Diamond (jewelry district) vs. Colored Gemstone (Tiffany Legacy) E-Ring?

Rounds don't work best for enhancing the color of a stone. Colored diamonds may be cut for color retention vs light performance. The busier facets that radiants have help to amplify the color in colored diamonds due to how the light travels through the diamond. David at Diamonds by Lauren would be a good person to explain all this to you. I'm just paraphrasing. I'd just have someone like that help educate you on colored diamond basics. There are different things to look for.

Diamonds by Lauren is a pretty cool site with lovely pieces at reasonable prices, but the color of their fancy yellows are all too light for me - the fancy yellows at Tiffany seem more like the fancy intense colors advertised on the DbL site. I'll take a look at the other site you linked me :smile: Thanks!

A diamond is a diamond, and if you have a GIA report you can be sure of it's quality without the name brand! : )

GIA reports can be faked or the actual report multiplied and sold with different diamonds, I am in the business and the stuff I have seen and the heartaches are just too numerous. So, please just be careful, if a deal is too good to be true it probably is. If you do go the certified route and get one with a GIA report make sure it has the laser inscription as well, it is just one more measure to insure you get what you pay for.

I only mentioned getting a non-certified stone as a way to save money, diamond grading is all really subjective. You can even send the same exact stone to GIA and get different results, it just depends on the graders.

But, a good jeweler will stand behind their diamond and give you a refund if it varies a lot from what they stated it to be. You are in CA and so is GIA. You could actually drop off the stone and get it back in a couple of days. I would highly recommend buying the diamond of your dreams and having a custom setting made. Leon Mege is supposed to be amazing. I however have not seen his work in person, but from what I have seen on his site and on this site, I would definitely consider it.

I noticed that you are now considering colored diamonds, please always ask if they have been treated in anyway. There are a lot of enhanced diamonds on the market.

GIA reports can be faked or the actual report multiplied and sold with different diamonds, I am in the business and the stuff I have seen and the heartaches are just too numerous. So, please just be careful, if a deal is too good to be true it probably is. If you do go the certified route and get one with a GIA report make sure it has the laser inscription as well, it is just one more measure to insure you get what you pay for.

I only mentioned getting a non-certified stone as a way to save money, diamond grading is all really subjective. You can even send the same exact stone to GIA and get different results, it just depends on the graders.

But, a good jeweler will stand behind their diamond and give you a refund if it varies a lot from what they stated it to be. You are in CA and so is GIA. You could actually drop off the stone and get it back in a couple of days. I would highly recommend buying the diamond of your dreams and having a custom setting made. Leon Mege is supposed to be amazing. I however have not seen his work in person, but from what I have seen on his site and on this site, I would definitely consider it.

I noticed that you are now considering colored diamonds, please always ask if they have been treated in anyway. There are a lot of enhanced diamonds on the market.

Regarding the enhanced colored diamonds, I would not recommend them as no one really knows for sure or can guarantee what happens to the enhancement over time. Non-treated colored diamonds are extremely rare and therefore command a much higher price. The deeper the color the more rare and therefore more expensive, so just ask so you are aware of what you are purchasing, because even the enhanced ones command a premium.

Diamonds by Lauren is a pretty cool site with lovely pieces at reasonable prices, but the color of their fancy yellows are all too light for me - the fancy yellows at Tiffany seem more like the fancy intense colors advertised on the DbL site. I'll take a look at the other site you linked me :smile: Thanks!

You should email the owner (David) at DbL and tell him what you're looking for. He can probably source something for you if you're interested.

Holloway cut adviser is only for round brilliants. For cushion you really need to go by what type of look you want, but I've found that yellow diamonds are generally the modified brilliant type. I personally prefer chunky cushions and think the august vintage cut on goodoldgold.com are AMAZING.

PMing you right now with my jeweler's info.

Thanks for the info. It was super helpful - my boyfriend was with me while I was reading your post and I had him read it as well. This just reaffirms my already paranoia of dealing with small jewelry places!!! Sometimes I feel like I'd rather just pay a premium on a name brand with the peace of mind that I'm getting what I'm paying for.

Of course there are reputable places too. That's why I try to work on a referral system or I check BBB or Yelp for reviews on those types of establishments! :smile:

You should email the owner (David) at DbL and tell him what you're looking for. He can probably source something for you if you're interested.

Holloway cut adviser is only for round brilliants. For cushion you really need to go by what type of look you want, but I've found that yellow diamonds are generally the modified brilliant type. I personally prefer chunky cushions and think the august vintage cut on goodoldgold.com are AMAZING.

PMing you right now with my jeweler's info.

Thanks ahertz!

A lot of you have mentioned the L.A jewelry mart. I would like to upgrade my engagement ring. Can you give me names of businesses you have used there and were happy with? Thanks

I am very partial to gemstone engagement rings....They are so rich, exotic and European and don't like the cookie cutter massed produced diamond e-ring that everyone else has. I also love that you can personalize them between the couple by choosing birthstones or favorite colors and even the birthstone for the month you met. My personal favorite is the aqua legacy ring. For myself...I like a celebrity sized stone! I'm a jewelry loving girl so my fiance presented me with a nearly eight carat cotton candy pink morganite dripping in two carats of VVS D diamonds that he had designed at Carats & Colors www.caratsandcolors.com :graucho: I know it is way too much ring for some but for me nothing small would do.

Attachments

• E Taylor.jpeg
    E Taylor.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 405
  • E Taylor 1.jpeg
    E Taylor 1.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 400
  • E Taylor side.jpeg
    E Taylor side.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 316
  • Top of ring.jpg
    Top of ring.jpg