Home & Garden Designer and Other Furniture

I like mixing but overall I think it still will flow.

Was on the hunt for an akari (sold out) floor lamp so I’m making due with a thrift find (because I really need the light) until it comes back in stock or I find another comparable.

69901B2B-9945-4E3F-A4FC-9E33F050D0C2.jpeg
^akari style, pic courtesy of noguchi shop.

I also really like the togo couch despite it being “Instagram famous”, but I’ll have to wait until I get in front of one for the butt test.

84B52029-257A-40D5-A5BB-E7A6B212A713.jpeg

Apparently, my taste is a bit corporate as per DH
I like this couch (scroll down underneath the Jupiter lounge chair )
I love the wood shell. The chair reminds me of the central sofas in the Lutetia’s tea room. The wood casing reminds me of boats and also their sizes. Nothing better than a large chair that one can bundle up to read a book or scroll through the forum.

Reactions: Kevinaxx
I love that chair! Does he mean like hospitality?

I think blending in MCM works with nearly all designs. I’m pretty eclectic, I lean a little masculine probably.
MCM works so well with ornate antiques imo. Some of my favorites rooms have MCM and brightly lacquered ornate French pieces. So fun!!

I have a great deal of fun sourcing pieces for our home. I like finding my fave few and asking DH to help pick… he thinks he’s designing lol
My taste is all over and I like to choose slowly because expensive regrets haunt me lol

We moved to our current home 2.5 years ago and I’m still filling it. Waiting on some really fun pieces right now, I love it!
MCM with lacquer and ornate French pieces sounds wonderful. Not something one sees everyday, but definitely something people will remember and be inspired by.

Filling a home is a full time job. It has taken me well over 7 years to get to a place where I don’t reshuffle every room every couple months. I mostly buy at auctions, estate sales, online second hand platforms, and even Craigslist, so the hunt is the most fun for me. Back in February, I found a Mario Bellini marble side table for just $100 on Craigslist. I couldn’t believe my eyes and instantly drove up to pick it up. Thankfully, I had just the place for it and didn’t have to rethink the space.

I love all the stories and memories behind every piece whether it’s a heart shaped rock my daughter found or lacquer boxes I brought back from Myanmar. Finding the perfect fun piece is just so exciting!

There are a few things that I had read or heard about furnishing homes that have stuck with me.
1: you can never have enough chairs! And certainly don’t be afraid to mix and match.
2: never, ever furnish a room or home from the one store.
3: never forget live plants whether they are flowers or potted plants. Side note: this one renowned Parisian florist (completely forgot his name) once told me that bouquets are most beautiful right before they die when the leaves and petals are no longer as crisp and perfect.

I think this also pertains to a living space: furniture that has been used and shows some wear and usage is when a room truly completes itself.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880 and Kevinaxx
MCM with lacquer and ornate French pieces sounds wonderful. Not something one sees everyday, but definitely something people will remember and be inspired by.

Filling a home is a full time job. It has taken me well over 7 years to get to a place where I don’t reshuffle every room every couple months. I mostly buy at auctions, estate sales, online second hand platforms, and even Craigslist, so the hunt is the most fun for me. Back in February, I found a Mario Bellini marble side table for just $100 on Craigslist. I couldn’t believe my eyes and instantly drove up to pick it up. Thankfully, I had just the place for it and didn’t have to rethink the space.

I love all the stories and memories behind every piece whether it’s a heart shaped rock my daughter found or lacquer boxes I brought back from Myanmar. Finding the perfect fun piece is just so exciting!

There are a few things that I had read or heard about furnishing homes that have stuck with me.
1: you can never have enough chairs! And certainly don’t be afraid to mix and match.
2: never, ever furnish a room or home from the one store.
3: never forget live plants whether they are flowers or potted plants. Side note: this one renowned Parisian florist (completely forgot his name) once told me that bouquets are most beautiful right before they die when the leaves and petals are no longer as crisp and perfect.

I think this also pertains to a living space: furniture that has been used and shows some wear and usage is when a room truly completes itself.

The combo is really cool, only need one lacquered piece, the lacquer brings the old into the modern age, it's pretty fun! One friend did this in her daughter's room. The furniture was all clean lines and they had a huge ornate dresser lacquered in fuschia, it was amazing!

Curating is fun if you're not in a hurry or OCD!

We entertain a lot, so I agree about seating, never enough. Currently waiting on a velvet/brass swivel to be delivered and 3 benches lol
I don't like matchy matchy so agree with not buying from one store. Heck, no one's closet is full of one brand!
We recently added 5 huge potted plants (jade, bird of paradise and figs) and sweet DH sends flowers every other week. I feel like live plants or flowers are instant mood lifters and make your environment healthy!

I also like a great outdoor space and I like our spaces to flow from in to out. . . meaning I like some of my furniture/rugs/planters, flooring etc. . . outside, to echo my inside style, and vice versa, explains why I like very large houseplant/trees perhaps!

