Did you keep your maiden name if or when you got married and why?

I did change it and kinda of regret it. I was young and naive. Now that I'm older I would never do that again. It's so old fashioned that we have to take the man's last name. I guess I could change it back one day.

My boyfriend and I have discussed this. I've always planned on keeping my name, and I want to make sure he's aware if we ever decide to take the plunge. My name is my own, and my family name is relatively rare so I would never change it.

I changed mine and found it painless. I went to the DMV with my marriage license and it took all of 30 minutes. Then I took the temporary license down to the Social Security office with my marriage license and my SS card and changed it. Did it all in a day in less than 2 hours.

I had the exact same experience! No problems at all. Honestly the only place it was a problem was my work but only because their technology is lacking. [emoji849] My husbands last name is much easier to spell and pronounce than my maiden name so it was a good change. My tpf initials are my maiden initials though. [emoji12]

Kept mine for a number of reasons

1. Too much paperwork to change
2. It feels weird to change a part of my identity and "erase" all that I've accomplished with my name
3. Love my father to pieces and want to keep his last name
4. Husband's last name isn't exotic or sexy enough to motivate me (if it was Evangelista or something of that nature, I'd be all over it)

Reactions: KM7029
Kept mine.
1. Didn't like his
2. Didn't really care to go through all the paperwork
3. Saw what my mom went through to change hers back after her divorce

It is such a pain in the butt to change it back! I have seen this firsthand, I worked in a job at one time where I supervised people doing the name changes for customers. Such a hassle to get back to your maiden name back!!!

I kept mine:
1. My marriage license actually says my name would be hubby's, but I never changed it due to laziness and a big relocation at the time.
2. I wouldn't mind hyphenating, but our last names rhyme. No thanks!
3. Hubby's last name actually sounds really good with my first name, but again laziness.
4. I am proud of my ethnicity and like having a last name that represents my roots. Hubby is also a euro mix, but his last name isn't from a country that my ancestors came from. If he had a last name of my predominant ethnicity, I would have been more likely to change mine.
5. I thought about changing it, but had like 5 years left on my passport when we got married.
6. I don't think my husband cares too much if my name is changed or not.

Reactions: JenW
I did keep mine, but I'm the only person I know who kept her maiden name. I live in the south, and it's really unusual here I guess.

I will always be me. I'm not a *Smith* by birth. I'm not a Smith by blood. So I'm not going to change my name to something I'm not.

Having said that, when we have kids, I might reconsider for convenience. But even then I don't know if I will.

Reactions: JenW and MidNiteSun
Nope!

But it's some man's name, from some point in ancestry. No reason for me to carry partriarchy forward, though.

You can always choose an own " partriarchy- free " name if you wish to.
Someone I know changed her name to Rakelsdotter ( daughter of Rachel ) for this reason.
It's not unusual to choose an own name not related to any man.

Of course everyone can do whatever they want , I just can't see the logic in keeping a man's name instead of taking an other man's name because someone is against partriarchy.

There are of course many logical reasons to keep one's maiden name like saving money & time or being known for ones original name.

^

Obviously I am not saying anyone is wrong or right , people just have different opinions.

I am curious if someone has an opinion / explanation why is one's fathers ( grandfather's , any other males name better from a feministic/antipatriarchal POV than a husband's name.

Historically it's about women being a property to be transferred from one man to another...

I may be a bit old fashioned, but I never considered keeping my maiden name. I also prefer to be Mrs. _____ to Ms. DH and I are a team, and share a name. I did offer him mine, but my maiden name is a very common name, and he'd have ended up with the name of a popular celebrity at the time of our wedding...he declined. Imagine that! :cool:

We are coming up on our 27th anniversary this month. Back then it was quite easy, take your marriage license to the DMV to change your driver's license, then to the social security office to change that, change your passport if you had one, and you were done! No email, no social media. My work did a few things on their end, but no where near what goes on today.

I did know a same sex couple prior to same sex marriage laws who chose a totally new name for both of them for their commitment ceremony. Afterwards they did a legal name change.

I kept it because in addition to not liking change, I've published books and currently run a business under my maiden name—not to mention that my first name sounds borderline offensive when combined with his last name. [emoji28]