Diamond (jewelry district) vs. Colored Gemstone (Tiffany Legacy) E-Ring?

kohl_mascara

On to the next one!
O.G.
Oct 30, 2008
I've been looking at the Tiffany Legacy collection, and I want at least a 1.5 carat center stone. That means I'd (okay, my bf) would be spending ~25k, maybe more, on the ring.

Thus, the colored gemstone collection of the Legacy caught my eye:

1.46 sapphire for $11,200: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...1-p+2-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+legacy&search=1

1.74 spinel for $13k: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...1-p+2-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+legacy&search=1

1.65 pink sapphire for $12k: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...1-p+2-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+legacy&search=1

Not to mention the tanzanite (1.28), aquamarine (1.77), and tourmaline (1.9) versions are all around 7-8k.

I want a Tiffany's ring because I love their customer service and the quality of their pieces. Their colored gemstone line caught my eye because they are half/less than half the price of the diamond collection (of course I know diamonds are more rare and precious) and of course, they look stunning!

What do you guys think? Or should I stay traditional and get a diamond ring at the LA jewelry district instead?

Thanks in advance!

No one can answer that for you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a colored-stone engagement ring, but if you would be getting a colored stone JUST because of the price then I don't think you will be happy in the long run. If the Tiffany name is truly important to you, would you consider going with a smaller diamond and trading up later on? Personally, I would choose a larger, non-branded diamond, but I understand why some people prefer Tiffany.

I love gemstone engagement rings and I really think that as long as it's a tough stone that doesn't need a lot of coddling, they are a really great alternative.

But, as a note, gems vary in density, so a sapphire and a diamond of the same carat weight are visually different sizes. For instance, sapphires are heavier than diamonds, so a one carat sapphire is smaller in size than a one carat diamond. Make sure you check out the size of the specific ring before you make a decision!

I love gemstone engagement rings and I really think that as long as it's a tough stone that doesn't need a lot of coddling, they are a really great alternative.

But, as a note, gems vary in density, so a sapphire and a diamond of the same carat weight are visually different sizes. For instance, sapphires are heavier than diamonds, so a one carat sapphire is smaller in size than a one carat diamond. Make sure you check out the size of the specific ring before you make a decision!

Ooo I did not know that! Thanks for the info!

No one can answer that for you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a colored-stone engagement ring, but if you would be getting a colored stone JUST because of the price then I don't think you will be happy in the long run. If the Tiffany name is truly important to you, would you consider going with a smaller diamond and trading up later on? Personally, I would choose a larger, non-branded diamond, but I understand why some people prefer Tiffany.

I understand that buying from Tiffany means paying a premium, but I prefer having that peace of mind that I'm getting high quality gems and diamonds and metal for the money I'm paying, and additionally, top-notch service. We were ripped off by a jeweler that we thought were our friends, and they replaced the diamonds from my grandma's ring (family heirloom) with smaller, cloudier diamonds =(

I might be a little more paranoid than the average buyer but I wouldn't rule out non-branded diamonds either! I just feel safer and more comfortable buying from a place like Tiffany's than a small jeweler.

I love both diamonds and colored gems - I originally wanted a pink sapphire engagement ring like Nicole Ritchie's (when she was first engaged) and after seeing Kate Middleton's sapphire engagement ring, it reignited my passion for non-diamond e-rings!!

Thanks for your input - I never thought about trading up!

I'm a traditionalist so I wouldn't go with semiprecious gems like spinel, tanzanite, aquamarine or tourmaline. IMHO, they look more like cocktail rings than e-rings and they're more trend than classics. Spinel, tanzanite, aquamarine etc aren't expensive stones and they're seriously overpriced at Tiffany's. I'd stick with the traditional ones like sapphires, rubies or emeralds and of course diamonds. For your budget (ie $25K), you could get a really nice quality diamond, and if you go the non-branded route, you could go up to 2ct. That's about the same price I paid for one side of my earrings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the chart ahertz!!! That is EXTREMELY helpful.

And thanks evekitti, I didn't know tourmaline, tanzanite, spinel, etc. were so overpriced at Tiffany!! I've done a lot of diamond research and just put my faith into Tiffany that what I would be getting would be worth my money.

Guess not!

Okay, after reviewing the chart, pricing gemstones elsewhere, and looking at more pictures, I think I'll stick with a diamond from a (trusted) store from the jewelry district. Thanks everyone for all your help!!

^^ Glad we could help you make a decision!

You can get an even better deal online. Check out briangavindiamonds.com, jamesallen.com and goodoldgold.com. They are all very reputable!

My DF and I went through a trusted jeweler in the diamond district of NYC and I couldn't be happier. We had looked at Tiffany's, but for our budget and my wants in a ring, going custom ended up being the way to go. I, too, love Tiffany's for their CS and essentially for piece of mind, but I was part of the ering process from start to finish which meant a lot to me. I hand picked my diamonds, ensuring that I was getting the absolute best that our budget allowed, as opposed to Tiffany's where only a certain number of diamonds are available. It took me two months to find my center stone, but it was so worth it!! My ring is a dream and I know my jeweler stands behind his work 100%.

My dh chose a stone from the diamond district for my e-ring. My diamond was a G, VS2 diamond and sparkly -- if I had known how much he saved, I would have insisted on a bigger diamond ;)

I purchased our plain gold comfort wedding bands from Tiffany's. I am so glad I did. I purchased a pair of 5mm bands. And an extra band that was thinner. Over the years, the wedding bands purchases meant so much more to me.

For colored e-ring gemstones.... I'd probably choose green emerald with side diamonds a la Harry Winston style. Tiffany's sells the very popular diamond flanked by sapphires.

Last edited:
ahertz - that chart is so interesting, thank you!

rainrowan - we did the same thing, I have a non branded 2 ct diamond that I adore, and plain gold 6mm wedding bands from Tiffany's. I love mine, it's the exact same size as my Mom and Grandma had. DH lost his band though.:rant:

I am starting to think I'd like to add a really thin eternity to the stack for our 10th anniversary though.... :graucho:

rainrowan - we did the same thing, I have a non branded 2 ct diamond that I adore, and plain gold 6mm wedding bands from Tiffany's. I love mine, it's the exact same size as my Mom and Grandma had. DH lost his band though.:rant:

I am starting to think I'd like to add a really thin eternity to the stack for our 10th anniversary though.... :graucho:

Oh no lanasyogamama, my dh did the same thing with his ring! He misplaced his ring and I was pretty :wtf: especially since it was his only ring! We didn't see it for another 7 years... until I found it in a watch box he hadn't touched in all that time... so never say never it might still show up ;)

And yes to your anniversary/eternity ring -- I found my eternity on eBay. I was a fiend on a mission and it took several months before I got the one I wanted within our budget. Took a long time but it was worth it.