My latest purchases include light fixtures; three couches from Pierre Agustin Rose, below, and two greenish charcoal gray curved couches; a commissioned fireplace; and i am leaning towards one marble side board (carved out of one piece, like sculpture, that fit a modern French aesthetic

Last edited:
My latest purchases include light fixtures; three couches from Pierre Agustin Rose, below, and two greenish charcoal gray curved couches; a commissioned fireplace; and i am leaning towards one marble side board (carved out of one piece, like sculpture, that fit a modern French aesthetic

sideboard, Artemest
day bed, PAR
fireplace, inspired by Kolkhoze
sconces, (forgot the designer, but available through The Invisable collection or Par Excellence)
chandelier, custom brushed bronze, Yakata by diakon studios
The photos you shared in the other thread were :love:

• Thanks
Reactions: 880
The photos you shared in the other thread were :love:
@Christofle , I’m moving them to this thread lol; it’s a better fit since OP.s. post was moved to the Amanda Mull Thread
:biggrin:

everything is already purchased except for the sideboard which is imminent :smile:

sideboard, Artemest
One day bed, same color as pic for the dressing room; two gray curved couches, Pierre Agustin Rose
fireplace, inspired by Kolkhoze (the original is in marble; we decided on french limestone)
sconces, (forgot the designer, but available through The Invisable collection or Par Excellence)
chandelier, custom brushed bronze, Yakata by diakon studios
B9EB76D5-3DFE-459A-89E6-9E884B6C3FF5.jpeg17B94BDB-3DF8-4707-A392-0697C9C71C9B.jpegB8D041A3-5479-4493-B35A-A8CB32CAF8C3.jpegDB0B2D6C-6A02-4753-B4DD-723D2A4727F9.jpegCBEC6E0A-1AB5-4B8D-8629-B17DF888AC74.jpegD3E4AF05-ED59-4106-A313-B69ED836E4D1.jpegBEDCEA61-FA99-4FA9-8690-B5B737AA3CBB.jpegD39C0A93-A3A6-4645-9A45-4B1256550CCD.jpeg
ETA: also purchased two Ella chairs (each seat two people) but not the round ottoman by Piet boon and the SORs beam bench (we are customizing it to raise the back to a sofa height

9EA15CB1-85DD-4ADA-942C-80FEBB2DC9E0.jpeg B53F661B-305E-4EC3-8E3D-C85663E382BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Teak travertine outdoor dining room table, chairs, couch, coffeetable, and arm chairs
(DH’s picks. He didn’t want anything that looked like indoor furniture.
And, I am just grateful that the pieces are in stock)
Although I’m not crazy about matched furniture, this was easy

Last edited:
Teak travertine outdoor dining room table, chairs, couch, coffeetable, and arm chairs
(DH’s picks. He didn’t want anything that looked like indoor furniture.
And, I am just grateful that the pieces are in stock)
Although I’m not crazy about matched furniture, this was easy

That's beautiful. You have exquisite taste! I've been on the hunt for outdoor furniture for our main deck and finally settled on the Roda Eden sectional. Need something for our upper deck so I popped onto the shopharbour website to see your choice, and found one that would be suitable upstairs application, so thank you!

• Love
Reactions: 880
That's beautiful. You have exquisite taste! I've been on the hunt for outdoor furniture for our main deck and finally settled on the Roda Eden sectional. Need something for our upper deck so I popped onto the shopharbour website to see your choice, and found one that would be suitable upstairs application, so thank you!
Thanks so much @WingNut :smile: I just googled roda Eden sectionals , and they are all stunning! I love all of the configurations and colors. Hope to see pics of your stuff if you are so inclined. :biggrin:

While harbour isn’t cheap, our interior designer feels it’s on the more reasonable side of the crazy price spectrum that is outdoor furniture and sturdy enough to handle everyday dirt and pollution. It also seems to have smaller footprint which is nice for our entertaining space and absolutely necessary for our smaller terrace off our bedroom and dressing room. we are also limited by what can fit into a prewar elevator or carried up numerous flights of stairs :doh:

The harbour SA also told us that harbor furniture covers don’t have ties, so we should get furniture covers on amazon or something. would Love to get recommendations if you have any!

Last edited:
Thanks so much @WingNut :smile: I just googled roda Eden sectionals , and they are all stunning! I love all of the configurations and colors. Hope to see pics of your stuff if you are so inclined. :biggrin:

While harbour isn’t cheap, our interior designer feels it’s on the more reasonable side of the crazy price spectrum that is outdoor furniture and sturdy enough to handle the dirt and pollution of the city.

The harbour SA also told us that harbor furniture covers don’t have ties, so we should get furniture covers on amazon or something. would Love to get recommendations if you have any!
I love the Harbour and (almost) wish I had seen it before deciding on the Eden, but we have a curved deck and the pieces we chose fit perfectly. And yeah, the prices are downright :eek: :crybaby: Luckily the Harbour looks great for our other application! (I'm specifically looking at the Avalon 2-seat sofa). The Roda Eden decision has been about a year in the making figuring out the fabrics, specific configuration etc. We're getting 2 Laze chairs to go with it. Going whole hog on our deck this year since we redid the surface last year in ipe and tile. Bonus is that we plan to take this with us if we do make a move further south as we retire. The sectional will have 2 seats with backs, then the trapezoidal piece then a backless piece on the other side that can be either seating or a table. Previously I had (still have) a Costco "woven" units that cost me $2K 7 years ago (so that owes me nada!). Wanted more seating but it's no longer available so now I "have to" get to splurge.

Pic of deck attached, with pic of Eden that I used as inspiration for the design (along with 2 Laze chairs which I cannot resist - the black chair at the left of the screenshot is Laze).

FYI CoverStore makes furniture covers, even to your measurements. They have 3 different levels of quality/waterproofing IIRC. We had a set made for about $350 for the Costco set and they fit exactly and stay put and are waterproof. https://www.coverstore.com/patio-furniture-covers/seating-chair-covers

OT Side note: My husband made our deck railing. He builds race cars and put his roll-cage welding skills to good use :love:

Deck - 1 (1).jpeg

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 9.23.18 AM.png

Last edited: