxurious brands (I now own three Mulberrys and a Chloe) and I‘ve been going back and forth on the question whether or not I should stop buying contemporary designer bags to put money aside for larger purchases. Owning a Chanel is tempting, I‘m not gonna lie.

So far, however, I‘ve just been making an effort to spend my money in smart ways. My four designer bags were all heavily discounted — my latest purchase, a Mulberry Freya hobo, was €345. I would not have paid the original asking price but I am excited I got it for such a great price and I feel better about having spent that amount of money on a premier designer bag as opposed to a full price contemporary bag.

So I guess I will keep buying bags that I feel are worth their price tag.

Gesendet von iPhone mit PurseForum

Reactions: Chyyin

Totally feel your pain! I too have done this a few times. Truly a hard habit to break!

Reactions: elbow
You are definitely NOT alone. Heck, there are even times when the first bag that catches my eye is a less expensive one, I buy it and congratulate myself on not being ridiculous, and then... I see a luxury bag that's similar in style that is SO MUCH COOLER. And I'd be lying if I said it didn't take something away from the enjoyment of the original bag. (which I loved when I bought it) Ugh. Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss. :lol:

Holy cow! I’ve done this before too! Lol.