Did you keep your maiden name if or when you got married and why?

I kept mine too. Reasons are similar to what was already posted above - too lazy, degrees, work-related, work networking, too hard, no time, etc. Plus my husband encouraged me to keep mine. (I have a unique surname). I feel bad though when we travel having different surnames.

I love that your husband encouraged you to keep your name. Many men aren't that secure (my own husband, for instance who said changing your last name is just the way it's done!!!???)

Reactions: gagabag
I do not live in my home country so I have a visa. I kept my maiden name but at 1 year anniversary I updated on social media. Then after our first trip to Europe 2 years in and after my daughter was born started by changing my passport to married name. Then I ran into bank account/airline issues due to multiple countries involved so I changed passport again to hyphenate and now I'm double barreled. My kids have my married surname but my maiden name is also my sons first name. A little messy:smile: my new job matched my name on email to my updated double barreled surname and I never recognize when someone uses my initials or my notes appear in a doc. Does make me laugh at least once a week when someone points out that I'm agreeing with my own original comments.

I kept my maiden name also. Same reasons as many mentioned above. My husband had no problem either way if I changed my name or not, he said it was 100% my decision. His mom didn't change her name when his parents got married either.

I kept my maiden name, because #downwiththepatriarchy. :biggrin::biggrin: In all seriousness, I don't like the idea of me changing my name and having that part of me disappear just because I'm getting married. It's the same reason why I chose to walk down the aisle by myself, because I don't like the idea of anyone "giving" me away to my husband. I don't judge anyone who does change their name - to each their own!

I love my husband completely and totally, and absolutely respect him as a person and as my husband, but this is just something that was very important to me. He also completely supported me and didn't care one way or the other whether I wanted to change my name. I assume that if we have kids, which his a big "if", we'll just hyphenate.

Just celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary on April 27. I kept my maiden name for all the reasons already given - and frankly, because it is part of my identity. I see no reason to give that up. My husband understands and has no issue with it.

I meant to change it, his is easier to spell. We discovered late in life my birth certificate has the wrong date on it. I now have official records under multiple birth dates, and the whole thing is so overwhelming, I just can't bring myself to deal with it.

Financial records, work records, and just socially I go by my married name, but by driver's license and passport still have the maiden name.

Someday I'll get around to dealing with it. But it's just easier to ignore for now. Honestly, I just may never get around to it at this point.

I've been married for 3 years, and I haven't changed yet. The reason is living in a different country now, too much paper work in both countries. But I'm planning on changing it one day...